+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Beating the benefit scroungers: how NOT to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie View Post
    Let’s suppose that’s true. That means not only is the benefit system providing them with enough cash not to work and eat too much of the wrong stuff, it’s also doing nothing about it as they turn themselves from people who maybe were not willing to work, into people unable to who now need increased medical resources because they aren’t educated properly (perhaps). That’s not a system I want to be forced under threat of prison to pay for.
    Go to a restaurant or a clothes shop, be unsatisfied with the product, complain, and often it’s “sorry sir, here’s a free dessert, your cash back”, etc...
    Complain about the “product” the Govt provides with your taxes & if it’s about welfare migrants or the unwilling to work getting it, one is often branded a racist or heartless simply for saying, “errr, excuse me, doesn’t look like the system is working as well as it should.”
    I think the American system is a lot less generous than ours from what I know of it, which addmitedly isn't much

Knock, knock.
    “****ing hell, you three look like riot police, what do you want?”
    “Give us that tax.”
    “What tax?”
    “That tax you didn’t declare on your return. Give it us or we’ll bend your arm up yer back, shove you in that van & send you to prison.”
    “What are you going to do with it?”
    “Give it to him over there.”
    “But he’s a Muslim with 3 wives and none of them work, why don’t they go and get jobs? The unemployment rate among Muslim women is massive compared to the rest of society, why is that?”
    “Are you a racist?”
    “No, I’m an Islamophobe, NCM said so.”
    “Right well, we’ll prosecute & fine you for Hate Speech then & give more money to him.”
    “Hang on, don’t I pay your wages as well?”
    Booofff!!!

Knock, knock.
    “****ing hell, you three look like riot police, what do you want?”
    “Give us that tax.”
    “What tax?”
    “That tax you didn’t declare on your return. Give it us or we’ll bend your arm up yer back, shove you in that van & send you to prison.”
    Doesn't quite work like that

You get a letter explaining that in 2012 they investigated xyz.

It pretty much reads as

As you worked for xyz that year, the *WHOLE* of that years earnings are deemed to be associated with xyz (even though their records show you were only there 6 weeks of the year).

As you earned abc, and paid def in tax you therefore owe us a ton of cash. We have applied interest at the rate of 8% per year on this figure, please would you bring your personal tax account up to date by paying lmnpo as soon as possible or we may have to appoint bailiffs to collect the money.

Yours lovingly

HMRC

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    I must be looking in the wrong place, it's literally Ice cream, hot dog sausage and Pizza, rubbish food in my Tesco in Carlton
    We get some of those offers, but here in Hartlepool (it's only 135 mile away give or take), Veg is always on offer.

The fish counter is always pretty good as well, but that might be due to living close to the sea

I am a frequent visitor to NZ who also have an obesity problem. To feed a family of 4 on fish and chips is about £6 but one cauliflower
    costs about£3-4, one leek is about £1 and cabbage about £2 to £3 each what do you think the poorer people buy?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I am a frequent visitor to NZ who also have an obesity problem. To feed a family of 4 on fish and chips is about £6 but one cauliflower
    costs about£3-4, one leek is about £1 and cabbage about £2 to £3 each what do you think the poorer people buy?
    Leek price about right, but they saw you coming on the cabbage & cauliflower. Countdown online has them at about £1.30 & £1.50 respectively.

Leek price about right, but they saw you coming on the cabbage & cauliflower. Countdown online has them at about £1.30 & £1.50 respectively.
    Maybe now but
    this was in 3 different Countdowns, similar in New World and slightly cheaper in Pak n Save. This was in Jan/ Feb/March this year.
    Fast food much cheaper than fresh fruit and veg etc.
    My daughter who as lived there 10 years can confirm.

Maybe now but
    this was in 3 different Countdowns, similar in New World and slightly cheaper in Pak n Save. This was in Jan/ Feb/March this year.
    Fast food much cheaper than fresh fruit and veg etc.
    My daughter who as lived there 10 years can confirm.
    I’d also like to know then where your daughter can get a portion of fish n chips for 3 dollars. That price looks extremely low to me.

I’d also like to know then where your daughter can get a portion of fish n chips for 3 dollars. That price looks extremely low to me.
    At her 2 local fish and chip shops fish is $3 each but a special offer is 4 fish and large portion of chips for $12 hence feed a family of 4 for about £6 or just over depending on the exchange rate. They have similar offers including sausages, pies and burgers etc.
    Many of the Chinese takeaways do similar deals.
    The cost of living in NZ is very expensive compared to the UK and certain fast foods were the only reasonably cheap items in comparison.
    Last edited by i961pie; 25-05-2018 at 06:17 AM.

At her 2 local fish and chip shops fish is $3 each but a special offer is 4 fish and large portion of chips for $12 hence feed a family of 4 for about £6 or just over depending on the exchange rate. They have similar offers including sausages, pies and burgers etc.
    Many of the Chinese takeaways do similar deals.
    The cost of living in NZ is very expensive compared to the UK and certain fast foods were the only reasonably cheap items in comparison.
    Prices in a local chippy right now, suburban South Island New Zealand:
    Portion of chips $2.70
    Fish $2.70
    F & C for 4 then $21.60.
    Exchange rate $1.90 per £.
    That’s £11.40.
    On the cost of living thing, salaries (if you convert them to £’ss) are usually higher in NZ, & can be double for some.
    If you turn your daughter’s salary to £’ss could she earn that in the UK?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast