+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The North South Divide

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    I loved seeing those cowardly miners who had attacked the homes and the families of people wanting to work
    Their wives their kids

Don't forget that
    Who gave the orders for that to be done
    The cowardly miners unions and big brave minors

The truth is many mines had been shut down or even unworkable due to safety issues and were past the point of affordable repair
    And Maggie had to do labours dirty work

Don't forget that many then only had electricity for a couple of days a week and I remember seeing rubbish piles 4-6 feet high due to all the strikes

Something had to be done and the Iron Lady sorted it
    What a true great she will always be
    You know nothing,I lived in Ollerton Notts during the strike it was a divided village,2000 cops were based in Proteus Army Camp next to the village,there was soldiers in mufti beating up people if they didn't have Notts accents,the village was full of miners from the North East and Scotland who had lived there for years one of my mates from Durham had his leg broken and the cops got a lad originally from Yorkshire into a police van and kicked the crap out of him from the waist down he was black not black and blue.As for attacking houses the Met police attacked the village of Rainworth through the night breaking down doors and scaring women and kids looking for people assisting the strikers.I had just left the Merchant Navy and worked for two Scottish brickies we were forever getting stopped on our way to and from work and accused of being flying pickets,I can still feel the baton off one of them hitting me in the kidneys.As for coal the port of Immingham used to export millions of tons of coal per year now the docks have been expanded to import more coal from Poland.Ironically one of my brothers who had lost his job when Maltby Pit closed was employed at the docks to build the new import facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    You know nothing,I lived in Ollerton Notts during the strike it was a divided village,2000 cops were based in Proteus Army Camp next to the village,there was soldiers in mufti beating up people if they didn't have Notts accents,the village was full of miners from the North East and Scotland who had lived there for years one of my mates from Durham had his leg broken and the cops got a lad originally from Yorkshire into a police van and kicked the crap out of him from the waist down he was black not black and blue.As for attacking houses the Met police attacked the village of Rainworth through the night breaking down doors and scaring women and kids looking for people assisting the strikers.I had just left the Merchant Navy and worked for two Scottish brickies we were forever getting stopped on our way to and from work and accused of being flying pickets,I can still feel the baton off one of them hitting me in the kidneys.As for coal the port of Immingham used to export millions of tons of coal per year now the docks have been expanded to import more coal from Poland.Ironically one of my brothers who had lost his job when Maltby Pit closed was employed at the docks to build the new import facilities.
    Immingham was importing coal in the 70,s

Immingham was importing coal in the 70,s

I worked at Daw Mill in Warwickshire and Bevercotes in Nottingham for about a year. I wasn't in the UK during the troubles but I had only respect for the miners and their plight, the scenes I saw on TV were horrendous, seems some of the cops took great delight in what they were doing. By the way, both Daw Mill and Bevercotes were two of the most productive and modern mines in the UK with huge coal reserves, both gone now.

Certain people just watch TV and read newspapers.Full of the sh1te and propaganda the government wants you to see.They believe it as if it is gospel and they think they know everything about situations that changed people's lives for ever.
    My Dad worked his early working life down the pit and although he was well out of it when the strikes where on,he knew of many men affected.One even took his own life as he felt inadequate and was unable to feed his family.Support was seen as charity and he suffered in silence.
    Needless to say when the witch died,it was the worst state I have seen my Dad in since his mate passed.P1ssed wasn't the word.

I lived in chapeltown when some of the strike was going on

so I have seen both sides and both sides of the miners as well

and the scum who attacked those that wanted to work highlited to me what the unions were all about

you never saw Kinnock and his cohorts in soup ******** stc

all living the Maggie way now

some even peers

sold you all down the river
    mugs

I don't agree with pboro too often.

but I do agree that a man's right to work does not make him a scab.
    I also agree that a man like neil Kinnock fanned the flames of the vulnerable what living the life of a Lord.

I do however despise Thatcher (and her propaganda rag that masquerades as a newspaper) and everything she did to ruin and decimate communities, resorting them to turning on each other.

You see, it depends on sections of people/communities and certain working practices as to whether Thatcher was the good, bad and indifferent.
    A sort of clear marmite leader (puppet) in a way, throughout the entire country.
    The woman had to right wrongs but wronged the rights in the process.

There's loads of bad things she's done in terms of direct hits on communities, including the miners, especially. But there's no smoke without fire and you have to look at the unions and how they became a help and a hindrance and generally not in equal terms for the betterment of the people they were supposed to serve.

Many people in the north east voted and do still vote, labour... but the truth is that each party simply robs Peter to pay Paul. Puts a penny in your right hand and takes two from the left. All parties.

No doubt about it the miners suffered horrendously.
    The problem was, Scargill pushed them into a battle that they were not going to win and would have been best served in seeing out their time and going with whatever flow... in terms of new jobs after closures...which wouldn't have been easy for most but at least they could have done it without (in some) criminal records (unfair...but) and debt and starvation, plus a massive split in the entire communities in just about everything, which was a massive shame.

In an ideal world...a fair world, where the working person was catered for in terms of things like what happened with the mines...in terms of ensuring there was near flawless movement back into work in short order with subsidies to ensure the transition was as painless as possible, there wouldn't be any need for anyone to battle out a stance on keeping something open that is clearly earmarked as close to unworkable - unsustainable - unprofitable and basically unstable for the hard working miner.

Scargill and co played a game that cost thousands of men a lot more than just losing their jobs.
    Thatcher could have dealt with it much better, but when something is irretrievable and has to be changed to progress then someone is going to lose a battle and we all know it's not going to be the strong arm of the law under Government control, whether that law is a legal one or designed specifically to deal with any battle, to see that it is done.

I hated what Thatcher done with a lot...or who was pulling her strings...but equally labour left a nice big mess for her to clear up and clearing up the mess of one Government is never going to be a bed of sweet smelling roses.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 24-05-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Well I am glad the bitch is dead.I bet there is more feel that way than are saddened by it.Didnt her son get involved in something dodgy a few years back as well.Must run in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    Well I am glad the bitch is dead.I bet there is more feel that way than are saddened by it.Didnt her son get involved in something dodgy a few years back as well.Must run in the family.
    She’s of the same ilk as Adolf hitler and papa doc

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)