+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saunders

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I was less sceptical a few years ago when we signed Sean Canham from Team Bath. He had been released earlier in his career by Exeter, but had an exceptional goal record in the Conference North which appeared to make him a legitimate punt, especially as we hadn't got a bean to spend on strikers at the time, but even this prospect never materialised. Last heard of playing in Australian lower league soccer I believe.
    You can almost get misty-eyed over Sean Canham when you compare him to an even bigger gamble, the one and only Steve Scoffham!

Some clubs find a Jamie Vardy, we managed to find Canham and Scoffham! When I said we need to get better at it, I meant we need to get much, much better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    You can almost get misty-eyed over Sean Canham when you compare him to an even bigger gamble, the one and only Steve Scoffham!

Some clubs find a Jamie Vardy, we managed to find Canham and Scoffham! When I said we need to get better at it, I meant we need to get much, much better at it.
    Steve Scuff 'em, as he became known to some on here.

I'm not sure the problem with him was so much lack of ability on the pitch, as lack of brain cells on and off it. He cracked his leg with a ridiculous challenge that set his career back a year, then there were rumours on here and elsewhere that he was living the party life rather than that of a serious professional footballer, even during his recovery. You would think that if you were playing for Gedling and someone offered you a legitimate first-team chance at professional football in League Two, you would dedicate your whole life all day every day to grasping it!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Steve Scuff 'em, as he became known to some on here.

I'm not sure the problem with him was so much lack of ability on the pitch, as lack of brain cells on and off it. He cracked his leg with a ridiculous challenge that set his career back a year, then there were rumours on here and elsewhere that he was living the party life rather than that of a serious professional footballer, even during his recovery. You would think that if you were playing for Gedling and someone offered you a legitimate first-team chance at professional football in League Two, you would dedicate your whole life all day every day to grasping it!
    Was it not well known that he rebroke his leg playing 5 a side? As i remember it he hit a run of form before his leg break at Northampton, we were in their posh seats in the main stand so unfortunately were close enough to hear it...

I never remember Canham showing an ounce of talent but some people regard McParland as a good eye for a player because he managed to sign some good ones with an open cheque book

I can only go back to my previous post. I can't really argue with anything you say (apart from suggesting that I'm sometimes deliberately awkward, when has that ever happened???). I never had any confidence in either Saunders or Hodge making the first team, but sometimes it comes off, although never for us in recent years. The principle of signing potential talent on minimal wages is one I think we should still pursue, we just need to get better at it. The other end of the scale is to sign journeymen who have "been there, done that", but we've also tried that many times without much to show for it either.
    Like you always do, sit on the fence. Toss pot

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Like you always do, sit on the fence. Toss pot
    You really are a moron. One minute I'm too opinionated, the next minute I sit on the fence! It's pretty clear what my opinion is on this topic, but not for the first time you are too pigsh!t thick to work it out. You wouldn't have commented if that post had been made by anyone other than me. Do us all a favour and crawl back under your stone.

You really are a moron. One minute I'm too opinionated, the next minute I sit on the fence! It's pretty clear what my opinion is on this topic, but not for the first time you are too pigsh!t thick to work it out. You wouldn't have commented if that post had been made by anyone other than me. Do us all a favour and crawl back under your stone.
    And you ..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    And you ..
    Wow, when it comes to schoolgirl comebacks, I have to admit that you are hard to beat.

I'm just surprised you didn't put "na-na-na-na-na" after it.

Wow, when it comes to schoolgirl comebacks, I have to admit that you are hard to beat.

I'm just surprised you didn't put "na-na-na-na-na" after it.
    Your rants and spats are just fantastic
    Keep them coming

Canham, Needham, Scoffham, there's a message there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12