+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Chien Gang really interested in football ?

Quote Originally Posted by lk311 View Post
    Bizarre isn’t it, I just don’t get why they would be interested in the paltry returns they would get on the above model given their wealth.
    I also don’t believe given their wealth there would be interest from the property side of things as suggested by some.

In fact short of them kidding themselves that they can create another Chelsea, I can’t see why they would be interested. To quote an esteemed poster somats not right down there

To quote an even more esteemed source

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Bizarre isn’t it, I just don’t get why they would be interested in the paltry returns they would get on the above model given their wealth.
    I also don’t believe given their wealth there would be interest from the property side of things as suggested by some.

In fact short of them kidding themselves that they can create another Chelsea, I can’t see why they would be interested. To quote an esteemed poster somats not right down there
    The discovery of talent for relatively small outlay and sold on for a very good margin is the only USP I can detect IK311 , much like yourself and many others I've tried to find another and there isn't one .

It's no coincidence that the plan which was formulated inside the club's own offices has now attracted capital investors .

A £24.1m return minus costs for an £550k investment in 3 years would definitely be attractive to most venture capitalists .

They would also be greatly impressed by a majority of the fan base who are willing to accept only a third of the profits reinvested back into the business and a further share of that leaving the business altogether .

Little wonder it was too good to be true for Paul Conway .

Although I'd scale down my expectations if I was Paul judging by the end result of our latest crop off the spreadsheet and if you get your money back on the purchase of this club and nothing more then I'd consider that a result personally .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 23-05-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Yeah but don’t forget out of that £24.1 you have the running of the club, wages, people who didn’t make the grade etc to factor out.
    Even if it wasn’t I still find it hard to believe £8 million a year with all the hassle involved would motivate someone of Chiens standing.

Even if you factor in doing it on a bigger scale I’m sure from memory only, SBR demonstrated sometime ago there was little money made at NICE(could be wrong on that), difference there though is land is worth a lot in NICE.

The real money in Football is in the East in terms of marketing, Champions League and Premier League, I wonder if perhaps they see their return being having a team like PSG, who can qualify for Champions league every year and can be marketed into the East in a big way and people like BFC etc are nothing more than a feeder chain.

One thing is for sure the next coach and transfer window should give us a better insight.

Its an absolute pittance what they’ve invested to buy us in relative terms in their wealth if you share out the 80% between them all. It’s a hobby for some or just another small asset in their portfolio for others. I’d expect in a couple of years to see the board have thinned out and just one or two of them involved at most along with James. Similar to when all those Billionaires and millionaires bought QPR

Yeah but don’t forget out of that £24.1 you have the running of the club, wages, people who didn’t make the grade etc to factor out.
    Even if it wasn’t I still find it hard to believe £8 million a year with all the hassle involved would motivate someone of Chiens standing.

Even if you factor in doing it on a bigger scale I’m sure from memory only, SBR demonstrated sometime ago there was little money made at NICE(could be wrong on that), difference there though is land is worth a lot in NICE.

The real money in Football is in the East in terms of marketing, Champions League and Premier League, I wonder if perhaps they see their return being having a team like PSG, who can qualify for Champions league every year and can be marketed into the East in a big way and people like BFC etc are nothing more than a feeder chain.

One thing is for sure the next coach and transfer window should give us a better insight.
    I did say £24.1m minus costs IK311 but we have also received £10m in sky tv revenue these last two years , sponsorship , advertising , corporate hospitality and ST sales that help fund our costs .

I wish I could unearth another angle as to why they are here to make money but I can't .

Even if they were to invest significantly in the squad in order to have a crack at gaining PL status it's unlikely that we have the brand to attract the kind of players we'd require .

The only other way that would happen is if we had another hot streak in recruitment but then again as we've seen the club does not have the historically ambition to keep them here .

The land surrounding the club is only part owned and it would take an extraordinary offer from the consortium to gain the other half from BMBC who also act as a fire wall to protect the history and heritage of the club .

Nothing adds up other than the returns on the sale of players previously enjoyed by the previous owner and may have painted a false impression to the profitability within the business .

All very bizarre as you say mate .

Every body seems to think that the new owners can't cash in on the ground/land
    What if they decided to build a new stadium up Doduth for instance & move the team to the new ground [a la American NFL style]
    What good would an empty Oakwell be to BMBC Would this force [eventually] BMBC to come to a deal with the new owners over Oakwell & the land
    Might be way off but just a thought

I think Chien and the rest of the busy directors spent weeks getting the Barnsley bid through so they can then pour millions of pounds of their own money down the drain.
    This is what all successful business people do.
    Lol !!!
    Jeez - yer couldn’t make it up!!!
    Is Chien Lee interested in football - lol !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I think Chien and the rest of the busy directors spent weeks getting the Barnsley bid through so they can then pour millions of pounds of their own money down the drain.
    This is what all successful business people do.
    Lol !!!
    Jeez - yer couldn’t make it up!!!
    Is Chien Lee interested in football - lol !!!

And your theory is?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The discovery of talent for relatively small outlay and sold on for a very good margin is the only USP I can detect IK311 , much like yourself and many others I've tried to find another and there isn't one .

It's no coincidence that the plan which was formulated inside the club's own offices has now attracted capital investors .

A £24.1m return minus costs for an £550k investment in 3 years would definitely be attractive to most venture capitalists .

They would also be greatly impressed by a majority of the fan base who are willing to accept only a third of the profits reinvested back into the business and a further share of that leaving the business altogether .

Little wonder it was too good to be true for Paul Conway .

Although I'd scale down my expectations if I was Paul judging by the end result of our latest crop off the spreadsheet and if you get your money back on the purchase of this club and nothing more then I'd consider that a result personally .
    I know diddly squat about football and even less about Barnsley, but I do know a bit about football finance.

Billionaires don't become billionaires by making poor decisions around money and taking on an English football league club with the intention of making money from it would certainly be a poor decision.

The vast majority of English clubs lose money hand over fist and are kept afloat by the largesse of their owners. Barnsley under Cryne were no exception; the last set of Barnsley accounts that I saw showed that the cub owed him around £8m. Getting your money back from your association with a football club is a rare and wonderful thing for owners

On the face of it, Barnsley made some money over the last couple of years by selling players that they had developed, but the likelihood is that was a fluke and unlikely to be repeated, particularly when a lot of the personnel associated with that have left. Are there any fantastic young players in development (I don't know)?

What was the USP of other English clubs that they looked to acquire? Have you excluded the possibility that the real USP was that the cub was owned by someone who had a compelling (and very tragic) reason to want to sell.

P.s. they aren't really venture capitalists.

Correct, Venture Capitalists invest in existing business they dont buy businesses. Most businesses that VC invest into are successful businesses with sound and solid Management structure with realistic plans to grow. Whilst most VC investments in this country are successful for the businesses, they get bad press, as they will asset strip on the rare occasion the business invested in is failing.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast