+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Chien Gang really interested in football ?

I think they want to have an active interest in English football and want to build to take us to the Premier League and took over too late to halt our slide to League 1. Morais was a mistake and Im waiting to see what the summer holds before saying I want them out.

I was unhappy about us going down and did blame them at the time. However, in hindsight the rot had set in before the january window and Morais appointment.

Yes they made an error the first of possibly many but so did the previous incumbent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I think they want to have an active interest in English football and want to build to take us to the Premier League and took over too late to halt our slide to League 1. Morais was a mistake and Im waiting to see what the summer holds before saying I want them out.

I was unhappy about us going down and did blame them at the time. However, in hindsight the rot had set in before the january window and Morais appointment.

Yes they made an error the first of possibly many but so did the previous incumbent.
    Steve there is only one way this club could get to the PL today and that's by the consortium spending £100m which clearly isn't going to happen because firstly they simply won't and secondly we haven't the brand to acquire that calibre of player .

The build slow thing won't work either because our better players will always be tempted away by bigger clubs paying them top wages .

The PL thing bolted 20 years ago and that's that , medium championship club at best mate .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Steve there is only one way this club could get to the PL today and that's by the consortium spending £100m which clearly isn't going to happen because firstly they simply won't and secondly we haven't the brand to acquire that calibre of player .

The build slow thing won't work either because our better players will always be tempted away by bigger clubs paying them top wages .

The PL thing bolted 20 years ago and that's that , medium championship club at best mate .
    Burnley, Huddersfield and Bournemouth might disagree with you Animal, I appreciate they are an exception but they did get promotion without massive amounts and stella signings being thrown at it.

Quote Originally Posted by lk311 View Post
    Burnley, Huddersfield and Bournemouth might disagree with you Animal, I appreciate they are an exception but they did get promotion without massive amounts and stella signings being thrown at it.
    Aye that's true and I've often quoted those clubs as examples myself , until you dig down deeper in to the weeds that is .

All the above paid their players significantly more money than we do at championship level , Dean Hoyle and the Bournemouth owner have spent more money on their clubs than many people realise , way above what we have , not quite certain about Burnley but I'm guessing too it was significantly more than we currently operate on .

I'd love to think it was possible and the dream still exists but my head tells me differently in all honesty .

My point is they aren't asset strippers. They swap things about. If we buy £6 millions worth this summer I'm all for us selling a Lindsay or a Bradshaw. Players come and go.
    Having given this some thought I don't believe they are asset strippers either .

Asset strippers sell in my opinion with nothing to replace with it in business terms , close this factory or that shop and it's generally gone forever .

If you sell a footballer such as Alfie Mawson or John Stones and replace them with someone else then that isn't necessarily asset stripping because they are filling the void and they may even be better than the player you have just sold on , you just don't know which makes football far more complex than some of these goon investors can get a handle on , I've made a billion dollars , well done , so try making an equal amount in football and then get back to me .

Asset stripping would be closing down the academy , selling the training facility or even Oakwell itself again in my opinion .

My total honest opinion is this , they think this club's got some magic formula to make a good margin out of off the radar football talent , they've added the Beane character who loves this shyte and thinks he can cross over from baseball to football .

They were attracted by the numbers we've previously posted and thought for 4 or 5 million quid a piece we'll have some of that .

The rest of what they say is bull shyte , they don't give a feck about investing in the community or the town , its boll@x , the only thing they seek is a good return on investment .

Why would a colective group of world wide investors give a feck about this club or the town , c'mon , making a few more quid is the only thing that drives these people and that's the reality steve in my honest opinion .

I was also unhappy and genuinely peed off about us going down so badly Ponty, and we could mention so many bad reasons for why it happened can't we.
    Jose was just the wrong man at the wrong time (and yes that means he was garbage doesn't it lol). I know our squad were lacking in quality and it wasn't Jose's squad etc, but he didn't do himself and our club any favours.
    I agree though that the rot set in a long time before that , and Im not a Hecky kisser on here am I (as you all know!).

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Having given this some thought I don't believe they are asset strippers either .

Asset strippers sell in my opinion with nothing to replace with it in business terms , close this factory or that shop and it's generally gone forever .

If you sell a footballer such as Alfie Mawson or John Stones and replace them with someone else then that isn't necessarily asset stripping because they are filling the void and they may even be better than the player you have just sold on , you just don't know which makes football far more complex than some of these goon investors can get a handle on , I've made a billion dollars , well done , so try making an equal amount in football and then get back to me .

Asset stripping would be closing down the academy , selling the training facility or even Oakwell itself again in my opinion .

My total honest opinion is this , they think this club's got some magic formula to make a good margin out of off the radar football talent , they've added the Beane character who loves this shyte and thinks he can cross over from baseball to football .

They were attracted by the numbers we've previously posted and thought for 4 or 5 million quid a piece we'll have some of that .

The rest of what they say is bull shyte , they don't give a feck about investing in the community or the town , its boll@x , the only thing they seek is a good return on investment .

Why would a colective group of world wide investors give a feck about this club or the town , c'mon , making a few more quid is the only thing that drives these people and that's the reality steve in my honest opinion .
    From the outsider's perspective, it's a strange one. Neither the 'asset stripping' nor the 'wanting to make a profit' theory make any sense.

As far as I can see, the club has very few assets to strip and what there are wouldn't make it worth the effort.

In contrast, it would be madness to take on an English league club to make money - they don't - they lose it hand over fist. Sure, Barnsley has made a little money in the transfer market in the last couple of years, but that has to be set against the backdrop of a history of it being a club like nearly every other that needs to be propped up by its owners. And again, the sums involved in Barnsley's recent "successes' in the transfer market would not make the risk worthwhile.

That they tried to buy other clubs before Barnsley suggests to me that they just want a presence in English football. The issue for you us whether they have a real interest in bringing success to the club or whether it's a toy they have bought that will be played with a couple of times before being stuck in a cupboard and forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    From the outsider's perspective, it's a strange one. Neither the 'asset stripping' nor the 'wanting to make a profit' theory make any sense.

As far as I can see, the club has very few assets to strip and what there are wouldn't make it worth the effort.

In contrast, it would be madness to take on an English league club to make money - they don't - they lose it hand over fist. Sure, Barnsley has made a little money in the transfer market in the last couple of years, but that has to be set against the backdrop of a history of it being a club like nearly every other that needs to be propped up by its owners. And again, the sums involved in Barnsley's recent "successes' in the transfer market would not make the risk worthwhile.

That they tried to buy other clubs before Barnsley suggests to me that they just want a presence in English football. The issue for you us whether they have a real interest in bringing success to the club or whether it's a toy they have bought that will be played with a couple of times before being stuck in a cupboard and forgotten about.
    I'd like to think that you don't become a billionaire businesman by continually making a ballax of things. That's where I draw my optimism.

Granted the club has dropped a division. However, even if it was just a matter of expanding their portfolio why would you want a blot on it?

I think they took over and underestimated the job in hand for whatever reason. Call it a hunch but I belive they will be desperate to get us back to the Championship through personal pride as much as anything else.

The club haven't appointed a new HC but given the error they made with the last one is it any wonder? This is maybe that due dilligence that was lacking before. Learning from a past error perhaps?

As for the vitriol about the retained list and angst over Hammill and possibly selling Lindsay. That works both ways. It could be argued how could the club extend Hammills contract without a new HC assessing the squad?

I know I waxed lyrical about Hammills departure. However, I'm willing to accept that he was out of contract and we had no HC.

As for the retained list caper. Is it? A caper. Townsend, Mills and a few young'uns haven't been retained. Yiadom was going anyway and Hammill was also assessing his options. The rest of the squad are under contract anyway so reports of Libdsay leaving and Mallan are speculative at best. To my mind nowts changed.

As for being linked with players and GG being accused of this and that retained list. How can we do this without a manager and how can we sign players without a manager? Firstly no one has signed for us and secondly the retained list in all honesty drafted itself.

I'd like to think that you don't become a billionaire businesman by continually making a ballax of things. That's where I draw my optimism.

Granted the club has dropped a division. However, even if it was just a matter of expanding their portfolio why would you want a blot on it?

I think they took over and underestimated the job in hand for whatever reason. Call it a hunch but I belive they will be desperate to get us back to the Championship through personal pride as much as anything else.

The club haven't appointed a new HC but given the error they made with the last one is it any wonder? This is maybe that due dilligence that was lacking before. Learning from a past error perhaps?

As for the vitriol about the retained list and angst over Hammill and possibly selling Lindsay. That works both ways. It could be argued how could the club extend Hammills contract without a new HC assessing the squad?

I know I waxed lyrical about Hammills departure. However, I'm willing to accept that he was out of contract and we had no HC.

As for the retained list caper. Is it? A caper. Townsend, Mills and a few young'uns haven't been retained. Yiadom was going anyway and Hammill was also assessing his options. The rest of the squad are under contract anyway so reports of Libdsay leaving and Mallan are speculative at best. To my mind nowts changed.

As for being linked with players and GG being accused of this and that retained list. How can we do this without a manager and how can we sign players without a manager? Firstly no one has signed for us and secondly the retained list in all honesty drafted itself.
    Being a billionaire doesn't make you knowledgeable about football. Fair play to them for their success in their respective business interests. However, in business you have to speculate to accumulate as I'm sure Messrs Lee, Conway and Beane are all too aware. You have to take some risks to push things to the next level or your business either stands still or declines. If you don't throw in the necessary capital how do you expect to progress?

They used the words "too good to be true" from which I take that they mean they think our plan works and makes good profit. If it were that simple wouldn't every poor club do the same? Truth is we got a good crop signed by Danny Wilson and Lee Johnson in Hourihane, Winnall, mawson, Roberts, Watkins, Scowen etc. DW & LJ are professional football people who trust their judgement and have experience in the game. We now have a baseball expert and a CEO who's still on his mother's tit calling the shots, signing players & deciding who stays and who goes.

If our consortium expects that to yield the same success then they're in for a rude awakening.

"a CEO who is still on his mother's tit"

Luvvit

Bitti, Bitti. Not nar darling. Bitti, Bitti. O Reyt then.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast