+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retained List Now On O/S

Do we know that Smith and Edwards have actually left, or just not been retained as players?

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Eddie was on next to nothing too, so am surprised at that departure.
    Something in tonight's redrag about Smith going to USA & hopefully Eddie's been offered a job elsewhere, Collin is a surprise but hopefully means that we have a better option lined up. I suspect that we will be approaching parent clubs about loanees but it will be interesting to see who we get in & what type of football we try to play next season.

There was no point any longer keeping Smith and especially Edwards even nominally as players. Does it mean they're not staying as coaches etc?

It always looked likely that Tootle, O'Connor, Jones and Duffy would be offered contracts - time will tell whether the wages on offer are acceptable to the latter 3. Given Jones and Duffy signed on a year ago, I would expect them to sign.

Surprised at Collin but again maybe wages were the issue.

We probably need to sign the first choice goalkeeper, wingers and strikers. Not easy to put together your whole attacking unit in 1 summer.

But overall pretty sensible decisions. Main issue is some of the contracted players that I'd rather not see play again!

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Eddie was on next to nothing too, so am surprised at that departure.
    Perhaps he's stopping being registered and is continuing as a fitness coach?

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    Do we know that Smith and Edwards have actually left, or just not been retained as players?
    Edwards retained on coaching staff

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Perhaps he's stopping being registered and is continuing as a fitness coach?
    According to Nottingham Post Sports Facebook page that is the case......Can't recall Eddy playing last season in the league at all...

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Something in tonight's redrag about Smith going to USA & hopefully Eddie's been offered a job elsewhere, Collin is a surprise but hopefully means that we have a better option lined up. I suspect that we will be approaching parent clubs about loanees but it will be interesting to see who we get in & what type of football we try to play next season.

Edwards staying on as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    According to Nottingham Post Sports Facebook page that is the case......Can't recall Eddy playing last season in the league at all...
    Don't think he played in any game did he? Maybe a behind closed doors friendly but certainly can't remember him being played in a competitive game including the Checkatrade

Certainly a more aggressive cull than I expected!

Collin is the major surprise, as others have said, not because he was spectacularly good, but because Nolan's public comments always suggested he rated and trusted him. I'll be interested to see whether we have a stronger alternative lined up, or whether the manager will put his faith in Fitzsimons as first choice, thus saving a wage to reinvest elsewhere. I think Ross looked very capable during his run in the team and would only get better.

I'm surprised he's released Dickinson AND Milsom, because if I was letting Dickinson go I'd remember that Milsom can play left-back as well as midfield and would offer good two-in-one cover.

Forte I think has been rumbled as a player who turns up when he feels like it or when he wants a new contract, so I'm not disappointed by that one. If we had re-signed him I suspect he would have gone back to coasting again. He's got the ability to be a good striker when he puts his mind to it, but there's something missing and it ain't likely to change at 31.

Shola, Smith, Edwards and Hunt - all understandable given the age factor, though I hope we keep Eddy on as fitness coach.

Curtis Thompson - depends if there's an underlying long-term fitness concern like there was with Julian Kelly a few years ago. If there isn't, then in my opinion we've released a good central midfielder and wasted another of our home grown products.

Callum Saunders and Elliott Hodge - categorical proof YET AGAIN that this "one for the future" and "Class of 2018" bullsh1t has to stop, period. One of the key criteria for EVERY signing this summer should be whether the player is genuinely capable of seriously competing for a first-team place from day one. If not, don't sign them. We're not Manchester united, we can't afford to carry passengers. The "ones for the future" at our club should come from our own youth team.

Let's see who takes up their new contracts.

Name:  capture5.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  20.0 KB

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast