Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
I agree with most of that but fans brought up on Carter, Scanlon, Chiedozie, Dave Smith (if you say) and even Adrian Thorpe aren't going to be satisfied with Allesandra and Hawkridge, who barely reach the byline. We need an exciting winger, and Grant isn't it either.
Dave Smith only played one season for us sadly, but he left some memories. He wasn't so much of a jinky winger type, he took the direct route. He reminded me of a clockwork toy, you would set him off sometimes even at the edge of your own penalty area and he would make a bee-line straight down the pitch, only vaguely slowing down when he got to the by-line! I remember the Sirrel Stand (home fans in those days) roaring as he whizzed past them, especially in that famous win against Sunderland to keep us up. And as for his penalty kicks, I've only seen Ray Stewart of West Ham hit them harder or better!

One of my biggest regrets is that having only started going down the Lane in 1989, I missed ever seeing Adrian Thorpe in action. I know many thought we would have been dead cert champions ahead of Sunderland (as it happens!) in Barnwell's first year if Thorpe hadn't been crippled by Doug Rougvie in a game at Brighton.