+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts County Squad 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Occasionally and unpredictably?
    A promotion chasing team needs to be on the front foot playing in the opposition's half. We shouldn't need a line of 5 defenders plus holding midfielders to play against Cheltenham, Forest Green and Yeovil. Or midfielders to drop in if we occasionally push a full back over the half way line. If I bought a season ticket and then saw 5 defenders on the team sheet, I'd be thinking 'oh s***'
    Come on, anticlough, don't you think the ball might occasionally come into the Notts half? The other team, no matter how weak, will try to attack you know. That line of five defenders will include two wing-backs who are there to overlap from defence into attack, and if you know the role of each player named on the sheet you will see how flexible it is. If it works as it should we will see those two wing-backs working as two defenders and two attackers, depending upon where they are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Come on, anticlough, don't you think the ball might occasionally come into the Notts half? The other team, no matter how weak, will try to attack you know. That line of five defenders will include two wing-backs who are there to overlap from defence into attack, and if you know the role of each player named on the sheet you will see how flexible it is. If it works as it should we will see those two wing-backs working as two defenders and two attackers, depending upon where they are needed.
    Wrong, because we know what always happens in practice.
    We've been down this road so many times before. ''Wing backs'' on paper and then leave all our attacking play down the flanks to players who are recognised full-backs, still with the instructions to defend like full-backs. Five defenders on the pitch, plus defensive midfielders is always great news for the opposition.
    I don't know why anyone would think we're shaping up like this. Have we got 3 great central defenders with the ability to defend a wide stretch of the back line and play from the back? And if they're playing close together, it usually leads them to take less responsibility. If Nolan does go this route, I'll be happy to take bets on how long it will last.

Updated with Duffy in there. Apart from the keeper/s there's only 4-5 slots left now. Really nice to see it all coming together so early...

GOALKEEPERS

GK – Ross Fitzsimons (Age 24)
    GK - TBC
    GK – TBC

DEFENCE

DR - Matt Tootle (Age 27)
    DR - TBC
    DL - Andy Kellett (Age 24)
    DL - Dan Jones (Age 31)
    DC - Shaun Brisley (Age 28)
    DC - Richard Duffy (Age 32)
    DC - Pierce Bird (Age 19)
    DC - TBC

MIDFIELD

MR - Terry Hawkridge (Age 28)
    MR – Lewis Alessandra (Age 29)
    ML – TBC
    ML – TBC
    CM - Elliott Hewitt (Age 24)
    CM - Noor Husin (Age 21)
    CM - Liam Noble (Age 27)
    CM - Tom Crawford (Age 19)
    CM - Will Patching (Age 19)

FORWARDS

CF – Kristian Dennis (Age 28)
    CF - Jon Stead (Age 35)
    CF – Kane Hemmings (Age 27)
    CF – TBC

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Updated with Duffy in there. Apart from the keeper/s there's only 4-5 slots left now. Really nice to see it all coming together so early...

GOALKEEPERS

GK – Ross Fitzsimons (Age 24)
    GK - TBC
    GK – TBC

DEFENCE

DR - Matt Tootle (Age 27)
    DR - TBC
    DL - Andy Kellett (Age 24)
    DL - Dan Jones (Age 31)
    DC - Shaun Brisley (Age 28)
    DC - Richard Duffy (Age 32)
    DC - Pierce Bird (Age 19)
    DC - TBC

MIDFIELD

MR - Terry Hawkridge (Age 28)
    MR – Lewis Alessandra (Age 29)
    ML – TBC
    ML – TBC
    CM - Elliott Hewitt (Age 24)
    CM - Noor Husin (Age 21)
    CM - Liam Noble (Age 27)
    CM - Tom Crawford (Age 19)
    CM - Will Patching (Age 19)

FORWARDS

CF – Kristian Dennis (Age 28)
    CF - Jon Stead (Age 35)
    CF – Kane Hemmings (Age 27)
    CF – TBC
    I think Kellett will play LW, and cover as LB so we have 2 for 1 there.

Still think we need a winger and a centre half. Cover up front and right back is needed. Then either O'Connor or his replacement should he leave.
    Up to 5 more to come in than?

Quote Originally Posted by iamITK View Post
    I think Kellett will play LW, and cover as LB so we have 2 for 1 there.

Still think we need a winger and a centre half. Cover up front and right back is needed. Then either O'Connor or his replacement should he leave.
    Up to 5 more to come in than?
    I agree about the winger (right side because the two we have are not good enough - Kellett will play left, he's a first team player, not cover) and centre half, and AH says ...

Two spots left to fill but the team are working hard on those at the minute. One is close and hoping to get the deal over the line for a reveal next week

so I'm not sure there will be more than two if O'Connor and Pindroch sign. The old idea of two players for every position has been abandoned, by the looks of it.

one winger, and CH need to be newbies, plus O'Connor would work, but think wed be short at right back and up front.
    Agree Kellett will start as LW, but I think he will offer cover for Jones at LB if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by iamITK View Post
    one winger, and CH need to be newbies, plus O'Connor would work, but think wed be short at right back and up front.
    Agree Kellett will start as LW, but I think he will offer cover for Jones at LB if needed.
    AH is begging Mason Bennett to come back this morning, so maybe he wants another up front too.

Alan Hardy Retweeted Mason Bennett
    Running all the way to Meadow Lane please 😂😂Alan Hardy added,

He is also hinting about a winger

@Bigalanh5 Are we trying to bring in a new winger to help supply K&K?
    Watch this space 👀 👍Alan Hardy added,

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    AH is begging Mason Bennett to come back this morning, so maybe he wants another up front too.

Alan Hardy Retweeted Mason Bennett
    Running all the way to Meadow Lane please 😂😂Alan Hardy added,

He is also hinting about a winger

@Bigalanh5 Are we trying to bring in a new winger to help supply K&K?
    Watch this space 👀 👍Alan Hardy added,
    We definitely need another striker. The thought of a bench with just Jon Stead on doesn't inspire me. Bennett could be a good option but we haven't really seen enough of him to make that judgement yet. Hopefully an exciting winger as well to get past defenders and supply the ammunition for the front two.

Another striker who is also comfortable down the flanks is still No.1 need IMO (assuming Pindroch comes back)

Think Bennett would be a great addition to the striking options. Gives us a really good mix of skills and strengths for varying tactics if we need them.

So Bennett on season long loan, another CB, a pacey winger and Pindroch will just about do us fine.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast