+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts County Squad 2018-19

Notts County Squad 2018-19

Too soon? Sorry Collin, Forte, Smith, Curtis et al. But I'm actually a bit excited about Nolan's cull and hopeful that he can use the money left over wisely to build a proper well-rounded squad to compete next season.

So, assuming the players we’ve offered new contracts to re-sign here is the squad for next season and the gaps I’d like to see filling…

GOALKEEPERS

GK – Ross Fitzsimons
    GK - Branislav Pindroch
    GK – TBC

Surprised to see Collin released, but will be happy to see his wage spent up front and Fitzsimons given a chance as number one.

DEFENCE

DR - Matt Tootle
    DR - TBC
    DL - Dan Jones
    DL - TBC
    DC - Shaun Brisley
    DC - Richard Duffy
    DC - Pierce Bird
    DC - TBC

Youth: Harry Bugg and Declan Dunn are both defenders too, tho not sure where they play.

Would love to see a pacey central defender join us and in terms of full-back cover I’d prefer to see a couple of young loanees along the lines of Bola from Arsenal, than old uns like Nicky Hunt.

MIDFIELD

MR - Terry Hawkridge
    MR – Lewis Alessandra
    ML – TBC
    ML – TBC
    CM - Elliott Hewitt
    CM - Noor Husin
    CM - Liam Noble
    CM - Michael O'Connor

Youth: Alex Howes

Apart from replacing Jorge Grant (the pre-Christmas version) we barely need to strengthen here tbh. And if we had more goals up front we'd have been less reliant on him anyhow.

FORWARDS

CF – TBC
    CF - Jon Stead
    CF – TBC
    CF – TBC

Youth: Remaye Campbell and Sam Osborne

Like many fans, I really hope we spend most of the money on new forwards as clearly that’s where we really need it. Ideally three new ones that are all better than Stead. Pace and power needed. And younger legs.

COYP!

Helpful summary, well done Dave.

First impressions are that I would fill the third goalkeeping slot with a cheap youth teamer and give Ross Fitzsimons his chance as No.1, because he's at least par for this level and will no doubt develop more with first-team experience. Extra wages that could be spent on a high profile goalkeeper are probably better invested in the striking positions which will no doubt be the difference maker next season.

Also, without any disrespect to Pierce Bird, because I've not seen him play, I would say that unless he's the next Dean Yates then we need two more big, strong, head it, kick it centre-halves if we're going to have real depth in that critical position. Duffy isn't the worst player I've ever seen by a long chalk, and some games he plays really well, but for me he lacks physical presence in this league and is too prone to error, so I don't regard him as anything better than cover (for centre-half or right-back).

The goalkeeping position intrigues me. Do Fitzsimons and Pindroch move up a place and we look for a young third choice, or is Nolan looking for a new first choice keeper? I was a bit surprised Collin was shown the door, I marginally preferred him to Fitzsimons, and it appeared that Nolan thought the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The goalkeeping position intrigues me. Do Fitzsimons and Pindroch move up a place and we look for a young third choice, or is Nolan looking for a new first choice keeper? I was a bit surprised Collin was shown the door, I marginally preferred him to Fitzsimons, and it appeared that Nolan thought the same way.
    Collin didn't exactly get on with a subsection of the fans going by Twitter. Perhaps Collin told Nolan he'd prefer to look elsewhere? I would imagine a new No. 1 should be sought but because of Fitzsimmons, it's not a big rush or priority

I would still guess it's a financial call as much as anything. There certainly isn't a gulf in quality between Collin and Fitzsimons, whichever one you happen to rate the higher, and Ross will no doubt be considerably cheaper in terms of wage demands. So, if you can cope without Collin, it makes sense to divert those funds elsewhere. My only concern would be whether Pindroch is a good enough reserve, but judging by the new contract offer, Nolan obviously thinks he is.

TO be honest the wings worry me a little. Hawkridge and to a lesser extent, Allesandro, are weak links and neither are first teasers imo.

Fill the keeper slot with a young lad.
    Two new CBS as has been said. Hard, fast and composed. (Not Duffy!)
    Wingers. Massive weakness at the club.
    The obvious strikers.

I would love to say with the players retained or in contract that we have the backbones to build a good team around but I’m not convinced that’s true !

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    TO be honest the wings worry me a little. Hawkridge and to a lesser extent, Allesandro, are weak links and neither are first teasers imo.
    They might be first teasers, but maybe not first-teamers!

Thing is, both have looked very good on certain days and anonymous on others, but that's been a familiar refrain about many wingers throughout the ages, hence why they're so often seen as luxury players.

Certainly we need two more, to challenge and get the best out of Hawkridge and Alessandra if not to always play ahead of them.

I'd also add that if Nolan has any ideas about swapping to a "front three" like he did without success at home to Exeter and Crawley, then those new wide players need to be legitimate, proven goal scorers and we probably need a Bogle or Akinde in the middle. Too many managers at this level try to replicate the 4-3-3 formations they see in the Premier League, forgetting that the likes of Manchester City and United have some of the most complete forward players anywhere in the world, with all three forwards having power, pace, superb skill and finishing ability. All their forwards are legitimate and regular goal threats.

It shouldn't come as any surprise that if for Sane, Aguero and Sterling you read Hawkridge, Stead and Alessandra, none of whom are particularly regular goalscorers, you're not likely to score too often. That's why, at this level where you're lucky if a player can master one position let alone two or three, you're still probably better off with the old combo of two genuine wingers, a centre forward and a little poacher.
    Last edited by jackal2; 22-05-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Whatever happens I hope we just sign quality in the right positions for the budget we have.

Centre-back - Signing more than one is fine. But Duffy/ Brisley as a reserve will be a step-up. And there's no point keeping Bird on if he can't get near the squad.

Wingers - Yes. This is the also one position we seem to do consistently well with on loan (Grant, Grealish, McGregor etc). I'd be okay starting next season with Allesandra and Hawkridge in direct competition for one position on RM. I know a lot of fans wouldn't agree, but they got double figures of goals between them last season and would have had more assists with better strikers.

Strikers - Always the most expensive players. Always the hardest to get. We've been linked with so many (Hirst, Bogle, Rose, Toney etc). But we really do need to get at least two new ones in this summer. Stead should be our benchwarmer, not our main man.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Whatever happens I hope we just sign quality in the right positions for the budget we have.

Centre-back - Signing more than one is fine. But Duffy/ Brisley as a reserve will be a step-up. And there's no point keeping Bird on if he can't get near the squad.

Wingers - Yes. This is the also one position we seem to do consistently well with on loan (Grant, Grealish, McGregor etc). I'd be okay starting next season with Allesandra and Hawkridge in direct competition for one position on RM. I know a lot of fans wouldn't agree, but they got double figures of goals between them last season and would have had more assists with better strikers.

Strikers - Always the most expensive players. Always the hardest to get. We've been linked with so many (Hirst, Bogle, Rose, Toney etc). But we really do need to get at least two new ones in this summer. Stead should be our benchwarmer, not our main man.
    I agree with most of that but fans brought up on Carter, Scanlon, Chiedozie, Dave Smith (if you say) and even Adrian Thorpe aren't going to be satisfied with Allesandra and Hawkridge, who barely reach the byline. We need an exciting winger, and Grant isn't it either.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast