+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts County Squad 2018-19

As I said on another thread, with the 11 full timers listed below going, I thought I'd try to arrange them into a 4-4-2. Then I asked myself the question, would I be enthused about this 11 taking the field on a Saturday afternoon. The answer is no I wouldn't, (with the possible exception of Shola on a good day). The decision to release this particular group is therefore justified imo.(And signing 11 of better quality should be the priority. Shouldnt really be that difficult)

Adam Collin
    Nicky Hunt Mike Edwards Rob Milsom Carl Dickinson
    Elliot Hodge Alan Smith Curtis Thompson Callum Saunders
    Shola Ameobi Jonathan Forte

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Evidently Duffy is like marmite. Some love him and some hate him.
    Personally, I find him OK. Like some have stated he is prone to the odd error. As are 99% of League 2 players. We can all point out players that played well in one or two games against Notts,but had we watched those same players over the course of a whole season, we would have seen errors, performances that were lacking. It’s why these players play in League 2. If these players were that good why would they be playing in League 2? The higher up players go the more consistent they are.
    Do we not need some form of continuity? We simply can not and should not overhaul the squad every year, we have seen where that has got us. Look at this time last season when the retained list was announced, many were bracing themselves for a relegation scrap. Look how that turned out. We were probably 2 or 3 players short in the end. And that was not in the back 5 in my opinion.
    We needed a firing Grant, which we got in the first half of the season.
    We needed a winger who could go past players and create havoc, something that has already been mentioned as an area of transfer focus.
    Obviously we needed a forward with pace, how oh how the season could have panned out had Mason Bennett not suffered that horrific injury.
    Agreed.....our defense has been the one area where we have been reasonably solid all season, so why try to fix something that ain't broken.

Collin leaving is no biggie, Fitz should be ready to step up...and it releases a chunk of wages.

Midfield is pretty much sorted, Hewey with Noble, Husin or O'Connor.......wingers are not exactly dynamite in Hawk and Aless so we need one more?

Our "problems" are up front ie we need 2 strikers to mix-n-match with Stead....good strikers cost a small fortune, even at this level.

If you watched the Luton game without Duffy it just showed how much he is actually relied on to organise the defence. Nolan was going absolutely mad most of the game trying to organise them from the touch line because Duffy wasn't there to do it, clearly it worked as we got a clean sheet but still...

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    If you watched the Luton game without Duffy it just showed how much he is actually relied on to organise the defence. Nolan was going absolutely mad most of the game trying to organise them from the touch line because Duffy wasn't there to do it, clearly it worked as we got a clean sheet but still...
    Brisley looked a bit lost v Luton without Duffy and Hall looked like a very good player next to him......agree with the comments about our skipper's histrionics sometimes but to me he's been the standout player this season and not seen many centre halves in this division with his composure on the ball!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The goalkeeping position intrigues me. Do Fitzsimons and Pindroch move up a place and we look for a young third choice, or is Nolan looking for a new first choice keeper? I was a bit surprised Collin was shown the door, I marginally preferred him to Fitzsimons, and it appeared that Nolan thought the same way.
    I see a new keeper coming in to be No.1 during the summer.
    Nolan obviously preferred Collin and stats wise he was better than Fitz.
    Collin mentioned on Facebook that he decision was taken out of the managements hands. Not sure if that was due to wages or what.

Some on here see Dan Jones as being a bit suspect when it comes to the defensive side of his game, so how about moving him forward as a winger and bringing in another fullback. We know Dan can cross a ball and he would provide good cover down that side if the fullback went on an overlap. Attacks down that side from the opposition would be limited if they had to get past two players who knew how to defend. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by ReadWarbler View Post
    Some on here see Dan Jones as being a bit suspect when it comes to the defensive side of his game, so how about moving him forward as a winger and bringing in another fullback. We know Dan can cross a ball and he would provide good cover down that side if the fullback went on an overlap. Attacks down that side from the opposition would be limited if they had to get past two players who knew how to defend. Just a thought
    I've had exactly the same thought. He's a shoe in as a winger for me and has the steel when required to defend and protect his full back, not to mention the pace to get back quickly too.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadWarbler View Post
    Jones' assist for the goal at Coventry was pure class. It didn't come from nowhere.

Jones as a winger is a conundrum. He is undoubtedly quick and has a good engine, but I would doubt his effectiveness with a full back up his arse or whether he has a trick or 2 to go by a man. The times he does go past players is normally his momentum against a full backs standing start.
    I wouldn’t be against giving it a go but surely better options? Or maybe even as a wing back?

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Jones' assist for the goal at Coventry was pure class. It didn't come from nowhere.
    Agreed. It was created by pace, determination, bottle and not a little skill to look up and pick out the ball to keep Forte onside and lay it on for him to finish.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast