+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Collin

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Illustrates the point I was making yesters. WHY, did Nolo put so much faith in him then? ie, pick him on a regla basis when IMHAHO, Fitz was a better keeper? Only to then release Collins at the end of the season, weird.
    I guess Nolan had made his bed and was lying in it. Maybe he was punishing Fitz for his misdemeanor earlier in the season but sees the potential in him moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Illustrates the point I was making yesters. WHY, did Nolo put so much faith in him then? ie, pick him on a regla basis when IMHAHO, Fitz was a better keeper? Only to then release Collins at the end of the season, weird.
    I think we will see a new no 1 come in over the summer, but we have the option that if we can't get one for the right money, we at least have Fitz waiting who can do a job for us

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I think we will see a new no 1 come in over the summer, but we have the option that if we can't get one for the right money, we at least have Fitz waiting who can do a job for us
    I think Fitz is good enough at this level, just keep two keepers and plough the extra wage in to a striker?

We may well be looking at an entirely new keeper and so have offered our cheaper ones new deals, maybe even on less favourable terms. This applies to all the apparently retained players who are current out of contract. We don't know how much they have been offered and sometimes that can be a wage cut. Only Tootle has accepted so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    I think Fitz is good enough at this level, just keep two keepers and plough the extra wage in to a striker?
    He is, but if someone came along like the Accrington goalie (I realise he's gone elsewhere in league 1 but of that quality) you wouldn't turn them down

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    I could never understand why he was taking free kicks near the halfway line either. It was only a matter of time before the ball came straight back into an empty goal. The guy made me nervous every time he went near the ball!
    And yet he did it all season long multiple times a game and it came back to bite us how many times? Zero. But yet again, it's another thing that he has been told to do and is part of our game plan, why fault him for it?

Do people not remember how little Fitz came off his line when he played? He looked like bambi in the middle of the road whenever a cross came into his box, Collin was perfectly adept at coming off his line to punch or catch the ball and there is nothing wrong with punching the ball instead of catching it, I'm guessing in "your day" Keepers were made of tougher stuff and plucked balls out of the air with their bare hands all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    And yet he did it all season long multiple times a game and it came back to bite us how many times? Zero. But yet again, it's another thing that he has been told to do and is part of our game plan, why fault him for it?

Do people not remember how little Fitz came off his line when he played? He looked like bambi in the middle of the road whenever a cross came into his box, Collin was perfectly adept at coming off his line to punch or catch the ball and there is nothing wrong with punching the ball instead of catching it, I'm guessing in "your day" Keepers were made of tougher stuff and plucked balls out of the air with their bare hands all the time...
    You're right, when Collin came for a ball, he was great at it, but that is the problem, when. He didn't always do it. Case in point, had he been more commanding in playoffs, their first goal never happens but because he's rooted to the line, it becomes an issue.

Again, he's not a bad keeper, but we probably could do with having better

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post

After watching Collin's deliberately slow release of the ball several times I started looking for Nolly's reaction to it and saw his gestures of gently patting downwards. This is an obvious signal to take your time, so what do you expect Collin to do - take notice of his manager or the fans bellowing at him to get rid more quicklyer? The free-kicks near the half-way line too, this has just GOT to be an instruction from Nolan, it puts more Notts players in the opposition half and while the ball is in the air Collin runs back to his goal. I'm not saying it's led to more goals for us but that's not Collin's fault and on t'other hand it hasn't led to the ball being booted straight back into our goal either.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    After watching Collin's deliberately slow release of the ball several times I started looking for Nolly's reaction to it and saw his gestures of gently patting downwards. This is an obvious signal to take your time, so what do you expect Collin to do - take notice of his manager or the fans bellowing at him to get rid more quicklyer? The free-kicks near the half-way line too, this has just GOT to be an instruction from Nolan, it puts more Notts players in the opposition half and while the ball is in the air Collin runs back to his goal. I'm not saying it's led to more goals for us but that's not Collin's fault and on t'other hand it hasn't led to the ball being booted straight back into our goal either.
    On the note of half way line kicks, Fitzsimmons also took them from there so it's not Collin at all, it's obviously a Nolan instruction

Adam Collin was OK for this level, but that's all. When he got injured, Ross Fitzsimons, after a few initial nerves, settled in and looked a sharper goalkeeper in my opinion, albeit not with the same height advantage.

I don't know what LaughingMagpie is laughing about above, because it's an entirely sensible argument by DelroyFacey22 that Nolan has decided there's little difference in quality between Collin and Fitzsimons, and to go forward with the younger, cheaper option, thus freeing up some wage budget to strengthen other parts of the team.

Put it this way, if the decision was based purely on Nolan not trusting Collin's ability, then why has the manager waxed lyrical about him for months? The general adage is if you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing, but Nolan was telling us all how impressed he was by Collin's presence and his ability to control the tempo of the game.

What we don't know is whether another much better 'keeper has been lined up to fill the space left by Collin, but in my opinion the money would be better used in the striking department, where we might need to offer a few extra pounds to land our primary targets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast