+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Collin

Quote Originally Posted by starbs1862 View Post
    Releasing Collins is a correct decision. He is nothing more than a journeyman with the athleticism of a house brick. Every successful Notts side I've watched has had a quality stopper at the back. This man just wasn't good enough. Wish him well and carry on.
    100%

OK keeper at best, high earner and a total d1ck allegedly! Good riddance!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Adam Collin was OK for this level, but that's all. When he got injured, Ross Fitzsimons, after a few initial nerves, settled in and looked a sharper goalkeeper in my opinion, albeit not with the same height advantage.

I don't know what LaughingMagpie is laughing about above, because it's an entirely sensible argument by DelroyFacey22 that Nolan has decided there's little difference in quality between Collin and Fitzsimons, and to go forward with the younger, cheaper option, thus freeing up some wage budget to strengthen other parts of the team.

Put it this way, if the decision was based purely on Nolan not trusting Collin's ability, then why has the manager waxed lyrical about him for months? The general adage is if you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing, but Nolan was telling us all how impressed he was by Collin's presence and his ability to control the tempo of the game.

What we don't know is whether another much better 'keeper has been lined up to fill the space left by Collin, but in my opinion the money would be better used in the striking department, where we might need to offer a few extra pounds to land our primary targets.
    Totally agree,
    regarding KN's intructions on GK's kicking, I'd like to think that the keeper would be flexible, professional enough to read the game so if we're under pressure you take your time, take a bit of pressure off.

On the other hand, if the keeper sees a chance for a quick release to our advantage, he has to take it, it's what the top keepers do? A keepers distribution can be a massive attacking asset if utilised well, I think we've all seen examples of keepers throwing the ball out overarm, accurately and putting a player away.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    On the note of half way line kicks, Fitzsimmons also took them from there so it's not Collin at all, it's obviously a Nolan instruction
    Probably so but I don't remember pumping the ball forward being a successful tactic. Hopefully Nolan will change this next season and mix it up a bit. We became a bit predictable towards the end of the season and I think other teams found us out.

Quote Originally Posted by iamITK View Post
    100%

OK keeper at best, high earner and a total d1ck allegedly! Good riddance!
    I'm surprised if that's true about his attitude or personality, although I've never met him so I've no idea. Just didn't strike me as the sort who got above himself or caused trouble. In fact, I thought he looked a bit lacking in confidence for someone of his size. The best goalkeepers tend to have big personalities and I didn't really see that from him.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    Probably so but I don't remember pumping the ball forward being a successful tactic. Hopefully Nolan will change this next season and mix it up a bit. We became a bit predictable towards the end of the season and I think other teams found us out.
    Pumping the ball forward only works if, you have an aerialy dominant striker who wins the ball regularly, which we haven't and if players get up quickly to support and pick up knock downs, which they don't.

Currently we've seen players who are expected to win a high, dropping ball, control it and take defenders on alone, not sure there are many in the World that could do that job?

Can't remember a fantastic game from Collin but plenty of goals I think he should have done better with. Fitzsimmons is a better shot stopper for me even if he isn't as strong in the air. Glad we released Collin along with all the other released, for once next season we might have a squad competing hard for places, about time we cut all this deadwood and please can we not sign anymore "class of whatever year" to never see them again and they get released, let's use money wisely like the other clubs seem to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Pumping the ball forward only works if, you have an aerialy dominant striker who wins the ball regularly, which we haven't and if players get up quickly to support and pick up knock downs, which they don't.

Currently we've seen players who are expected to win a high, dropping ball, control it and take defenders on alone, not sure there are many in the World that could do that job?
    I don't think that's the way it works at this level. The ball comes back (whoever heads it) and our dominant midfield pick it up and start an attack from mid-way in their own half. It's more exciting than giving the ball to one of the midfielders in the first place as anything can happen, but at least those midfielders are already back and ready to help the defence. At least I think that's what opposing managers have worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    After watching Collin's deliberately slow release of the ball several times I started looking for Nolly's reaction to it and saw his gestures of gently patting downwards. This is an obvious signal to take your time, so what do you expect Collin to do - take notice of his manager or the fans bellowing at him to get rid more quicklyer?
    Collin was obviously playing to instruction, confirmed by Nolan's reactions. Several times when the Kop were getting on Collin's back for holding on to the ball Nolan would give him a 'thumbs up' gesture as if to say "ignore them, do as we've told you". I think goalkeeper was one of our strong positions last season, a decent first choice and good back up. I marginally preferred Collin, mainly because Fitzsimons looked hesitant on crosses, but Fitz probably did enough before his brainfart against Crawley to deserve a chance to become number one.

Thanks to him for his services - a competent shot stopper but I agree it's better to move on.
    My main issue was that he didn't have a presence that instilled a lot of confidence, either in the defenders in front of him or in us, the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    It's worked a few times and has caused our opposition danger many many times, It's a chance to get Brisley into the box along with your strikers and see if we can then win the second ball

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast