+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Collin

Adam Collin

Releasing Collins is a correct decision. He is nothing more than a journeyman with the athleticism of a house brick. Every successful Notts side I've watched has had a quality stopper at the back. This man just wasn't good enough. Wish him well and carry on.

Granted, he was not up there with the likes of Cherry, Ward and Schmeichel but he wasn't the awful keeper everyone made him out to be. He was better than Pilkington and slightly better than the likes of Burch and Nelson.

What we need is a commanding keeper, someone in the Ilk of Russell Hoult. When the ball comes into the area, he just picks it out of the air removing the threat. We need a decent shot stopper who commands his area, but then every other team also wants that

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Granted, he was not up there with the likes of Cherry, Ward and Schmeichel but he wasn't the awful keeper everyone made him out to be. He was better than Pilkington and slightly better than the likes of Burch and Nelson.

What we need is a commanding keeper, someone in the Ilk of Russell Hoult. When the ball comes into the area, he just picks it out of the air removing the threat. We need a decent shot stopper who commands his area, but then every other team also wants that
    Any reason for missing out Roy Carroll of goalkeepers up there for Notts ( I'm guessing in your life time) ...mind he was very good at wasting a wee bit of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Any reason for missing out Roy Carroll of goalkeepers up there for Notts ( I'm guessing in your life time) ...mind he was very good at wasting a wee bit of time...
    Early on in his first season he was awesome, he was the reason we were so high up in League 1 in my opinion but as his form tailed off, so did the team. Towards the end, I'd say Carroll and Collin would be interchangeable

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post

Very harsh comparing him to Rob Burch, the man we decided to sign after putting 6 past him the season previous, he was dogsh*t and the only thing Stuart Nelson was good at was listening to Carl Muggleton and saving penalties based on his advice.

You also missed out Bartosz Bialkowski who has just won his 3rd player of the year award in a row at Ipswich and is also in the championship team of the year.

I can only think Collin was released because of his wage demands or he's decided to move on himself, after all, Nolan believes he would have been in the League 2 team of the year if not for his injury and him and Crossley have both spoken very highly of him all season despite some of the nonsense our fans have moaned about him doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Very harsh comparing him to Rob Burch, the man we decided to sign after putting 6 past him the season previous, he was dogsh*t and the only thing Stuart Nelson was good at was listening to Carl Muggleton and saving penalties based on his advice.

You also missed out Bartosz Bialkowski who has just won his 3rd player of the year award in a row at Ipswich and is also in the championship team of the year.

I can only think Collin was released because of his wage demands or he's decided to move on himself, after all, Nolan believes he would have been in the League 2 team of the year if not for his injury and him and Crossley have both spoken very highly of him all season despite some of the nonsense our fans have moaned about him doing.
    I wouldn't say Bart was a legend in the likes of Cherry and Ward (Schmeichel to an extent) was. He was a very good and remains a very good goalie though.

Burch wasn't necessarily a bad keeper, bit anyone coming after Schmeichel was going to be a down grade let's face it? Burch and Nelson were average league 1/2 keepers, hence why I compared against them as Collin is an average keeper for this level. Not terrible but there are better keepers in this league

I have often defended Collin due to his spectacular **** stopping. However, not too disappointed to see him go, particularly after several cumbersome, statuesque displays. He does not command his area which causes problems and uncertainty amongst other defenders. There are worse keepers in our division but there are plenty better as well.

If he was on a high wage then it makes sense to replace him, we have some decent cover already too.

On a more general nite: The only significant name on the retained list is O'Connor - a shining beacon in fog of mediocrity. Some if the already contracted players are scary. We have a number of "glorified pub players" and we appear to be stuck with them.

We need 6 or 7 decent L2 quality players to mount any sort of serious challenge for promotion. Having to suffer watching some of this assorted rabble trying to play football has been an unedifying exoerience.

We also need to find players who can play in front of a big crowd and/or to cameras, players with the application & disposition to handle pressure, unlike most of the current crop.

I don't really think Nelson gets the credit he should. I thought he was pretty good for us, a very good shot stopper and the best record of any keeper we have for some time when it comes to penalties. At no time did i ever think Collin would save a penalty but with Nelson I always felt mildly confident he might.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post

I can only think Collin was released because of his wage demands.
    That's a good one

Maybe he was released because Nolan could see what most of us could see. He didn't command the area, he was often caught flat footed on the line and his kicking was awful. On the odd occasion he did come off his line he would punch it feebly back to the opposition instead of claiming it with both hands.

I could never understand why he was taking free kicks near the halfway line either. It was only a matter of time before the ball came straight back into an empty goal. The guy made me nervous every time he went near the ball!

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    That's a good one

Maybe he was released because Nolan could see what most of us could see. He didn't command the area, he was often caught flat footed on the line and his kicking was awful. On the odd occasion he did come off his line he would punch it feebly back to the opposition instead of claiming it with both hands.

I could never understand why he was taking free kicks near the halfway line either. It was only a matter of time before the ball came straight back into an empty goal. The guy made me nervous every time he went near the ball!
    Illustrates the point I was making yesters. WHY, did Nolo put so much faith in him then? ie, pick him on a regla basis when IMHAHO, Fitz was a better keeper? Only to then release Collins at the end of the season, weird.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast