+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Luck, Bad Luck & the Percentages Game

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Sorry but we came up short because we were just not good enough.
    The red card's you've said went in our favour are a matter of opinion, I think one of them was rescinded on appeal or was that in a more recent game than the examples you listed? Either way, taking into account the 2 games in the playoffs, because that's what they are in effect, 2 games, on their own, to get to Wembley. You can't possibly look at them and not think a 3 goal advantage given to the team that won by 3 goals is down to us not being good enough.

I mean you could say that maybe if we'd scored 4 goals before they were awarded the penalty at the ricoh but my point is you shouldn't have to be better than bad officials or have to outscore there bad decisions, when you do, it's not a level playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Nice guys finish last, by and large

You mean like Pele, Cruyff, the Bobbys Robson, Moore and Charlton.
    Oh yeah, I get your drift...
    Only 40% of those were successful in management. How many nice guys become top managers? Just look at England's World Cup winning team there is only Jack Charlton that did anything and he wouldn't be described as a nice guy, popular but not particularly nice.
    Last edited by i961pie; 23-05-2018 at 04:18 PM.

How like this board. So I answer Jackal 2's challenge about nice guys accurately and then I have two constraints put on me: (i) they must be contemporary; (2) Managers only.
    Okay then = Klopp, Wenger and down to our level, Coleman.

How like this board. So I answer Jackal 2's challenge about nice guys accurately and then I have two constraints put on me: (i) they must be contemporary; (2) Managers only.
    You don't like it, you know what you can do as I've been told......

Nothing to do with luck !
    The first half of the season saw us right in amongst the promotion contenders with some decent form, January came with the opportunity to strengthen, the opportunity for the chairman to invest and improve the team and it was needed ! he didn’t do that, Notts weaken and dropped away !
    Mr Hardy walked the walk but didn’t talk the talk !

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    He never stopped twittering the tweets though. #clapclap #faith #trust

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    Nothing to do with luck !
    The first half of the season saw us right in amongst the promotion contenders with some decent form, January came with the opportunity to strengthen, the opportunity for the chairman to invest and improve the team and it was needed ! he didn’t do that, Notts weaken and dropped away !
    Really? My guess is that he and KN decided that they had enough in the locker with Bennett added up front and chose to save the cash. Unfortunately we'll never know what might have been regarding Bennett.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Really? My guess is that he and KN decided that they had enough in the locker with Bennett added up front and chose to save the cash. Unfortunately we'll never know what might have been regarding Bennett.
    I think our main targets decided to go elsewhere and Bennett was the best option left. I remember Hardy tweeting something along the lines of "We are signing a player who will walk straight into the first team". I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to Mason Bennett. Not adding a bit of quality in the January transfer could have cost us big time, I just hope Hardy & Co learn from their mistake.

Constraints? Not from me! I'm all for free speech, you can put forward any opinion you like as far as I'm concerned and I respect it.

My point, or opinion, is simply that in the modern game in particular, managers who challenge officials and mark themselves out as awkward so-and-so's sometimes seem to gain some benefits for their team. For instance, Sir Alex Ferguson made an exaggerated point of monitoring how much time officials added on at the end of games, and the phrase "Fergie Time" reflected a realisation that this seemed to be having some tangible effect on the decisions of at least some officials.

I should say by the way that I actually think Sir Alex is a nice guy in himself and I was very sad to hear of his recent illness, but within the competitive football environment he undoubtedly adopted a persona designed to exert a certain amount of intimidation, and encouraged his players to do the same. His record shows that his approach was extremely successful!
    Last edited by jackal2; 23-05-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    The red card's you've said went in our favour are a matter of opinion, I think one of them was rescinded on appeal or was that in a more recent game than the examples you listed? Either way, taking into account the 2 games in the playoffs, because that's what they are in effect, 2 games, on their own, to get to Wembley. You can't possibly look at them and not think a 3 goal advantage given to the team that won by 3 goals is down to us not being good enough.

I mean you could say that maybe if we'd scored 4 goals before they were awarded the penalty at the ricoh but my point is you shouldn't have to be better than bad officials or have to outscore there bad decisions, when you do, it's not a level playing field.
    Hi Delroy - what i'm trying to say is that if people think we were cheated out of the game by bad refereeing, they should consider whether we would have even got into the playoffs without dreadful refereeing decisions going in our favour.

I cited the first half sendings off against Chesterfield, Lincoln and Newport as examples but there were plenty of other dodgy decisions that went in our favour over the season as a whole.

For me you can not separate the play offs from the rest of the season. Sure we're all sick about how we lost but would we have even been in the playoffs, without the incorrect decisions that went in our favour throughout the 46 game season.

For me the answer is no. We were not good enough. Coventry have got the right balance in their squad: youth, experience, fitness, pace, skill and the ability to get stuck in when it is needed. I suggest that we are short on at least three of the qualities I have listed.

P.S. watch Exeter beat Coventry in the final...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast