+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Team For Sunday

What I think our best team will be and what I think Warney will go with are two completely different stories

I think the team will be the same minus Ihiekwe for Ajayi.

I'd like to see a 4-4-2 though, drop Palmer for Ball and I'd probably also drop Mattock for Purrington- not that I think Mattock had a poor performance but he is better going forward whereas Purrington is an all round solid defender, and considering how shaky we were at the back against Scunny, I think we need some more reinforcement at the back

I'd like to see Taylor feature somewhere too, he'd be a brilliant impact sub in the 70th min when everyone is tiring out from the heat and he comes on and runs circles around everyone. Where he gets his energy and speed from I have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Donmiller View Post
    What I think our best team will be and what I think Warney will go with are two completely different stories

I think the team will be the same minus Ihiekwe for Ajayi.

I'd like to see a 4-4-2 though, drop Palmer for Ball and I'd probably also drop Mattock for Purrington- not that I think Mattock had a poor performance but he is better going forward whereas Purrington is an all round solid defender, and considering how shaky we were at the back against Scunny, I think we need some more reinforcement at the back

I'd like to see Taylor feature somewhere too, he'd be a brilliant impact sub in the 70th min when everyone is tiring out from the heat and he comes on and runs circles around everyone. Where he gets his energy and speed from I have no idea
    I think you're right Don about Purrington and Mattock but mattock is Newell seems to have more support. I would love Ball to play in the place of Palmer.

Can't remember when we had so many positive options.

I suspect that Warney will stick to 4-5-1. If so the midfielders/wingers need to link up with Smith more effectively, and if he gets some decent crosses he can head them in. I hope that we have been practising taking free kicks and corners during the week- very wasteful in last few games, and Scunny almost cashed in on us giving them possession back so easily. Also hoping that Newell is fit - took him a while to get going in previous game.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I think you're right Don about Purrington and Mattock but mattock is Newell seems to have more support. I would love Ball to play in the place of Palmer.

Can't remember when we had so many positive options.
    True, that's got to be a big advantage for us too. We can swap any one of our starting 11 with any player off the bench and our team will be just as strong. I can't remember that ever being the case before us having such a strong bench. Takes the pressure off the team a bit too if someone is having an off day they can be subbed off with a player who is just as good in most cases. The only positions I don't think we have as strong a "back-up" player is GK and RB

Personally I'd go 4-4-2 ,I was really impressed with Shrewsbury in both their games against Charlton, they were very compact and IMO controlled both those games even though they only won 1-0 in both games.

My team would be Rodak, Emmanuelle, Ajayi, Wood, Mattock , Ford, Towell, Vaulks, Newell, Smith, Ball.

I'd play Forde, simple because I think he works harder defensively and crosses the ball better, obviously not as quick as Taylor or Williams, but for me keeps us more solid down that right flank.

Not sure who he will pick - nowt unusual there then ! Whatever the team is hes got to play two up front - Shrews are a good solid defensive unit and if we don't press them up the park it will be a constant stream of one way traffic.Ball &Smith up front ,perm any 4 from the MField and I would have usual back 4 except Ikky would be replaced by Semi.But who knows what Warne will do - he's probably staring at the tealeaves right now.

Once again Ronners we're thinking along the same lines.

Ball must play as support to Smith. The latter did much better in the second Scunny game but needs help in the wide open spaces of Wembley. Forde although not my favourite player should replace the not-as-fast-as-he-thinks-he-is Williams. This would allow Josh to make more overlaps and speed into the Shrews box. On the other side of the pitch I'd play Purrington instead of Mattock. Whalley is their most dangerous all round player and it's imperative he's snuffed out asap.

Towell gets a place but he needs to up his game. He's been quite sloppy recently as indeed have the team in general. Time after time we're giving the ball away with flicks to nobody in the hope we'll get lucky. We have to earn our luck by controlling the ball and utilizing the space Scunny were kind enough to give us, especially in the second leg.

Warne put his faith in Iekwe and was badly let down. The thought of Wood going off and leaving Ike and Semi alone together is not one to go to bed on. The Shrews have a well martialled defence and finished 9 points clear of us but with needless errors eradicated we're their equals on the day. Having said that, if it goes to pens we're in for a sad and grumpy journey home.

I would love to see us go 4-4-2 and attack but Id be afraid of the break as its been our undoing so often.

So expect 4-5-1 with Smith on his todd.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    I would love to see us go 4-4-2 and attack but Id be afraid of the break as its been our undoing so often.

So expect 4-5-1 with Smith on his todd.
    Think it's probably go with this. I think that the folk who are calling for Ball are missing the fact that we quickly get people forward to support Smith from midfield and that we actually do seem to score a few goals that way across the team. Also, the value of Williams, similar to Taylor, is that their mobility and ability to zig zag all over the place is very hard for defenders to contain and does generally keep them very occupied. Forde and Newell are both great but I think can be more easily contained unless they get one of their inspired moments. I think we're best starting with getting up them and trying to wear them down on the flanks, play the ball through Smith and collectively get forrud around him.

Wouldn't blame Warne for playing the same formation. Also, no blame on him for playing Ihiekwe in the 2 games, he was great in the few games up the that point, then just melted down. Can't do so again though, he clearly has issues with pressure!

Come on lads!!

Problem with our midfield is the lack of someone who can actually put a tackle in - forget ford and Williams and Newell is a ***** .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast