+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formation for next year?

Formation for next year?

Eh would like to see a 4-4-2 being used.
    Still need twa centre halves, left sided midfielder and a possible target man to change things round. Also a goalie and Rogers could be a good loan signing.

Also need to give the team a good run together and no cheenging every game

Poss formation

New Goalie/Deniz

Wardrop NCH NCH Booth

Aird Fyvie(c) Stanton Newman

Curran Clark

It's more than likely going to be 4231. Ultimately it doesn't really matter, it's all about the quality of the players and the team created with them.

Shabba's preferred formation before he came to us was 4141. Who knows what he'll go with this season now he's building his own team.

Not disagreeing with Terry for the sake of it, tempting though it is. If we had played 442 under previous managers we may not have been relegated in the first place and we might be back up by now. woulda coulda I know.
    4231 especially at home was showing far too much respect to the opposition.
    One up front at our skill level was no good.
    442 is far harder for oppostion teams to break down. Also we did have players that could have played 442.
    The players coming could easily play it and we should play it imo
    But as you say, likely we won't although I'm not giving up hope on some radical stuff from CL 😎

Folk on here are obsessed with formations. Tactics and style of play are far more important. Spain played some of the best football I've ever seen playing with nae strikers. Man Utd have played 442 in some games this season and been f ucking misery to watch.

I don't care what formation we play but I do expect us to have some semblance of a tactical plan to hurt the opposition and control the game. That's been sadly lacking for 3 seasons now.

Maybe I'm not so fussy but in this league I just want us to win. I really don't care how attractive we are on the eye, that's not what it's about at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    Folk on here are obsessed with formations. Tactics and style of play are far more important. Spain played some of the best football I've ever seen playing with nae strikers. Man Utd have played 442 in some games this season and been f ucking misery to watch.

I don't care what formation we play but I do expect us to have some semblance of a tactical plan to hurt the opposition and control the game. That's been sadly lacking for 3 seasons now.
    Obsessed no. But it can make a difference. Spain and Man U are not good comparisons when it comes to our level. Top players can play well or badly in any formation.
    442 is far easier for lower level players to understand exactly what their roles are. Its not very fashionable but its very effective. The two banks of four move forward together then back together and it gives a much more solid platform. It also gives you width. And it gives you 2 strikers to form a partnership and feed off of each other. Also, in the 4231 sometimes the 3 think they don't have to defend!

All of that is your opinion of the formations. We don't actually know what the manager says to the players or how educated in all this they are.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    All of that is your opinion of the formations. We don't actually know what the manager says to the players or how educated in all this they are.
    Yeah it's just an opinion Terry! Wish we did know eh 😅

i do think people get too caught up with formations nowadays (dunno if its a sky thing) i couldnt care if we were playing 1,2 or 10 up top aslong as we won games and challenging in games.

we all have differing opinions of how to play, who to play and everything else. thats what makes football such a great game to watch/play. Aslong as united are putting in the effort and showing they give a damn while also showing some sort of quality to prove they deserve to be getting paid to play football for a living.

dont know if its the summer break optimism but i reckon CL going to get it right this time around. he'll have his own players in with less of the disruptive influences being around the squad. we shall see!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)