+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Ireland about to repeal the 8th?

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I feel this referendum is an inter-generational battle which should favour the 'Yes' for change vote but - as with the EU vote - its possible many of the under 30's can't be arsed whereas the over 50's will loyally support the church.
    On this occasion I firmly believe the momentum for the yes vote is firmly with the younger generations but I agree it will be very close.

The Catholic Church's original opposition to abortion had more than a little to do with the fact that abortion if widely practised would act as a brake on numbers in the flock.
    The Church's authority has diminished considerably in the eyes of Ireland's younger generations with its abuse of young victims by men of the cloth and its cruelty towards unmarried mothers. The film 'Calvary' - brilliant and disturbing - paints a bleak picture of how rural communities see the influence of Rome these days.
    I feel this referendum is an inter-generational battle which should favour the 'Yes' for change vote but - as with the EU vote - its possible many of the under 30's can't be arsed whereas the over 50's will loyally support the church.
    I note that Rees-Mogg disagrees with abortion even when the woman has been violently raped because (he says) the unborn child has rights. In his view, it becomes a living person at the moment of conception. I beg to differ.
    Sid predicts Yes by 54% to 46%.
    What the fcuk do you know about how the younger generation feel in Ireland sid? When where you last there? You just have a anti Catholicism agenda . My wife is first generation Irish , a bit further back for me .We are both Catholics and believe women have the right to choose . What we don't like is ignorant fckers like you constant attacks on our faith.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    What the fcuk do you know about how the younger generation feel in Ireland sid? When where you last there? You just have a anti Catholicism agenda . My wife is first generation Irish , a bit further back for me .We are both Catholics and believe women have the right to choose . What we don't like is ignorant fckers like you constant attacks on our faith.
    I see you've really taken Cher's recent comments about abuse on board. You're free to disagree with me but there's no need for the foul language, Mr Angry. Nor did I attack your faith. I gave a reasoned comment about the perceived current state of the church in Ireland

Just to remind everyone of the forum rules. . .

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Just to remind everyone of the forum rules. . .
    As someone who's had a few of my fetuses aborted, I couldn't recommend it more highly!

When you're ready to have a child, by all means pop 'em out as you like.

Until then abortion is a safe and effective means of ensuring your spunk don't put you in the funk.

I love how some people who think they know about a faith, but actually know naff all, yet argue points anyways. Condoms on one post? When I was a lad, contraception was a no no, so having condoms in pubs and on Tesco shelves in a country as staunch in its beliefs as Ireland would have been seen as an insult.
    A bit like setting up a butchers full of bacon, ham and pork sausages in Saudi Arabia.
    Is the Catholic Church a bit outdated, possibly? As a none practising catholic it certainly is not for me to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I love how some people who think they know about a faith, but actually know naff all, yet argue points anyways. Condoms on one post? When I was a lad, contraception was a no no, so having condoms in pubs and on Tesco shelves in a country as staunch in its beliefs as Ireland would have been seen as an insult.
    A bit like setting up a butchers full of bacon, ham and pork sausages in Saudi Arabia.
    Is the Catholic Church a bit outdated, possibly? As a none practising catholic it certainly is not for me to judge.
    The percentage of non Catholic residents eligible to vote on the referendum today might be much higher than we think (I don't know the figures) and the younger generation of Catholics I spoke to over this weekend were quite firmly behind the Yes vote for change. With this in mind you could say the catholic Church is quite possibly outdated and probably need to accept and move with the times, but then we can say that about most religions really.

One thing I did notice was how aggressive the poster campaigns for the No vote were, and quite horrific in some cases.

Interesting little article here regarding middle Ireland and the vote for Yes.

Apparently over 78% of Ireland consider themselves Catholic so a large percentage of them will have to go against the doctrine of their faith to get the yes vote through. Not beyond the realms of possibility though . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...m-older-voters

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie View Post
    Would you call this “A Major Constitutional Change” Sid?
    No, I wouldn't. If Ireland voted Yes, it would show that religion was no longer the guiding principle for important decisions and a recognition that Rome's power was less than say 50 years ago. If you're asking me whether it required a two-thirds majority for change then I would say that is Ireland's business. Brexit affects everything within the state. The right to abortion, whilst a matter of life and death, paradoxically doesn't.

No, I wouldn't. If Ireland voted Yes, it would show that religion was no longer the guiding principle for important decisions and a recognition that Rome's power was less than say 50 years ago. If you're asking me whether it required a two-thirds majority for change then I would say that is Ireland's business. Brexit affects everything within the state. The right to abortion, whilst a matter of life and death, paradoxically doesn't.
    I realise you're trying to fight your corner here Sid but come on, a yes vote would most definitely represent a constitutional change for Ireland, surely that's the whole point?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast