+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Ireland about to repeal the 8th?

OT: Ireland about to repeal the 8th?

Just spent the weekend in Dublin for the wife's Birthday and banners, posters and campaigners were quite obviously all over the place regarding the country's vote this week (Friday) to repeal the 8th Amendment on abortion which has been in place since the last referendum in the early 80's.

Ireland's laws on abortion are among the strictest worldwide and although still marginally a very Catholic country there appears to be a gathering momentum, especially from the young for the 'Yes' vote and to repeal the current laws which are designed to give a mother and her unborn child equal rights to life, essentially a near total ban on abortion.

As I was with my wife and 26 year old daughter it provoked quite the debate while we enjoyed some of Dublin's finest hostelries and incumbent live "diddly dee" music.

We are a Catholic family, although somewhat lapsed and it was interesting to hear the views of others around this debate which seemed to increase in intensity exponentially with the volume of Guinness consumed.

Until this weekend it really didn't hold any interest for me personally but having listened to some quite harrowing accounts of those directly impacted by this issue I will be watching with interest for the results.

For those who might be interested here is a link to an article in Time Magazine that does a great job of providing a brief overview of the referendum, it's history and how it might be one of the most significant days at the polls in Ireland's recent history.

http://time.com/5286910/ireland-abortion-laws-history/

It's worth keeping an open mind and realising that abortion is not just a female issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Just spent the weekend in Dublin for the wife's Birthday and banners, posters and campaigners were quite obviously all over the place regarding the country's vote this week (Friday) to repeal the 8th Amendment on abortion which has been in place since the last referendum in the early 80's.

Ireland's laws on abortion are among the strictest worldwide and although still marginally a very Catholic country there appears to be a gathering momentum, especially from the young for the 'Yes' vote and to repeal the current laws which are designed to give a mother and her unborn child equal rights to life, essentially a near total ban on abortion.

As I was with my wife and 26 year old daughter it provoked quite the debate while we enjoyed some of Dublin's finest hostelries and incumbent live "diddly dee" music.

We are a Catholic family, although somewhat lapsed and it was interesting to hear the views of others around this debate which seemed to increase in intensity exponentially with the volume of Guinness consumed.

Until this weekend it really didn't hold any interest for me personally but having listened to some quite harrowing accounts of those directly impacted by this issue I will be watching with interest for the results.

For those who might be interested here is a link to an article in Time Magazine that does a great job of providing a brief overview of the referendum, it's history and how it might be one of the most significant days at the polls in Ireland's recent history.

It's worth keeping an open mind and realising that abortion is not just a female issue.
    It certainly isn't, men have no rights at all under UK law if a woman wants a termination.

Here are two scenarios

1. A one night fumble leads to a pregnancy, the man doesn't want a child the woman does so she has the baby, making the man finacially resposnible for the next 18 years

2. Another one night fumble, this time the man is anti abortion, wants the baby and is prepared to take care of it. The woman wants a termination and the man has no right to stop her, 'it's my body' has become the catch phrase but it's more than that, it's a tiny life being ended on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    It certainly isn't, men have no rights at all under UK law if a woman wants a termination.

Here are two scenarios

1. A one night fumble leads to a pregnancy, the man doesn't want a child the woman does so she has the baby, making the man finacially resposnible for the next 18 years

2. Another one night fumble, this time the man is anti abortion, wants the baby and is prepared to take care of it. The woman wants a termination and the man has no right to stop her, 'it's my body' has become the catch phrase but it's more than that, it's a tiny life being ended on a whim.
    Exactly the arguments we were having, regardless of law it is completely an issue that affects men as well as women.

Exactly the arguments we were having, regardless of law it is completely an issue that affects men as well as women.
    What about the rape pregnancies that aren't allowed to be be aborted ?

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie

2. Also makes the women financially responsible for the next 18 years should she be forced to go full term.

.....edit......

If the child goes to college rather than university it's financially responsible for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbilly View Post
    What about the rape pregnancies that aren't allowed to be be aborted ?
    Yep, very much one of the key issues. This has resulted in suicide been used by victims as a form of abortion. See 'The X case' in the article posted.

Like i said, I had no real understanding or interest in this issue until this weekend, the complexity of it is somewhat of an eye opener for sure.

**** me, my parents still help me out financially and I am well past 18 or 20. Bank of mum and dad is an ongoing commitment for a lot of parents, I see it all the time in my industry. Only last week a house was brought for a 30 odd year old child by mum/dad as they couldn’t get a mortgage.
    As for the topic, being catholic and discussing this very subject at school, there was no winner, only losers, the life of the unborn child. Whether losing its life, being born in to a one parent family, being unwanted and subsequently treated as such.
    The real issue is preventing the scenario in the first place.

You would have seen them quoting England & the high number of abortions on banners then.What the feckers don't tell you is how many of those have come from over here to have a termination.Ireland is strict in that you can't have it done over here no matter what,Rape,incest,deformed.
    It's only the staunch do gooders who won't move on,even for these kind of cases but at the same time,it shouldn't be an easy option because you fancied a good rodgering & spilt the beans.For a "Catholic" Country you can get Condoms readily.Only 20 years ago you would only find them in vending machines in Pubs n Clubs & behind the counter in Chemists.Now in your face in Tesco with all the add ons.
    I think the majority that vote,you will find most won't support 100% behind what they vote for.
    I'm towards "yes" for the above mentioned cases but,should not be on a plate as a quick fix for a quickie.

There's rape babies who the mothers might not want and also not everyone can give a child a good childhood and know they'll become abusive towards the child. Surely you should be able to decide if you want a child or not as accidents happen so it's not always down to poor planning. If a child was to be born into an abusive or drug fueled environment then surely it's best they not have that life?

I don't know it's a tough one.

The Catholic Church's original opposition to abortion had more than a little to do with the fact that abortion if widely practised would act as a brake on numbers in the flock.
    The Church's authority has diminished considerably in the eyes of Ireland's younger generations with its abuse of young victims by men of the cloth and its cruelty towards unmarried mothers. The film 'Calvary' - brilliant and disturbing - paints a bleak picture of how rural communities see the influence of Rome these days.
    I feel this referendum is an inter-generational battle which should favour the 'Yes' for change vote but - as with the EU vote - its possible many of the under 30's can't be arsed whereas the over 50's will loyally support the church.
    I note that Rees-Mogg disagrees with abortion even when the woman has been violently raped because (he says) the unborn child has rights. In his view, it becomes a living person at the moment of conception. I beg to differ.
    Sid predicts Yes by 54% to 46%.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    The Catholic Church's original opposition to abortion had more than a little to do with the fact that abortion if widely practised would act as a brake on numbers in the flock.
    The Church's authority has diminished considerably in the eyes of Ireland's younger generations with its abuse of young victims by men of the cloth and its cruelty towards unmarried mothers. The film 'Calvary' - brilliant and disturbing - paints a bleak picture of how rural communities see the influence of Rome these days.
    I feel this referendum is an inter-generational battle which should favour the 'Yes' for change vote but - as with the EU vote - its possible many of the under 30's can't be arsed whereas the over 50's will loyally support the church.
    I note that Rees-Mogg disagrees with abortion even when the woman has been violently raped because (he says) the unborn child has rights. In his view, it becomes a living person at the moment of conception. I beg to differ.
    Sid predicts Yes by 54% to 46%.
    Would you call this “A Major Constitutional Change” Sid?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast