+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: OT: Ireland about to repeal the 8th?

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    In a miscarrige, the baby is usually, already dead so it wouldn't apply.

'Miscarriage, also known as spontaneous abortion and pregnancy loss, is the natural death of an embryo or fetus before it is able to survive independently'

There are so many variables, how old is the foetus, could it be safely delivered, doctors won't sit there and watch a woman die, the mother is always prioritised over the foetus / baby
    "The death of Savita Praveen Halappanavar in October 2012 once again brought global media attention to the country’s strict laws on abortion.

Halappanavar, 31, was admitted to a hospital in Galway while having a miscarriage. She repeatedly asked staff to terminate her pregnancy but they refused, telling her that Ireland was “a Catholic country.” She died at the hospital, from severe sepsis, five days after she had started miscarrying."

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    "The death of Savita Praveen Halappanavar in October 2012 once again brought global media attention to the country’s strict laws on abortion.

Halappanavar, 31, was admitted to a hospital in Galway while having a miscarriage. She repeatedly asked staff to terminate her pregnancy but they refused, telling her that Ireland was “a Catholic country.” She died at the hospital, from severe sepsis, five days after she had started miscarrying."
    This just seems a bit daft, the absence of common sense is a clear factor. I don't think that this one case alone, can be used to argue for the legalising of abortion?

The doctor was clearly more concerned with breaking the law and avoiding her own liability than she was for the patient.
    Last edited by Airborn Pie; 25-05-2018 at 01:13 PM.

This just seems a bit daft, the absence of common sense is a clear factor. I don't think that this one case alone, can be used to argue for the legalising of abortion?

The doctor was clearly more concerned with breaking the law and avoiding her own liability than she was for the patient.
    Yep, and those 'beliefs' at the core of the issue in hand.

it really is a difficult one, as a Catholic myself I was always brought up in a pro life environment but I can emphasise with those voting for change.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Yep, and those 'beliefs' at the core of the issue in hand.

it really is a difficult one, as a Catholic myself I was always brought up in a pro life environment but I can emphasise with those voting for change.
    I just read a bit more and must confess to not having heard of the poor woman before, seems to be a clear case of medical negligence to me. I had not realised that doctors would let a woman die rather than abort an already endangered foetus that was hardly likely to survive anyway? I'm not sure even a court in Ireland would have convicted the doctor had they ended the pregnancy under theses circumstances, I wonder what the medical ethics boards thinks?

This is all resonating with me right now as my wife is currently pregnant and we have another embryo in cold storage. We are both anti abortion and I hadn't wanted and still don't really want another child however, 'disposing' of the second embryo is not an option for us. I'd be ok with donating to a childless couple but my wife is anti that too so I'll have to go along with natures plan I guess.

Thank goodness we only had two embryos!

For the curious, I had a vasectomy years ago so we had to go the non traditional route, my wife is younger than me.
    Last edited by Airborn Pie; 25-05-2018 at 01:57 PM.

I just read a bit more and must confess to not having heard of the poor woman before, seems to be a clear case of medical negligence to me. I had not realised that doctors would let a woman die rather than abort an already endangered foetus that was hardly likely to survive anyway? I'm not sure even a court in Ireland would have convicted the doctor had they ended the pregnancy under theses circumstances, I wonder what the medical ethics boards thinks?

This is all resonating with me right now as my wife is currently pregnant and we have another embryo in cold storage. We are both anti abortion and I hadn't wanted and still don't really want another child however, 'disposing' of the second embryo is not an option for us. I'd be ok with donating to a childless couple but my wife is anti that too so I'll have to go along with natures plan I guess.

For the curious, I had a vasectomy years ago so we had to go the non traditional route, my wife is younger than me.
    I have no idea but I would imagine that's not an easy path for either of you, but what you are doing is due to your beliefs and you are exercising your right to make that choice, without the repeal it means millions of women in Ireland really don't have that luxury of choice. It's going to be interesting for sure!

I've been touched by your posts, Airborn. Willing to clear the air and start again if you're in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I've been touched by your posts, Airborn. Willing to clear the air and start again if you're in agreement.
    No argument from me there

Great to see the majority of posters of this thread discussing a complex and emotive subject with the necessary sensitivity and fair-mindedness.

Listening to the count on radio. While the young vote was hugely important, older people like myself, who voted against the 8th amendment in 1983 and did so again yesterday, helped to make it a landslide.
    Ireland has finally grown up.

I assume the morning after pill is already an option in Ireland as well? Quite honestly, unwanted pregnancies are so easily avoidable with options short of an abortion being avaialble before and immediately after the act, I can see no real excuse for unwanted pregnancies.

Pro abortion people rely on the 'choice' argument which is ok in principle but in this case it does invlove the ending of a life, ironic that the UK is so anti euthenasia.
    Last edited by Airborn Pie; 26-05-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast