+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OT: Ireland about to repeal the 8th?

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    One aspect that I find distastetful in the result, are the images of young women, leaping around and cheering like they're at some pop concert.

I understand that they are happy at the result, I just don't think that this kind if display is neccessary or appropriate?
    Thats the problem.It seems now to be the easy option if you get up the duff for what ever reason.There is plenty of means readily available now.In my previous post I said whatever way people vote,most would have reservations of what they voted for.
    It should have been,Rape,Incest,gene,health,legit reasons if you like,but it wasn't. The No vote would have been even smaller.
    What the Irish Government need to do now is charge big money if it's not for one of the above reasons.It might make people think twice or use something.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    On another score, good to see that the Irish gave the change a 2/3 majority, which means there can be no Brexit-like dispute.
    Had the Brexit vote been over 66.6% do you think it would make any difference to those who wish to stay in Europe?

And do you think that in this case (8th amendment) being almost 66.6% will mean there will be movement ever to change it from those that disagree?

Simple yes or no will suffice.

If 2/3rds means that folk won’t argue. Shouldn’t that be the target line?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Had the Brexit vote been over 66.6% do you think it would make any difference to those who wish to stay in Europe?

And do you think that in this case (8th amendment) being almost 66.6% will mean there will be movement ever to change it from those that disagree?

Simple yes or no will suffice.

If 2/3rds means that folk won’t argue. Shouldn’t that be the target line?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    Very amusing Sid.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Very amusing Sid.
    Only meeting your wishes, O Don.

I have no moral objection to abortion in such tragic cases as this, the Irish law was, completely inflexible and lacking in common sense. What I don't like is a 'slapper's law' so that every pregnancy can be terminated on a whim.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/44275372

I wonder what model they will follow now the old law has been repealed, will it be one of subtle change to reflect cases such as this one or will it be open season on all unwanted pregnancies?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456