+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: OT: Ireland about to repeal the 8th?

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I love how some people who think they know about a faith, but actually know naff all, yet argue points anyways. Condoms on one post? When I was a lad, contraception was a no no, so having condoms in pubs and on Tesco shelves in a country as staunch in its beliefs as Ireland would have been seen as an insult.
    A bit like setting up a butchers full of bacon, ham and pork sausages in Saudi Arabia.
    Is the Catholic Church a bit outdated, possibly? As a none practising catholic it certainly is not for me to judge.
    Totally agree with this, it has been a total circus here in the past few weeks, the Yes vote was confirmed last night so if you look at this way... it makes no difference, the person or persons now have the right to choose what to do which i personally think is the correct choice, there is so many variables connected with the 8th and now there's a choice to made by somebody and trust me with this horrible greedy government we have its amazing we have a choice in anything! Oh and as you said if you walk into any shop, pub, club or petrol station one of the first things you will see is condoms, as Jeremy Kyle says, if you don't want it to happen put something on the end of it

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    I assume the morning after pill is already an option in Ireland as well? Quite honestly, unwanted pregnancies are so easily avoidable with options short of an abortion being avaialble before and immediately after the act, I can see no real excuse for unwanted pregnancies.

Pro abortion people rely on the 'choice' argument which is ok in principle but in this case it does invlove the ending of a life, ironic that the UK is so anti euthenasia.
    If only life were so simple.

Really glad I started this thread. Wasn’t sure what the response was going to be on a predominately male oriented forum, but I’m heartened by the mainly sensible and thought provoking discussion points raised. Thank you.

BTW I would have voted yes.

An excellent result in my opinion. The subject of abortion is a highly emotive one, and I can see both sides. The pleasing thing from my perspective is that this is a defeat for the church. Whatever your views on abortion, the thought that a bunch of (mainly) elderly males, who have a history of vile ***ual abuse against children, could instruct females on what they should or shouldn't do based on centuries old fiction about fake Gods was very wrong. It's a step forwards into the modern world for me, the sooner the worship of these Gods is consigned to ancient history the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    An excellent result in my opinion. The subject of abortion is a highly emotive one, and I can see both sides. The pleasing thing from my perspective is that this is a defeat for the church. Whatever your views on abortion, the thought that a bunch of (mainly) elderly males, who have a history of vile ***ual abuse against children, could instruct females on what they should or shouldn't do based on centuries old fiction about fake Gods was very wrong. It's a step forwards into the modern world for me, the sooner the worship of these Gods is consigned to ancient history the better.
    Well, I have to tell you, Elite, that in the sense you are using it, it should be gods with a small g. If you're indicating that there is only one God (by your use of a capital) then you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

On another score, good to see that the Irish gave the change a 2/3 majority, which means there can be no Brexit-like dispute.
    Last edited by sidders; 26-05-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Well, I have to tell you, Elite, that in the sense you are using it, it should be gods with a small g. If you're indicating that there is only one God (by your use of a capital) then you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot.
    I was probably using it as a proper noun. I don't think Gods are proper, so maybe I should call them gods.

On another score, good to see that the Irish gave the change a 2/3 majority, which means there can be no Brexit-like dispute.
    I suspect your English is better than your maths sid. If the criteria for victory had been a two thirds majority, 66.4% wouldn't quite have been enough.

Of the 40 constituencies, only Donegal in the far north west voted against, and that was a narrow 52/48 split. The vote in the Dublin area was 75% in favour, so it was a lot more comprehensive than predicted.

Just another 0.3% and it would have qualified as a "Major Constitutional Change" hey Sid?

This ref is only for the Rep so abortion is still illegal in NI and the DUP won't allow changes easily

One aspect that I find distastetful in the result, are the images of young women, leaping around and cheering like they're at some pop concert.

I understand that they are happy at the result, I just don't think that this kind if display is neccessary or appropriate?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast