+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O/T the cricket thread

I'm saying nowt............ except ****ers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Jesus Wept. I've genuinely heard someone say today was Scotland's most significant victory since the Battle of Clitheroe (which I'm told was in 1138).
    Which basically means the English have nothing to worry about then.....

Jesus Wept. I've genuinely heard someone say today was Scotland's most significant victory since the Battle of Clitheroe (which I'm told was in 1138).
    Yes but this Scotland victory was a lot easier!

BTW - I remember once playing a Derbyshire Midweek 20 over thrash League game and we batted first and were convinced we would win after scoring 320 odd IIRC. We lost on the last ball of the last over....... Great game.

Aye but William Crassus kicked the Scotch arses a few months later at Northallerton - will Morgan's men get a similar chance? Ah, the good old days of the Anarchy.

i think the reference was mostly drawn, though, since both the battle of Clitheroe and the cricket took place on 10 June, albeit 880 years apart.

Come to think of it, it wasn't really on the same day due the the loss of 10 days in the switch of calendars in 1582, which, for the trivia buffs amongst you, was the last year when there was a 30th February.

PPS for the even bigger trivia buffs out there, this loss of 10 days is why the tax year ends on 5 April, rather than the traditional quarter day (Lady Day) of 25 March which was the previous fiscal year end
    Last edited by Geoff Parkstone; 11-06-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Aye but William Crassus kicked the Scotch arses a few months later at Northallerton - will Morgan's men get a similar chance? Ah, the good old days of the Anarchy.

i think the reference was mostly drawn, though, since both the battle of Clitheroe and the cricket took place on 10 June, albeit 880 years apart.

Come to think of it, it wasn't really on the same day due the the loss of 10 days in the switch of calendars in 1582, which, for the trivia buffs amongst you, was the last year when there was a 30th February.

PPS for the even bigger trivia buffs out there, this loss of 10 days is why the tax year ends on 5 April, rather than the traditional quarter day (Lady Day) of 25 March which was the previous fiscal year end
    ....and I thought I'd got 'in the weeds' withe F1 thread comment!

You can watch Cricket Matches Highlights at https://highlightsguru.com/category/cricket-highlights/

Quote Originally Posted by Booksnews View Post
    You can watch Cricket Matches Highlights at https://highlightsguru.com/category/cricket-highlights/
    Seems to have been a case of ‘darkest before the dawn’ against the Scots. Not much wrong in the performances since against the Aussies.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Seems to have been a case of ‘darkest before the dawn’ against the Scots. Not much wrong in the performances since against the Aussies.
    481 in an innings, wow. Things have certainly come on a bit in one-day cricket. I recall the start of UK-wide one day cricket back in the day, and I THINK the last over of the first innings of the first game was played neatly out as a maiden....

481 in an innings, wow. Things have certainly come on a bit in one-day cricket. I recall the start of UK-wide one day cricket back in the day, and I THINK the last over of the first innings of the first game was played neatly out as a maiden....
    Insane...it was even a tiny bit disappointing they didn’t make 500 given all the circumstances!
    Wonder how the crowd felt...they saw history made but as a game it was a complete mismatch.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)