+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lampard?

I think we are all agreed on Lampard being a gamble.

IMO, so would anybody else be.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

That is absolutely true, failure is such a big part of being a football manager.

The fans even turned on Wenger in the end and yet he rarely finished outside the top 4.

Expectation is such at derby that anything less than promotion or play offs is or will be deemed a failure.

Only 3 clubs can go up so the chances on whoever comes in achieving the chairman's goal are no better than1 in 8.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

Spot on ‘Amster.
    Don’t really understand all the objections to Lampard.
    I think my preference would actually be Paul Cook, but he doesn’t seem to be in the running so...Lampard...why not?
    He is that rare thing...an intelligent and articulate former top level footballer. He has vast experience of domestic football, is ambitious, has what should prove to be some very useful contacts as far as the loan market is concerned and everyone has to start somewhere.
    Didn’t notice Rangers fans objecting to the appointment of Steven Gerrard.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Spot on ‘Amster.
    everyone has to start somewhere.
    Didn’t notice Rangers fans objecting to the appointment of Steven Gerrard.
    True, though I think Stevie G has gone the easy route, he only has one team to compete with!

[QUOTE=ramAnag;38901031]Spot on ‘Amster.
    Don’t really
    understand all the objections to Lampard.
    I think my preference would actually be Paul Cook, but he doesn’t seem to be in the running so...Lampard...why not?
    He is that rare thing...an intelligent and articulate former top level footballer. He has vast experience of domestic football, is ambitious, has what should prove to be some very useful contacts as far as the loan market is concerned and everyone has to start somewhere.
    Didn’t notice Rangers fans objecting to the appointment of Steven Gerrard.[/QU

RA it would be a massive gamble i know all managers are a gamble But a world of difference between a calculated gamble (ie experienced ) and someone who has never even coached a team never mind managed But if fans are prepared to take that risk just because they assume he has good contacts then so be it Personally I like him and respect him as a person and a player and realise they have to start somewhere But think he should starting in league one or two like most managers have done

[QUOTE=mistaram;38901103]
    Spot on ‘Amster.
    Don’t really
    understand all the objections to Lampard.
    Didn’t notice Rangers fans objecting to the appointment of Steven Gerrard.[/QU

RA it would be a massive gamble i know all managers are a gamble But a world of difference between a calculated gamble (ie experienced ) and someone who has never even coached a team never mind managed But if fans are prepared to take that risk just because they assume he has good contacts then so be it Personally I like him and respect him as a person and a player and realise they have to start somewhere But think he should starting in league one or two like most managers have done
    Take your point but anyone we appoint is a gamble, mista.
    He’s bright, understands the game and, one imagines, has the contacts...that’s a start.
    How hard can it be and can he be much less effective than Clement, Pearson, McClaren 2 and Rowett, at least three of whom were very experienced?

I think the problem with Lampard is that he would need an experienced DOF alongside him. We all know (with the exception of the late lamented Spunky) that the manager basically need not be involved in the transfer deals, contract negotiations and the financial side of the business, which is where your DOF fits in. Thus the manager can focus on team, tactics, performance etc - ie everything on field; the scouts can scout; the DOF can deal with the finance and admin side of things.

Problem therefore is, with Rush and Percy not being active at the club any more, who will shoulder that responsibility? If there was a strong incumbent in that post, I would feel comfortable that Lampard could deal with the playing side. If however he also has to take on a lot of the DOF stuff if we are cutting the role out (or its too expensive to fill the post) then his lack of experience will shine through

[QUOTE=ramAnag;38901121]
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    How hard can it be and can he be much less effective than Clement, Pearson, McClaren 2 and Rowett, at least three of whom were very experienced?
    You don't want to ask yourself that question!

[QUOTE=Carpe_diem;38901148]

You don't want to ask yourself that question!
    Lol...point taken.

I have to revert to 'my loyal opposition' role.
    I thought you folk only claimed Forest have too many managers?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)