+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lampard?

It's called local bragging rights and when neither side has done anything to shout about for so long that's about all it amounts to...

If I were to go on the defensive in the same manner as you Romanis then I'd be calling on league position, actual leagues played in and attendances over the past how ever many seasons not to mention the number of days the Brian Clough trophy has spent in our cabinet rather than yours.

However leaving bitterness aside no team has a right to play in the top level though it does help if you can threaten to get there occasionally!

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    It's called local bragging rights and when neither side has done anything to shout about for so long that's about all it amounts to...

If I were to go on the defensive in the same manner as you Romanis then I'd be calling on league position, actual leagues played in and attendances over the past how ever many seasons not to mention the number of days the Brian Clough trophy has spent in our cabinet rather than yours.

However leaving bitterness aside no team has a right to play in the top level though it does help if you can threaten to get there occasionally!
    Defensive? 'Moi?' Non, Monsieur!!

It was just so funny. Yeah sure, I'll readily concede, we've been crap most of the time, these past 19 years.But vis-à-vis Derby? There's nothing there to compare. As the saying goes 'a miss is as good a mile.'

As you say no team has a given right to promotion. But seriously, if you read my many postings before, I've always said the best thing for Forest other than getting promoted itself, would be for Derby to achieve it. A rivalry is no good, if both clubs are just bywords, for past glories.

Preferably both clubs should succeed in promotion so that the rivalry can get the stage it deserves. But if only 1 succeeds, then that should be the catalyst to spur the other on.

Although granted it's easier said than done. In the top flight, clubs have resources and ability to attract top players. In Tier 2, it's a completely different. Astute signings, lots of luck and a good manager is needed. Plus a whole bag of hard graft on each match day.

But i think the principle can still apply here. The rival that remains must have owners and managers who are capable of using the other's success to buy and motivate players.

It does seem to be working for both Swansea and Cardiff. Hopefully it can apply to our clubs.

And no, what transpired in the previous season should not have so much an impact on the next. Forest have been nowhere close since the first Davies term. Derby quite close recently. But where were Huddersfield the season prior, or Burnley(1st promotion), Bournemouth etc? No where near contention.

I dunno when Forest will get promoted. But I feel confident that I should get an opportunity, Maybe even more than once in what remains of my life. Provided I don't 'kick the bucket anytime soon. (which would be such a pity, as I'm trying seduce a certain youngish chap here- yep as the Chinese here say, once in a while you should try duck instead of always chicken- hahaha)

I think you’re getting too wound up about it R, you and yours take the p*** because we fail at the last hurdle, me and mine reciprocate because you fail at the first, it’s all just s bit of good natured joshing. PS The. # are lost on me I don’t use instagram

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    I don't think I'll be paying any attention to next season (Derby wise) if Lampard or Stimac get it, sorry but one is a rookie who'll be coming into a club with all this baggage hanging on us, and the other has been proven to be useless in multiple jobs

Lampard and Redknapp? jesus h christ, mel.

Wassall, Warburton are the only 2 we should really be considering, maybe Smith from Brentford. but Lampard? its obvious Mel has more money than sense.
    The people that interest you are small time managers who are successful at small time clubs ,not suited to a club like Derby with their fan base . I know we are in the doldrums at the moment ,but the pressure of success is far greater than clubs like Walsall and Brentford. We need someone used to a bigger club ,to get that bigger club mentality back.
    Lower league successful managers would be a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I think you’re getting too wound up about it R, you and yours take the p*** because we fail at the last hurdle, me and mine reciprocate because you fail at the first, it’s all just s bit of good natured joshing. PS The. # are lost on me I don’t use instagram

Fair enough. Anyway what's good a rivalry of both sets of fans are always conciliatory to each other. A bit of ribbing. .But it did seem to me you were serious in what you wrote, hence my amusement.
    Especially the 'gers bit made in comparison.
    Because up north, that's truly a huge tribal over the top thingy. I'm kinda sick and tired of people taking football way over top. It's just sport.

But I've yet to meet a fellow fan who's bitter comparison wise. Hoping you'll fail, obviously. Some also hate with a passion. But most take it in their stride

And although I justifiably take a pop at Derby's fall from time to time, I've never hated Derby. I was rather pleased you got promoted the last time. Although I did also laugh over Zamorra.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Zola as managed Cagliari Watford West Ham but get what you mean
    I mean he's a crap manager!

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzy View Post
    I think he deserves another chance. Not sure about Cagliari. But he did set things in motion at Watford. As for West Ham, always a tough ask, to keep them in the Prem and playing the kind of footy the fans want.

So maybe a more definitive role at another Championship club and we'll see how he does. But I agree with the sentiment that Derby is not the kind of tier 2 club for him.
    Derby expects to be challenging for promotion. Zola needs a club with lesser expectations like an Ipswich, Preston, Brentford or Millwall.
    To steer the club in the right direction and set foundations for a challenge later on.

I think Moyes would be an excellent choice if he could be persuaded to come down a division. Or the other similar type of manager from the Prem - Big Sam. I think Sam would just kind of manager you need. Sure the footy will be dull, but he'll make you almost impregnable at the back. A key essence to a successful challenge for promotion.
    But of course, it's whether either would come and whether Mel is prepared to pay top dollar for their services. They won't come cheap.
    And they'll expect to be backed in signing their kind of players.

Oh by the bye, I hope you're not thinking of Warburton. You'll get loads of excitement. Flashy footy on the day sometimes. But you'll never be anywhere close to the playoffs let alone promotion. Eddy is spot on here in his assessment of 'smaller club types of managers.'

PS Andy: I've noticed a lack of posting of my favourite poster. Don't tell me, you've wielded the Sword of Damocles on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzy View Post
    Yes he is

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post

PS Andy: I've noticed a lack of posting of my favourite poster. Don't tell me, you've wielded the Sword of Damocles on him?
    I refer to my music-related announcement - ‘30 days in the hole’

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)