+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Shaw Lane FC look to move to Wakefield

Shaw Lane FC look to move to Wakefield

Shaw Lane AFC are considering a move out of Barnsley, due to 'dislike' for them in the town, with Wakefield a possible destination.

The Ducks won the Sheffield Senior Cup with a 4-3 extra-time success over *****tone Church, who led three times, at Bramall Lane on Tuesday. It was their second successive win of that cup to add to their five promotions in seven seasons, but they are still averaging crowds of less than 200 and a recent application to become AFC Barnsley was rejected by the FA. Owner Craig Wood admits he has doubts about how long the club can continue in its current form and says they are 'not wanted in Barnsley.'

He signed a ten-year lease with Athersley Rec last summer but is now looking at several other options, including a potential groundshare with Wakefield Trinity. The rugby league club play at the 9,000-seat Belle Vue and are hoping to build a new stadium.

Wood told the Chronicle: "I don't think there is an appetite for a successful non-league club in Barnsley. There are too many obstacles. Our future may not be in Barnsley.

"I am in discussions with various people about the possibility of moving away. We have got a city not far away that has not got a football club. There has been talk of Wakefield Trinity building a new stadium and there are some other options as well.
    "I doubt it will be for next season but we will see. There should be developments in the next few weeks."

Wood is still hoping to take the Ducks into the National League, formerly the Conference. But he recognises that there is negativity surrounding the club following their rapid rise since being formed in 2011, his support of Sheffield Wednesday and the frosty relationship with Barnsley FC who objected to the name change.

"We're not really wanted in Barnsley. I am a Barnsley lad, I have a Barnsley business and I wanted this so much in Barnsley but there seems to be so much dislike towards us. We have a good team and club and we have achieved so much so quickly that it would be a shame to lose all of that.

"But we need to take it to the next level and build a fanbase and I don't think we can do that in Barnsley. I can't take the club any further on attendances of 150. We have been to the first round of the FA Cup and been live on TV this season, but we have got no more fans than we had five years ago."

Bye bye Craig , if you weren't such a dyck head to start with then it could have worked well between the two clubs .

We could have loaned you some young player for instance , trained on our facilities and helped you out with the medical side .

But no your attitude towards us was all wrong and now you are finding that out the hard way .

Clearly hours after we were relegated and your " ain't karma a bytch " twitter possibly had you contemplating hiring a couple of body guards from our fans reaction to you .

Good bye , you won't be missed .

Barnsley lads don't support pigs

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Bye bye Craig , if you weren't such a dyck head to start with then it could have worked well between the two clubs .

We could have loaned you some young player for instance , trained on our facilities and helped you out with the medical side .

But no your attitude towards us was all wrong and now you are finding that out the hard way .

Clearly hours after we were relegated and your " ain't karma a bytch " twitter possibly had you contemplating hiring a couple of body guards from our fans reaction to you .

Good bye , you won't be missed .

Yes, karma indeed! I for one, was pleased about their FA cup exploits & wished them all the bars. Sadly, the chairman's attitudes seem a bit to be desired with ideas well above reality! You are (at present) Shaw Lane not AFC Barnsley (& never should be!) - no doubt you can up your own importance by dumping "Shaw Lane" monika for a suitable Wakefield name! Off you go, silly man!

See you underneathing dollshead. Nowt to do with non league football, I regularly watch it myself having played with a lot of lads on the scene in my time. Feel free to play in wakey but I should imagine that people will stick with ossett and view aqua force with the same disdain that we do.

Personally I've nowt against em. They have done exceptionally well all be it with extra funding to other clubs at that level. The owner seems a bit of a c0ck end. They're nowt to do with BFC and certainly not a threat to us. Good luck in Wakey.

I've nowt against them either. I rather like the idea of a decent level non league side in town. Used to watch Frickley quite a bit until they fell down the leagues.

Be careful in Wakefield you might disappear. Emley thought the city was ripe for a non league team and look what happened to them. Why not make your peace in Barnsley and drop the pigs association, it'll never fit here.

Barnsley fans can’t cope with a club that averages 150 per match !!

Just how stupid are Barnsley fans ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Barnsley fans can’t cope with a club that averages 150 per match !!

Just how stupid are Barnsley fans ?

As tha nowt better to do? Likes o us Rotherham and donny lose enough folk to the sh1tty Sheffield clubs and Leeds. Mind you, them 3 so called big clubs have been that shyte for last 20 years there's no appeal anymore for any d1ckhead gloryhunters. 1 season in the top flight between Leeds Wednesday and blunts in the last 15 years says it all. Blunts had 6 yrs in LG 1. Wednesday and Leeds both been in that division too recently. Aye, you may well try and run us darn but take a look int mirror mi owd. You're a nothing club in modern day footballing terms.