+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone explain this ?

Can anyone explain this ?

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    It's been quoted that Collin was on something like £3000 a week, it's a lot of money for a goalie who roots himself to his line, has poor positional sense and has problems getting down to low shots fast enough. I suspect Nolan has been told if he wants his 25+ goal a season striker, he can't be spending that much on an average keeper?

Interesting, if the situation is as it reads. Maybe the club were not willing to meet Collin's ongoing wage demands even though Kevin Nolan et al personally wanted him to stay?

In the official press release there were references to the decisions being made "as a management team", so maybe there was a lot of push and pull between the football management side and the club management side, leading to these decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    It's been quoted that Collin was on something like £3000 a week, it's a lot of money for a goalie who roots himself to his line, has poor positional sense and has problems getting down to low shots fast enough. I suspect Nolan has been told if he wants his 25+ goal a season striker, he can't be spending that much on an average keeper?
    Sounds a reasonable explanation

may not all be totally football related either. The guy who pays the bill may require other qualities in character too, but agree, thats a lot for an average keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Interesting, if the situation is as it reads. Maybe the club were not willing to meet Collin's ongoing wage demands even though Kevin Nolan et al personally wanted him to stay?

In the official press release there were references to the decisions being made "as a management team", so maybe there was a lot of push and pull between the football management side and the club management side, leading to these decisions.
    But Shirley the Manager has the final say or am I wrong ?

I reckon your 3k a week was more guesswork than accuracy !

Chairman sets the budget. If Collins wages are over the wage cap or something, then its a simple decision.

It's been quoted that Collin was on something like £3000 a week.
    Out of interest, where was this figure quoted and who by?

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    But Shirley the Manager has the final say or am I wrong ?
    I doubt that's the case at many clubs these days to be honest. The manager of course will have a big say, and in most cases the biggest, but football clubs are businesses and you can't completely separate the football considerations from the financial implications.

Some might point at a Tweet like this to suggest some major bust up behind the scenes, but it's probably a case of the two "sides" each presenting their own case and reaching a compromise from which they all go forward. Not dissimilar to the relationship between the shop floor and the boardroom in most businesses at the end of the day. Internal challenge and debate is all part of the improvement process.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast