+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Froome

O/T Froome

unlike other Uk sports channels, Eurosports subscription is EU wide, so from my position in the middle of nowhere,while the cricketers toiled i watched, on and off, one of the most outstanding team and individual performances ive seen for a long time. Chris Froome, set up by his excellent Sky team mates, destroyed the field to take the lead of the Giro d'Italia with two stages to go. three questions for ya:
    are you bothered?
    do you consider him british?
    do you consider him a cheat?

me?

yes, yes, no

Are you bothered?------------------Yes
    Do you consider him British?-------Yes
    Do you consider him a cheat?-----No
    Unbelievable how the British seem to be nailing it in all cycling events, this will be just another great cycling achievement!
    IMO that was an astonishing ride, especially on the decent, the best of Froome's career!

As someone who dabbled with the steel and more recently Aluminium and Carbon Fibre Horse for use in triathlons I follow the cycling with great interest. That was a performance to rejoice in, one of immense team work that set up a brilliant individual victory. If he can hold on to the lead in the last 2 days of the Giro it will put him up among the all time greats of Cycling. Only a handful have won all 3 of the Grand Tours. I might be mistaken but I think that a win in this year's Giro will see him be the first to hold all 3 Grand Tours simultaneously. The watch him try to make that all 3 in the same calendar year. Something very feasible for him.

Am I bothered?------------------Yes

Do you consider him British?-------Yes. The whole nationality thing isn't cut and dried to where you were born. You can qualify to represent a country through birth, where your parents were born and where your grandparents were born or where you emigrate and take on. I can represent England/UK/GB and the Netherlands. My boys can represent The Netherlands through birth, England/UK/GB through me or Indonesia through their grandfather being born their of Dutch parents. It could get completely ludicrous where you were born in 1 country, both parents were born in separate foreign countries, all 4 grandparents originate from other and different countries, you then move to yet another country and take on that nationality. That is a total of 8 countries people could qualify to represent. Froome was born to British parents. He is British, amongst other things.

Do you consider him a cheat?-----No. He has one adverse test to his name. It was a medicine he takes on a regular basis for (I think) Asthma. One the authorities know about and knew about beforehand. Every time he is given it, it is noted what it was, how much was given and why, by hios doctor. That information was passed to the UCI before the race. All above board and open. If the dose was too high, the UCI should have stopped him racing that day. They didn't.

Pretty much my assessment MA, yesterday was one of the most absorbing days of sport I’ve ever watched

Anywhere that has such a glorious view of the Mendips and is the hometown of the gorgeous Anna Friel has to be good by me

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)