+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Villa or Fulham

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Last and only time I was there 59/60 we won 5-3, sometime in the 1960s. Either Willie Irvine or Brian O'Neill scored a hat trick, it's so long ago now I can't remember which.
    Perhaps it is just the memory that is failing sinkov because it could well have been this match that he was talking about
    Fulham v Burnley - 11th December 1965 Football League Division One

Fulham 2 Burnley 5 Willie Irvine (3), Brian O'Neil, Brian Miller (pen)

Attendance: 12,092

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Perhaps it is just the memory that is failing sinkov because it could well have been this match that he was talking about
    Fulham v Burnley - 11th December 1965 Football League Division One

Fulham 2 Burnley 5 Willie Irvine (3), Brian O'Neil, Brian Miller (pen)

Attendance: 12,092
    Yes, that's the one Ss, gave Fulham a goal too many but my memory didn't do too badly with the rest. One thing I don't remember is Brian Miller taking a penalty. Did he take many, and as we had so many prolific scorers at the time, why on earth was Brian taking them anyway ?

Yes, that's the one Ss, gave Fulham a goal too many but my memory didn't do too badly with the rest. One thing I don't remember is Brian Miller taking a penalty. Did he take many, and as we had so many prolific scorers at the time, why on earth was Brian taking them anyway ?
    Better effort this one sinkov. My uncle on my mother's side lived in the street right behind Craven Cottage and he took me to the match.

I'm sure Brian was captain at the time and he just walked over and took the ball. He was a big lad was Mr Miller and no-one dared argue with him. I am also sure it was the first time I ever saw a penalty smashed right down the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Better effort this one sinkov. My uncle on my mother's side lived in the street right behind Craven Cottage and he took me to the match.

I'm sure Brian was captain at the time and he just walked over and took the ball. He was a big lad was Mr Miller and no-one dared argue with him. I am also sure it was the first time I ever saw a penalty smashed right down the middle.
    Be fair BT, my first effort wasn't bad, we had won there 5-3 and 5-2 in the 60s, at over 50 years distance, just getting the Fulham scores the wrong round is forgiveable surely ?

Anyway I'll put my memory to the test once again. I have this idea that the BT's goal was a screamer from 25/30 yards out. You were there, and you of all people should be able to recall that. Am I right ?

Come on BT, was it a 30 yarder or not, you were there.

Sinkov, watching Brian O'Neil play inspired my first ever case of "man love".

If I recall correctly and I am sure I can, the ball was tapped to him on a short free kick and he blasted it in from just outside the 'D'.

One of Irvine's was a spectacular scissors kick from a cross by I think Willie Morgan.

My long departed great uncle Bill was an avid Cottager but he loved Burnley because they were one of the few teams at the time who could beat Tottenham.

He was on a visit "up north" and stood with me in the Beehole End when we hammered Spurs 7-2 and BT scored twice, funnily enough both 25-30 yard screamers from outside the box!

Your recall of detail is far better than mine BT, you must be quite a bit younger, so it's not so far in the distant past for you. I saw so many big games in the 60s, but I can remember very little detail from them now.

One that really surprised me recently was seeing a photo of us descending the Wembley steps after receiving losers medals in the 62 Cup Final. It was clearly raining quite hard, men had macs on, women with those plastic rainhoods they used to wear. I was there, and stood out in the open, but if you'd have asked I would have said it was a fine day, I have no recollection of rain, or getting wet whatsoever.

Your recall of detail is far better than mine BT, you must be quite a bit younger, so it's not so far in the distant past for you. I saw so many big games in the 60s, but I can remember very little detail from them now.

One that really surprised me recently was seeing a photo of us descending the Wembley steps after receiving losers medals in the 62 Cup Final. It was clearly raining quite hard, men had macs on, women with those plastic rainhoods they used to wear. I was there, and stood out in the open, but if you'd have asked I would have said it was a fine day, I have no recollection of rain, or getting wet whatsoever.
    My wife thinks I am some sort of autistic and quite mad football freak, I have this daft gift of being able to remember almost every game I have ever seen or played in.

When I am in her company and meet up with old mates, all I get is "here we go again!" I once told her about a Cup Final I played in, we won 6-1 and I missed a penalty.

Two weeks later I was walking down Blackpool promenade with her and I bumped into our old centre-forward who was also walking down the prom with his missus. He said do you remember me scoring a hat trick in the 1967 Cup Final and you missing a penalty!

To further compound her woes he sent me a photo of the team, which the wife had framed and is now on my study wall. Great times!

I was ten at the time and I cried all the way back to Crewe where the train broke down. My grandad threatened to throw me off the train unless I "grew up and remembered it's only a game!" I still prefer Bill Shankly's take on the beautiful game!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)