+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT. Irish Abortion vote

OT. Irish Abortion vote

Ireland referendum exit polls predict landslide in favour of legalising abortion.

Will the losers of this ballot be demanding a rerun because not everyone in Ireland turned out, or will they accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Ireland referendum exit polls predict landslide in favour of legalising abortion.

Will the losers of this ballot be demanding a rerun because not everyone in Ireland turned out, or will they accept it.
    Lol...you never give up!
    Doubtless those that oppose the result will continue to hold their views...it’s another age (and old school religious) divide, I suspect.
    The point surely is though that this, unlike the case of Brexit, is how referenda should be used. The subject is infinitely less complex than Brexit and the result - seemingly - totally overwhelming.
    When the result is in the region of 70/30 there really is no argument. With Brexit the result was marginal, the issue massively complex and 63% of the ‘people’ didn’t vote for it...compare and contrast!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 26-05-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Yawn...

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol...you never give up!
    "I" never give up!! As McEnroe said, You can't be serious!!!

Now...now. I’m a stubborn sod I accept...but you’re the one who keeps ‘fishing’.
    You started the Brexit thread and this one too...my point remains...there is a clear mandate provided by the Irish referendum and none provided by Brexit.
    That says it all and I’ll guarantee the result of yesterday’s referendum will be implemented a hell of a lot quicker than Brexit which, you need to accept, politicians will still be wasting time and wrangling over for years to come.

Small correction, Senor.
    It's you Cannot be serious.'
    Preferably in CAPS. And to be screamed if in real life!

Talk now of a 7 year transition period in which we continue to pay a King's ransom to the EU every week but have no say in what new rules/laws they dream up.......

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol...you never give up!
    Doubtless those that oppose the result will continue to hold their views...it’s another age (and old school religious) divide, I suspect.
    The point surely is though that this, unlike the case of Brexit, is how referenda should be used. The subject is infinitely less complex than Brexit and the result - seemingly - totally overwhelming.
    When the result is in the region of 70/30 there really is no argument. With Brexit the result was marginal, the issue massively complex and 63% of the ‘people’ didn’t vote for it...compare and contrast!
    In the Irish abortion vote 57% of the 'people' didn't vote for it, not that different to 63%. That aside, should men have been allowed to vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    In the Irish abortion vote 57% of the 'people' didn't vote for it, not that different to 63%. That aside, should men have been allowed to vote?
    Which brings us to an old Dutch saying "wie zwijgt stemt toe". Those are the rules of votes in the UK too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    But, unlike Brexit, the result has still been overwhelming Ram...the mandate is clear.
    Why ever would you query whether ‘men should have been allowed to vote’?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)