+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In or out for Bruce

Spot on westcountry

Steve Bruce is going to be a sought after manager. Once again he has proved to be able to get a team to the playoffs. And with the toss of a coin we didn't go up. Baggieal can tell us all about being a tosser. I'd rather be a team with SB than without

http://astonvillacentral.com/squad/contracts/

Now minus the loan players this is our current squad.

Obviously the out of contracts are listed on the left.

Definitely keep the faith with SB, we have thrown enough money down the drain with compensation payments.

Steve Bruce

• Is a genuinely nice guy

• Steve came up short, ultimately due to his penchant of utilising aged/experienced players set up to grind out results, brave attempt but no cigar !

Steve Bruce next term ?

• Requires an enhanced awareness in tactical nous to compete against varied/different styles

• Necessity states, has to incorporate our youth getting our side playing on the front foot

• Ensure we are more inventive, Not so dependant on Jack Grealish

The $50,000 question guys is Steve Bruce capable of such a modification in his modus operandi ?

Answers on a postcard please

We are going to be losing enough people already without losing the manager too. His tactics may be a little too negative but they have been the bedrock of turning our club around since he’s been here.

His appeal to players cannot be underestimated either. They all seem to like working for him and it appears he was solely responsible for getting Terry, Snodgrass and Johnson to the club such is his influence. Let’s hope it stands for something next season too!

SB has had the guts of 2 seasons playing sit back and try & sneak one at the other end. Yet on the 4 or 5 times during this period when he has had to attack full pelt, or at least on the front foot, we have mullered all comers. His squad are not even able for ‘Bruce Ball’, only Hutts and Grabban are ‘Hoof’ players. Maybe he uses these tactics cos he can’t coach the others to pass to a teammate.

1st season, the play offs were there for the taking but we lost 5 on the bounce at the beginning of the year. SEASON A FAILURE

2nd season, 10pts from 27 in the opening 9 matches and 4pts from 15 in the spring denied us automatic promotion.

SB said all season his target was 2pts a game for promotion, his words. He was right, 92pts would have won automatic promotion, we got 83. Ist half tactics were appalling on Saturday, an absolute disgrace. SEASON A FAILURE, not cos of one game at Wembley, but over 46 games this past season.

He had the biggest squad, highest wage bill, largest backroom resources. He has failed.

I believed he was the ideal man for this season, how wrong I was.

Now? It does surprise me that this is even up for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    We are going to be losing enough people already without losing the manager too. His tactics may be a little too negative but they have been the bedrock of turning our club around since he’s been here.

His appeal to players cannot be underestimated either. They all seem to like working for him and it appears he was solely responsible for getting Terry, Snodgrass and Johnson to the club such is his influence. Let’s hope it stands for something next season too!
    Obviously S B was instrumental in influencing players to commit to A V F C, however Tony Xia sanctioned/bankrolled these loans

My concerns i.e. Saturday V Fulham

a) WE should be proactive NOT reactive to their threat

b)Brutally illustrated our lack of a “plan B” whilst we were being over run in every department

Bloody hell the Baggies are back.

Can't quite believe the Anti Bruce stuff all over the net. Villa fans turning on each other in the nastiest of ways.What I haven't seen from the militant Bruce out dandyclub is viable suggestions on who would take us one step further. Sacking a manager who took you to the playoff final makes no sense at all.

Exiled has it right. I stood (!) in my seat at Wembley looking at Jokanovic and Bruce and knowing which one should be at Villa. The first half was embarrasingly bad just like QPR and Norwich where we lost the automatic promotion and it was clear Bruce had no desire or ability to change it. Second half was a gutsy backs against the wall job, could have nicked an equaliser but they could equally have been 3-0 up. We were outrun, outpassed and ultimately outclassed and who could deny Fulham deserved it.

OK what now. I can't believe people are even considering another season of this football and given the parachute ending, losing probably 8 of our players and needing to find and coach youth it simply cannot be Steve Bruce. This is not "Villa fans turning on each other", it is simply assessing the best way forward for our club in what is a unique stage in our history where we have consolidated our position in the 2nd divison with an aging defensive team and now to need to kick on with a fresh approach to get promotion. Take the emotion out of it and think football.

Feels like a massive gamble to twist and not stick given Bruce's track record in this league, Newcastle kept Rafa and it paid off - the football I saw from them was terrible but the difference was they went down by a narrow margin & retained several players. When we went down we needed wholesale changes, it nearly worked but yes he has failed. Brighton stuck with Hughton after missing out and went up automatically last season and have stayed up - he for me would be the one for us if Bruce were to go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)