+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A worse decison than even Owen Coyles?

A worse decison than even Owen Coyles?

Like most people I've managed to make one or two poor decisions during my professional life, but they pale into insignificance when I think of Owen Coyle's decision to move to Bolton; like SD today, Burnley wouldn't have sacked him when we were relegated back to the Championship and he might well still have been here today?
    Following on from that contemplation, I suspect that Owen Coyle consoles himself with the thought that even he didn't choose as badly as Steve Davis did: As I recall he was appointed caretaker-Manager when Cotterell left and again for a couple of days when Coyle resigned, before he announced that he was going to join Coyle at Bolton? Given his history with the club, had he stayed put then there was surely half-a-chance we'd have made it a permanent appointment rather than bring in Brian Laws and at worst he'd certainly have been retained in a coaching role in both the Laws and subsequently Sean Dyche's team. Where's he coaching now? I suspect it's not with any club in the top seven of the Premiership/playing in Europe next season?

According to Wiki Steve Davis is Head Scout at Fleetwood now. With hindsight it might seem Coyle made a big mistake jumping ship to Bolton, but given his connection to Bolton, and the fact that they were 10 years ahead of us, I can understand why he did it. I'm not sure why Steve Davis bailed out as well, maybe he was getting assurances from Coyle he wasn't getting from us. Whatever, it all turned out well enough for us, so feck em.

Surely Coyles consistent downward trajectory since 2010 with every decision he has made must be far worse than Steve Davies. He is still in a job at least.
    Bolton, Wigan, Rovers, Houston, Ross County all end up being relegated (or bottom in Houston’s case) after his insightful input and choices. However he will have made enough to keep him happy ... if he can sleep at night when he looks at the PL table. I suppose we were lucky he left as his magic was starting to wear off by Xmas and he knew it.
    The man is now a snake oil salesman trying to use us as his selling point. Don’t think there is anyone left who would want him given his more recent record.

I was told at the time that people like Brendan flood said after Davies jumped ship, he would never be made welcome back at Turf Moor.

Seems to be pretty much the case too!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)