+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: That's it! Footy over, holiday time...where

Hotel in Puerto Pollensa in June,
    Cottage in Hartington, Derbyshire in September.

Got to economise this year
    Devon July
    Cotswolds October
    Several family days out
    Saving my money for all those away games

Lanzarote now.....Rio & Iguassu in September......Arizona & Colorado in November.

All wearing my Notts shirt.

Oh, and Tricky.....I'm not going with Thomson!

Bali in September, can't bloomin wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by americanpie View Post
    Lanzarote now.....Rio & Iguassu in September......Arizona & Colorado in November.

All wearing my Notts shirt.

Oh, and Tricky.....I'm not going with Thomson!
    Take the Mrs,
    He was **** at Liverpool anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Take the Mrs,
    He was **** at Liverpool anyway
    Name:  xxx.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  8.6 KB

Think I'll take the girlfriend instead

Tenerife early August , the French Alps late.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Just booked for Mexico.

ps Before I do all that, any advice you can give me on the area mate?
    Huge tourist spot, fastest growing city apparently in Latin America.....relatively unknown until the 90s.....5th Avenue is wall-to-wall bars, restaurants, shopping malls, giant stores and nightclubs.....the night-life and the "youngsters" using drugs have caused the cartels to move in and there is sporadic violence but very rarely against tourists....massive armed police presence, so you are unlikely to see any trouble......stick to the main areas and side-streets.....use ADO buses wherever possible to visit Tulum Mayan ruins or any of the cenotes (underground water-filled sink-holes)...ADO bus direct from airport to Playa every 20 minutes about 200 pesos......try to avoid taxis as they are pricey.....negotiate wherever possible, threaten to walk away normally gets you 30% discount.....if they say 150 pesos back to your hotel, offer them 100, it normally works....you like arguing anyway!!

High prices on pretty much everything around the beaches and 5th Avenue (a beer in the Oxxo stores which are everywhere there, are 15 to 20 pesos but 45 to 50 pesos in the bars, 87 in the airport!!....plus they will expect a 10% tip).....some restaurants are "sneaky" and add on the 10% as a service charge, I tell them to remove it, then offer them a tip.......change money in the UK at a money-exchange outlet, banks will rob you here and atms are even worse with their service charge on top...26.72 pesos to the £1 today, 26.50 using the internet for me but banks will probably try to shave another peso off that plus a bank service charge...ouch

Check your change after every transaction before moving away, the girl in the ADO bus station, there are 2 in Playa, has twice given me the wrong change, normally 100 pesos light......that is no coincidence!!....the same at gas stations if you have a rental car....they do not reset the pump and often say you gave them the wrong note ie you gave them a 50 instead of 500....point out that it is 500.

Lastly, try to get out and about, the Mexican mom-n-pop places are superb value if they look busy with Mexican families and the odd tourist.....half the price, great service, good food....always carry water (and beer in a cooler bag if you have one), it is HOT and it takes a while to get used to it....take a hat.....watch out the free chilli salsas that are offered with every meal, they say they are "mild" but one dollop and you think you are having a heart attack.

Miriam and I will be stopping in Playa in late July, so I will be spending a couple of days getting "fleeced as well" but she loves all the nightlife and razzle-dazzle, shopping etc.....grrrrrrr.....I prefer to move inland and see the Mayan ruins and get into the jungle, off the beaten track.

Enjoy, stay safe.....Mexico is a great country

https://www.bricrental.com/a-look-in...early-days.htm

Cromer, Plymouth, Kernow, Torrevieja not necessarily in that order!

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Cromer, Plymouth, Kernow, Torrevieja not necessarily in that order!
    Been to Torrevieja - beware the rip tides at La Zenia! That's where my wife was pulled from the sea and had a brain hemorrhage last June.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast