+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Heelan League 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Indeed, the big Belgian, who came from nowhere and returned there via one golden moment of opportunism at Shielfield Park in 1981 (or was it 1980)...

de Clerck's goal wasn't the only oddity.

Strachan scored directly from a corner, and Stuart Kennedy hit one of his occasional crosses that landed behind the 'keeper, reminiscent of the extra time winner in the 78-79 League Cup semi at Dens Park that flummoxed Mike McArthur, the Hibs goalie that The Proclaimers probably DIDN'T sing about.

Hewitt's goal at Berwick was pretty conventional in comparison.

Two nights pishing it up in the King's Head, Berwick, then a dash up the road next day for Joe Harper's Testimonial match. Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/f...1&squad=Senior
    Last edited by 57vintage; 01-04-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Pedant's corner.
    The Hibs goalie was, I think, Mike MacDonald.
    Round about that time The Cabbage had a keeper called Jim MacCarthur, short for a keeper, moustachiod, went on to be an agent.

But I think the keeper that night was Mike MacDonald, taller, blond heided.

When I had the chance to ask Kennedy about another one of those crosses, against Hibs in the 1979 League Cup semi final, he was adamant he had meant it.

Mind you, on the same night, he also claimed that he had 'f*cking set up' Gemmill's goal against the Dutch in 78.

Quote Originally Posted by krakowdon View Post

Mind you, on the same night, he also claimed that he had 'f*cking set up' Gemmill's goal against the Dutch in 78.
    I heard him say the same thing to a young Tim fan and his blonde after the 2017 Scottish Cup Final on train between Glasgow and Edinburgh. He exited at Polmont if memory serves. I think he had a few which surprised me because I always though he was tea-total. Perhaps only during his playing career

I've heard countless tales of Stuart K being a right top fella.
    Sadly, none of them first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    I heard him say the same thing to a young Tim fan and his blonde after the 2017 Scottish Cup Final on train between Glasgow and Edinburgh. He exited at Polmont if memory serves. I think he had a few which surprised me because I always though he was tea-total. Perhaps only during his playing career
    Teetotal you fool...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Glad i don't have to go to Invergordon. Some place that.
    Would whole heartily agree with that statement Pac. I have some hazy memories of Inver G in the late 80's early 90's spent a fair bit of time up there when it was like an oil rig graveyard.
    Seem to recall a bar called the Caledonian and one called the Silver something or other, it was pretty clear that anything was fair game in any of these two establishments
    Sadly (or luckily maybe) my memories are hazy and dodgy to put it mildly.
    Your right enough what a fekin place

Dare say it has changed a fair bit since them days though

The Silver Dollar is the other bar you're thinking of.
    Invergordon is pretty bleak.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    The Silver Dollar is the other bar you're thinking of.
    Invergordon is pretty bleak.
    Yip Sneckie, that's the one, I was thinking on silver darling or something like that but your spot on Silver Dollar it was.
    Are both bars still on the go? I would not have said it was pretty bleak at that time as the amount of rigs in the bay was obviously bringing a lot of passing trade to both InverG and Alness, and the two bars I recall were like I say "ahem" fair play for anything and us young loons and rig pigs, were all well up for a party, haha what more do i need to say.

I can imagine it would have been a pretty bleak place without the amount of passing trade that we brought to there
    Last edited by blowupsheep; 01-04-2019 at 04:20 PM.

I stayed there the first 2 visits for work, in the Marine hotel. Went to the Silver dollar. It seemed everyone with a drink problem and more gaps than teeth wanted a go with me

Started staying in Tain after that

I went through on my way to Brora and a pint in the Marine. Rig grave yard doesnt cover it now

Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast