+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Heelan League 2018-19

Would he have won it with the Broch?

It would have been defunct when he was at Buckie Bhoys

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    The Qualifying Cup was the route to the Scottish Cup for Highland League clubs until they scrapped it in 2007.

Four semi-finalists went into the first round draw, and then what was invariably the best game of the season, the Q Cup final took place in October. Fans used to attend these finals in huge numbers, and on occasion I’d attend a final even if the Maroons weren’t in it.

Beating Sevcove on penalties in 2003 after coming back from 2-0 down, was among the best experiences I’ve ever had at a fitba match.

Kenny Mackenzie is a folk hero.
    What was the reason given for scrapping it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post

It would have been defunct when he was at Buckie Bhoys
    I tried to get him sent off in a schools match in the late 1980s in one of the first occasions of play acting witnessed in Schools Football...If that's the little winger that played for Mintlaw that is...

Aye hes a Mintlaw loon. May have been his bro who a year older though and was a winger as a pro

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    What was the reason given for scrapping it?
    To allow wider access to all 18 Highland League/local FA clubs, rather than just the four who made it to the semi finals, and to Association members and juniors.

There is no equivalent of the Scottish Cup now (as that is what the Q Cup was) for Highland League teams. That is a a crying shame.

If he was playing in the very last final, he would have (2007-08). Broch 2 Keith 1 in a real ding-dong at Banf, but I think he'd have been at Vale by then. Keith's consolation was winning the League, the League Cup and the Aberdeenshire Shield that season, although, oddly, Dave Cormie, manager of Huntly took the HL Manager of the Year award, since it was voted on before the magnificent twin afternoons of 05.05.07 - top of the league for the first time at 4.45 on the last day of the league season, [roon ye Entitled FC of Harlaw], and 12.05.07, which saw Cammy bag a hat trick as his final pre-US flourish as Buckie were on the business end of a sound 5-0 thrashing in the League Cup final at Banff.

I was 'invited' by the editor of The Northern Scot* to pen a letter of surprise to the Elgin paper on the back of Cormie's win at the expense of Martin Allan.

* merely coincidence that he was a Keith loon whose own loon played briefly for the Maroons 4 or 5 seasons later.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 24-09-2018 at 09:04 AM.

I text him. He did indeed play in that final. Says it was the best club comp and means more than his multiple Aberdeenshire shield, multiple Aberdeenshire cup, 4 Leagues medals.

Always the bridesmaid in the League cup though x6

I notice Cormies still kicking about as Assistant at Turrah. He is the reason i f@cking despise Formartinks

I text him. He did indeed play in that final. Says it was the best club comp and means more than his multiple Aberdeenshire shield, multiple Aberdeenshire cup, 4 Leagues medals.

Always the bridesmaid in the League cup though x6

I notice Cormies still kicking about as Assistant at Turrah. He is the reason i f@cking despise Formartinks
    Keith are the leading League Cup winners with ten wins, including three in a row (73, 74, 75 all against Ross County, Doug Rougvie won his first senior medal in the 73 final).

Cormie's difficult to like. I was reporting on a Locos game v Vale at Harlaw, and I heard him ask as I waited outside his office for a post-match interview, "Who's that c-unt waiting outside?" I don't think The Smiths' "This Charming Man" was written with him in mind.

The thing about Cormie is he can be a decent dude and quite a funny chap.

I used to watch Formartine (hadnt turned tink by then). 4 of my pals were there and they are my local team. If my game was off and the Dons were away i would watch them home or away, id get all their midweekers and i spoke to Cormie alot as he recognised i was watching his team quite alot.

Then came my Buchanhaven Hearts knocking them out the cup one season. They were flying at the top of the Premier (now Superleague) and paying silly money for Juniors and we were in the second tier and skint. Beat them convincingly. Proper underdog story. But deserved it over the 90 and was a great scalp. Then i heard that fat pr@ck say to our manager in the social club after. "first things first Billy, that is the worst f@cking team ive seen you manage,just a f@cking terrible outfit" Then went on and on about how they battered us and other bullsh@t that was so far from the truth. It was the worst case of sour grapes ive ever witnessed. No need for it at all. From that day i have hated that team. So much so when i was doi g my Heelan Hike i took on a Cove game at North Lodge to avoid the c@nts

I know a few ex Junior managers (one of which im always bumping into HFL games) and none have time for him
    Last edited by Pacman1903; 24-09-2018 at 01:47 PM.

The Second Round draw

20/10 games to be played

Albion Rovers v Formartine United
    Beith Juniors v Linlithgow Rose
    Berwick Rangers v Gretna FC 2008
    Brora Rangers v Coldstream (oooooooooof some hike, long way to go to sh@t yourself)
    Cove Rangers v Auchinleck Talbot
    Cowdenbeath v Clyde
    Cumbernauld Colts v BSC Glasgow
    Deveronvale v University of Stirling/Keith
    East Kilbride v Spartans
    Edinburgh City v Forres Mechanics/Civil Service Strollers
    Edusport Academy v Fraserburgh
    Elgin City v Whitehall Welfare
    Gala Fairydean v East Stirlingshire
    Peterhead v Dalbeattie Star/Kelty Hearts
    Rothes v Annan Athletic
    Stirling Albion v Queen's Park