+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 More Signed Up

2 More Signed Up

Ross fitzsimons & Pierce Bird both 2 year deals

http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/...ons-new-deals/
    Last edited by Steward; 29-05-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Ross fitzsimons & Pierce Bird both 2 year deals

http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/...ons-new-deals/
    Happy with that. Fitz is a good prospect and I assume Bird got decents reviews from his loan spell to earn a 2yr deal

Both young and hungry for success. Can’t grumble at this. Assume that Fitz will be 1st choice and to be fair other than his moment of stupidity he looked solid and his distribution is much better than Collins.
    If Notts want to be a footballing side like CCFC we need a keeper who is comfortable playing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    his distribution is much better than Collins.
    If Notts want to be a footballing side like CCFC we need a keeper who is comfortable playing it out.
    Two things are wrong with this.

1. Adam Collin threw the ball out way more often (and further) than Fitzsimons (or any other keeper we've had for years), his distribution was fine except for the odd kick under pressure, everything else he did was comparable to Fitzsimons except he threw the ball out too.

2. If Notts want to finish in a lower position in the league next season and earn less points, trying to play like Coventry then the keeper is not the problem. I haven't seen a goalkeeper kick it as far as Coventry's keeper from the edge of his box since Kasper Schmeichel away at Cheltenham when he was putting it into their penalty area.

It’s not about how far someone can kick the ball. One reason Jo Hart got sacked off from Man City and now England is his lack of composure when the ball is at his feet. Pep Guardiola likes his keepers to be good footballers, and this is where Fitz has more potential than Collin.
    Will it happen? Time will tell.

It’s not about how far someone can kick the ball. One reason Jo Hart got sacked off from Man City and now England is his lack of composure when the ball is at his feet. Pep Guardiola likes his keepers to be good footballers, and this is where Fitz has more potential than Collin.
    Will it happen? Time will tell.
    The way people seem to look back at Fitz' time you'd think he'd looked like Ederson when he was in the team

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    The way people seem to look back at Fitz' time you'd think he'd looked like Ederson when he was in the team
    Nah, not as many tattoos!

Seriously though, my impression of Ross Fitzsimons was that of a good young goalkeeper. Not spectacular like Schmeichel (few are!), but competent in all aspects of his trade. I think a lot of us wondered about the quality of the back-up for Collin, but after a couple of slightly nervy games Ross really settled in and did his job well, such that nobody was anxiously counting the days to Collin's return. Like some other posters I think Nolan would have had difficulty dropping Fitzsimons but for his split second aberration against Crawley, and if he's learned the lessons from that then there's no reason to think he won't continue to perform well for us next season if he gets the chance to be No1. Plus, of course, he's at the age where he is only likely to get better the more experience he gets.

Assume that Fitz will be 1st choice and to be fair other than his moment of stupidity he looked solid and his distribution is much better than Collins.
    It really isn't. Both were clearly acting on instructions from the management and there was very little difference in their distribution. I wouldn't be disappointed to see Fitzsimons claim the number one shirt, but my doubt is that he never looked particularly confident when a cross came in.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I wouldn't be disappointed to see Fitzsimons claim the number one shirt, but my doubt is that he never looked particularly confident when a cross came in.
    I thought that was true in his first couple of games, which is understandable, but after that he seemed to take the crosses in pretty well.

I always think the main thing is that defenders need to know when you will come and claim and when you won't. Steve Cherry tended to stay on his line, so his defenders knew what to expect, whereas the likes of Carroll and Hoult used their height to come and claim most things.

What you don't want is a Steve Mildenhall type, who varied in his decision-making and often panicked and flapped when he did come for the ball.

Good old Mildenflap!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast