+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Luck Alex Smith

Good Luck Alex Smith

I see the eh old geez has finally chucked the eh fitba for good and eh means it (at 78) He is eh emigrating to eh Oz

A proper mannie of Scottish fitba. I wish him well. Always likeable. Always speaks well of his time with us. Did us proud in 89/90. Not so much in 91. But allround wasnt a bad dude.

I was fair chuffed when he broke the record of oldest manager in European fitba ever at the start of this season after Huston go jottered at Falkirk. 100% record over two games with a team that was properly murder

His parting words in his final coloimn in the P and J today were in regards to the Dons "it was an honour and a pleasure to manage the club"

Happy eh retirement min

Two cup wins were great with a great side and I hope he enjoys his retirement - but....

He could have gone down as a club legend with a league win in 91.

Shocking bottle job in a big game cost us changing a team that had gone undefeated in something like 12 games prior to that last game at Mordor.

A big game bottle job by a Dons manager - who’d have thought it?

Never forgiven him for that day.......

Yeah not so much in 91. The tinkering will always be unnaceptable

We winna see a cup double again any time soon though
    Last edited by Pacman1903; 29-05-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Yeah not so much in 91. The tinkering will always be unnaceptable

We winna see a cup double again any time soon though
    We have had a lot worse managers since Alex Smith.
    I agree with you Pacman that we will not be seeing a cup double from our team anytime soon. I could about cope with just the 1 cup next season though as my level of ambition is dropping due to the mind boggling happy clapping enthusiasm our club currently possess.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    Two cup wins were great with a great side and I hope he enjoys his retirement - but....

He could have gone down as a club legend with a league win in 91.

Shocking bottle job in a big game cost us changing a team that had gone undefeated in something like 12 games prior to that last game at Mordor.

A big game bottle job by a Dons manager - who’d have thought it?

Never forgiven him for that day.......
    Yeah, that squad was worthy of the league title, no question his negative tactics blew it that day. Always felt he could probably have been a good mentor in certain areas for an inexperienced Willie Miller if things had been handled differently.

We did play some bonnie fitba under Alex Smith and wish him well in his retirement and relocation to Australia...presumably he has family out there

Quote Originally Posted by erchieplum View Post
    We did play some bonnie fitba under Alex Smith and wish him well in his retirement and relocation to Australia...presumably he has family out there
    He has a son (and, I presume grandkids) in Brisbane. I spent an evening watching the final game of the season 2005? (Hivs Huns) watching the game with the two of them. Strange evening wanting the Huns to win (albeit with plenty of injury and controversy) to pip Hibs for third but an enjoyable one all the same. Lots of interesting stories (most of which I can't remember) and he had nothing but good things to say about the Dons.
    Does deserve the flack for changing the team for 'that' game in 91 but it's fine margins if VdV had scored when clean through we might have been praising his tactics yet.
    I wish him ...eh.. well.

Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    Does deserve the flack for changing the team for 'that' game in 91 but it's fine margins if VdV had scored when clean through we might have been praising his tactics yet.
    I wish him ...eh.. well.
    Agreed. Ultimately he will always carry the can for that defeat which is probably a bit unfair but such is life.

It was a sore one but it wasn't a Hearts '86 level bottle job.

I was having a clearout recently and just chucked out the programme for that game. I noticed in the programme notes that one of the linesmen was from Larkhall! We maybe never stood a chance that day anyway due to the good old establishment taking care of each other once again.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Agreed. Ultimately he will always carry the can for that defeat which is probably a bit unfair but such is life.

It was a sore one but it wasn't a Hearts '86 level bottle job.
    Ah come on, at least they won the East of Scotland shield

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast