+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Luck Alex Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Onebobbyconnor View Post
    I was having a clearout recently and just chucked out the programme for that game. I noticed in the programme notes that one of the linesmen was from Larkhall! We maybe never stood a chance that day anyway due to the good old establishment taking care of each other once again.
    Also the referees real passion in life, was pumping boys in St.Vincent St bogs

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Yeah not so much in 91. The tinkering will always be unnaceptable
    Probably the game that totally ruined Michael Watt's career.
    That game aside Smith was a decent manager for us and won more cups than Derek Mcinnes has (just saying like)

Enjoy your retirement Mr Smith and cheers

SF

Aye, wish Smiffy a long and happy retirement. I've vented spleen at him in the past, 91 and beyond.......ach as OBC says, we were never going to be allowed to win that game. "It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" though, but hey ho.
    Met him a few times, right nice bloke and, as has been said, genuine love and affection for the Dandies.
    Hope the Autumn years are long, enjoyable and prosperous fella.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    Aye, wish Smiffy a long and happy retirement. I've vented spleen at him in the past, 91 and beyond.......ach as OBC says, we were never going to be allowed to win that game. "It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" though, but hey ho.
    Met him a few times, right nice bloke and, as has been said, genuine love and affection for the Dandies.
    Hope the Autumn years are long, enjoyable and prosperous fella.
    Kendo, indeed a fine loon, however, disregarding the bias shown towards us in that f@@king match, why the f@@k change team/formation......they were sh1t with only a half fit squad and he f@@king changed things......I’d rather hae a pint wae Jocky Scott than Smiff any day.........that aside, fine loon and speaks fondly of the once michty........fair do’s........aye right......still cannot understand his logic going defensive after we were on fire.

SF

I could never get my head around how a guy who had managed for about 14 years in the bottom tier of Scottish football ended up at Aberdeen. I suppose winning the cup with St Mirren had something to do with it. Local rumours were he had won the pools and was quite happy to stay at Stirling. Went to a few games when he was the manager there. They were my local team for a while although I had no great affiliation with them. He must have had the same tweed jaicket on for feckin years. Boy did he get dogs abuse from the supporters on a very regular basis.

Rumours were it was Jocky Scott who was the main coach between the 2 of them and they fell out big time over Ibrox.

They did sign some great footballers and had us playing very good football in a league which had a very strong hun team.

All the best Alex and give my regards to your niece the next time you see her ! :-)

I'll never forgive him for capitulating that day. If he'd shown half the bottle that the fans did in attending incognito in huns sections of the stands, we'd have won it by half time.

I have mellowed from gas mark 8, though, and hope he has a happy retirement.

He told a great after-dinner story once.

He and Jocky had ben appointed in the summer and on his first day in the job, Willie Miller, tanned fae his holiday, came along the corridor, just in his shorts.

"Hello Willie".

Hello, boss"

"Good holiday?"

"Aye. I believe you've signed a 'keeper?"

"That's right, Willie."

"Dutch, is he?"

"That's right, Willie".

"Does he speak English?"

"Better than you do, Willie",

"Does he understand 'BIDE ON YER FUUCKING LINE'?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Also the referees real passion in life, was pumping boys in St.Vincent St bogs
    Hope you had a word with him then.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    I'll never forgive him for capitulating that day. If he'd shown half the bottle that the fans did in attending incognito in huns sections of the stands, we'd have won it by half time.

I have mellowed from gas mark 8, though, and hope he has a happy retirement.

He told a great after-dinner story once.

He and Jocky had ben appointed in the summer and on his first day in the job, Willie Miller, tanned fae his holiday, came along the corridor, just in his shorts.

"Hello Willie".

Hello, boss"

"Good holiday?"

"Aye. I believe you've signed a 'keeper?"

"That's right, Willie."

"Dutch, is he?"

"That's right, Willie".

"Does he speak English?"

"Better than you do, Willie",

"Does he understand 'BIDE ON YER FUUCKING LINE'?"
    Vintage min,
    We do get milder with age thankfully, however that f@@k up was beyond comprehension all considered.......my mates that got lifted pre/post match showed more passion for our club than ehhhhhhm ever did/has ........x amount of assistance/lager on the way back up the road did ease the pain for that night as the north east huns could not quite grasp that they were not indeed the people as was pointed out to them accordingly.....part of being one of the chosen few who were chosen to support the once michty I suppose.

SF

Totally agree about that capitulation, it's a dark day in our history and he shoulders a lot, the vast majority, of the blame.
    I'm led to believe that was the reason for Jocky's departure.

But I've never had a pint with Jocky, I have had a pint with Smiffy, he's a gent.
    Maybe when he's totting up the us and minus columns of his life, that's a day that'll certainly end up in the minus and one I'm sure he'd do differently if he had his time over.
    But the punchline is, we could've played Van Der Ark in a front three, got Zidane, Maradonna, Socrates and Buffon in on loan for the game, the handshake powers were stopping us winning the league that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Hope you had a word with him then.
    He was lifted twice for it.

The real gossip though was that there was someone else with him there that wasn’t charged. So the story goes anyway. I’ve absolutely no idea if it’s true & there’s no way I’d slander the former player, rangers captain or not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast