+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Flitcroft says he found when he took over at Mansfield

What Flitcroft says he found when he took over at Mansfield

There was no togetherness between the players. Worse, they were in small factions and didn't give a toss about each other. They were vastly overpaid and were only willing to fight for one thing - a bigger wage still. The club was full of dissent and bitter arguments and no-one had any faith in the management.

Mansfield were the bookies favourites for the title but with a disorganised, dishevelled set of players they lacked ability, camaraderie and a willingness to bond in a common cause. Evans brought in an entirely new squad of substandard players who were getting so well rewarded that they lacked heart and soul. When the club needed extra effort in ***** games the players were so attuned to doing as they pleased that that pulling together mentality was lacking.

Warne works on a completely different level, and is approachable and has no favourites. If you don't do it on the field then you take your place on the bench until you train harder and show that you actually care and are willing to do your utmost for your team-mates. Warne's man management and the trusting atmosphere that he engenders means he gets the best out of his players - Evans 's approach is the complete opposite so when title favourites have to earn their corn they either can't or won't change for the better.

8th place and 3 points behind 7th tells its own story. Both managers (Evans and Flitcroft) have big rebuilding jobs on their hands. The Radfords gave Evans and his 'yes' man everything and they repaid them when the going got tough and Posh came calling. Flitcroft intends to offload most of Evans' signings and start again with a whole new philosophy. Evans of course will carry on as previously and just spend and spend and hope for the best. He has behind him three multi millionaires plus Marriott who they value at £7m. Their best player is also valued at about £7.5m but he was smart enough to have written into his contract at the beginning of the season an opt out clause if they didn't get promotion last season.

This is all fine and dandy but what if the manager is a poor judge of a player's ability? What if he doesn't command the loyalty and respect of his squad? Warne will do his very best for us and will take 'failures' like Smith who had 8 previous clubs and make them into better players. I think with his shrewd and intelligent approach Warne will keep us up on peanuts and a few treats. I certainly wouldn't bet on Steve Evans even with all his gold and silver itching to be spent.

Personally I think it's ***** that ***** is once again allowed its place in the English lexicology. What has ***** done to deserve its pariah status among perfectly decent, perfectly respectable followers of RUFC?

The remainees are mature and responsible adults quite capable of facing up to this 5 letter word. Monty, I agree, is another matter altogether. Monty would put all of us on our knees but this is something we all recognise and respect. Monty v *****? It would be a complete mis-match. Do not let it happen.

If it wasn't for the fact Richie Barker, after taking over from Evans at Crawley, Neil Redfearn after taking over from Evans here, and Ben Pringle lifting the lid on what it was really like to work for Steve Evans, all said pretty much the same thing about picking up the pieces of a Steve Evans departure, then I'd say it was Flitcroft making excuses for failing to make the playoffs with arguably the best squad of players in that division, after taking the job when they were in a playoff spot.

We'll never know where Mansfield might have finished had SE not left. I think they would have made the playoffs though. I'm sure Peterborough will be up there next season too. If you want promotion at any cost, hire Steve Evans and back him in the transfer market. Something we did, Crawley did and Leeds didn't do. Mansfield did too and might have reaped the rewards had Peterborough not come calling.

I wouldn't swap what we have now for what we had though.

Fantastic posting Zilzal...extremely interesting and a nice change from ' how are you getting to Wembley threads'

I was called a douche yesterday but dare not object in case I was banned so douche I am.

Mr crabapple sends his finest regards.

Ban Cam's stricken horse!

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Ban Cam's stricken horse!
    You seem to be very keen on banning people for nothing.

I note that you called me a douche....Is that something to do with a shower or is it worse and simply aimed at being provocative?

It was Cam's stricken horse that called you a douche.

Very good and interesting post Zilzal

I think the whole Steve Evans era proves as fans that we only know a fraction of what goes on behind the scenes. I had some of my best days as a Miller under SE and thought there was real togetherness about the team. When in reality everyone resented Evans and his management technique. He left us well and truly up the creek in the Championship. We could afford to spend a large amount of money in league 1 for promotion, but that was a small drop in the pond compared to the money being spent in the Championship and we couldn't afford to keep up. I have spoken to several Rotherham players and staff who we're involved in the promotion team and not one of them has a single nice word to say about Evans.

Would I trade what we have now for what we had back then? No absolutely not. People say that this promotion team hasn't a patch on the last one- well I disagree. We have real togetherness, passion, and love for Rotherham running the entire way through the club. I'd take that any day of the week

love him or loath him Evans gets results and in football that's all that matters.

footballers are like mercanieries there hired to do a job at which ever given club.

When will people learn that he is an awful man,he is a selfish person that plays on the fans like brin who worshipped him why because back to back promotions.Never bothers what he leaves for others to follow to pick up the pieces.One of the most disliked persons in football.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast