+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup latest

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Tahh Sub, but remember Im always a footy fan and a World cup fan before RL.
    Acido --no problem with that.
    I am a football fan who, after going to games for just over 66 years, is becoming more and more disillusioned by the way that the game is going and, as I stated on another thread, I will always watch a televised game of RL in preference to a football match --unless Burnley are playing in the match.

Im a Hull Fc fan in RL Sub, and our 2+ years hold on the Challenge cup is over now after that recent loss at St Helens.
    The best thing they did though was move the game to the summer.

As much as supporting England in each footy tournament excites me, they always end up letting me down and I keep wondering whether I'll bother again next time... and of course, I always do!!. Its the same attitude I have to my club team, those other Burnsley dingles lol.

Acido --it has all been a big let down since I watched them at Wembley in THE game in 1966! It is the hope that kills you! lol

I was minus 5 when we took a big stick to the football world in 1966, and I think the best chance we've had of winning summat since then was back at Wembley 30 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Well said, Acido, however, you have to remember that BT does not have any affinity with a sport which is played by real men who also respect the officials, he prefers the snowflakes who cheat their way through football matches and who have the ultimate disrespect for officials.
    Never mind, he will get his fill of that over the next few weeks, aided and abetted by the wonderful VAR ---thank goodness there is plenty of SL and NRL to maintain our sanity.
    You have to remember Supersub that I was born and bred in EAST Lancashire and we have no Rugby League played here. It was never, ever a topic of conversation at our house. Cricket in summer, Football in winter, end of.

My wife however is a Wigan fan and believe it or not she is shanghaiing me into going to the Horwich Stadium sometime in August. I'm looking forward to seeing if it lives up to all of her hype.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    You have to remember Supersub that I was born and bred in EAST Lancashire and we have no Rugby League played here. It was never, ever a topic of conversation at our house. Cricket in summer, Football in winter, end of.

My wife however is a Wigan fan and believe it or not she is shanghaiing me into going to the Horwich Stadium sometime in August. I'm looking forward to seeing if it lives up to all of her hype.
    I was born and bred in Oswaldtwistle so there was no RL played there as you well know. I was like you in that I played football in winter and cricket in summer, however, we played rugby union at Accy Grammar during one of the winter terms before switching to football in the other term.
    I was always interested in other sports and that his how my interest in RL developed, in spite of playing Union which I found to be too stop/start.

We are all different and that is what makes life interesting. I notice that your wife is taking you for the Cup Semi-Finals and her team will not be playing. Go with an open mind and I hope that you enjoy it --I just hope that they do the same as at Newcastle and allow you the freedom to have a drink whilst watching ---something which the football authorities consider we are not adult enough to do ---a fact which really grips me!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    After his success in the Charity match yesterday Robbie Williams is now set to play in the World Cup ....
    Opening ceremony.
    He’s not playing Party like a Russian though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44437851
    Did raise the middle finger as a gesture of friendliness!
    He knows how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!
    Last edited by oldcolner; 14-06-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Opening ceremony and then we are off at 4. Russia v Saudi.

Russia’s minister for families demands no *** with foreigners - if there are no black children there there won’t be racism- lol
    Putin says it’s ok for Russian women to enjoy foreigners
    After all they get an honour for having children and a medal set if they have 7.

Meanwhile it’s Russia 2 Saudi 0

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    I was like you in that I played football in winter and cricket in summer, however, we played rugby union at Accy Grammar during one of the winter terms before switching to football in the other term.

When I was there you had no choice, I was one of the bigger lads and was told I'd be playing RU, and I did for five bloody years. Some got to play football, but unless Sam Wignall dropped you from his Rugby team, that was it, you played and practiced RU. I didn't think I was that good, but Sam must have been impressed, he never dropped me, so Rugby it was. Never played a game after I left school though, bad enough playing against other schoolboys, I'd no desire to have my lights put out by taking on really big, older lads. Not for me.

I liked the fact that they didn't pratt about with an overlong and boring ceremony today, and what Robbie Williams had to do he did it well enough. And then thankfully the footy began, and the nerves are slowly kicking in now that its all official and its the countdown to our match on Monday.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)