+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup latest

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    When I was there you had no choice, I was one of the bigger lads and was told I'd be playing RU, and I did for five bloody years. Some got to play football, but unless Sam Wignall dropped you from his Rugby team, that was it, you played and practiced RU. I didn't think I was that good, but Sam must have been impressed, he never dropped me, so Rugby it was. Never played a game after I left school though, bad enough playing against other schoolboys, I'd no desire to have my lights put out by taking on really big, older lads. Not for me.
    sinkov-- they only started the rugby in 1957 or 58 from memory and it was Sam Wignall that introduced it, As I said, we played rugby union for one winter term and then football in the other term. I played scrum half for the school and took a few hammerings over the time but I always did my best and Sam appreciated that, although I never thought that it was a brilliant game.
    I remember playing a team in the Wigan area and when we arrived they said they only played RL so we had to drop two players and got absolutely hammered and that was probably when I realised that it was a much better, free flowing game.
    Like you, I never played rugby again after leaving school but I played football at semi-professional level when I was in the RAF for 23 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    sinkov-- they only started the rugby in 1957 or 58 from memory and it was Sam Wignall that introduced it, As I said, we played rugby union for one winter term and then football in the other term. I played scrum half for the school and took a few hammerings over the time but I always did my best and Sam appreciated that, although I never thought that it was a brilliant game.
    I remember playing a team in the Wigan area and when we arrived they said they only played RL so we had to drop two players and got absolutely hammered and that was probably when I realised that it was a much better, free flowing game.
    Like you, I never played rugby again after leaving school but I played football at semi-professional level when I was in the RAF for 23 years.
    Seems I got my timing wrong Supersub, or my mum and dad did, I arrived there in 57 so walked in right at start of Sam's Rugby era. I think I know the Wigan team you refer to, we went to the Wigan area, I think just the once, and played this lot we were told played RU just as a bit of a change from their normal RL games. They were good, they gave us a right pasting, both physically and on the scoreboard. If they didn't play very often, or even not at all, it didn't show.
    Last edited by sinkov; 15-06-2018 at 06:49 AM.

It’s looking like Salah will play for Egypt today against Uruguay at 1.30

Seven Sporting Lisbon players have terminated their contracts with the club four in the squad to play Spain whose manager was sacked two days ago at 5.30
    50 fans Were involved in an attack, in which Dutch forward Dost suffered a head injury, that happened at Sporting's training base, after they missed out on a Champions League place on the final day of the league season (and five days before they lost the Portuguese Cup final.)

Morocco and Iran play at 4.00.

BBC have a programme on Managing England: The Impossible Job, BBC 2, 9pm, Sunday 17 June
    Sam seems to feel he should still be managing us!

I've decided to watch the lot as usual!

It's footie time! Father-in-law bringing the ale, us supplying the scran!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Me too BT, Olympics, Test Matches, Grand Prix, Tennis Opens, Golf Majors, all on the box, all straight over my head, no interest any more, but the World Cup, I'll watch the lot.

It's bloody football innit ? Nothing we can do, it reminds me of an old New York Yankee baseball player's quote "You spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." I know what he means.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

It's footie time! Father-in-law bringing the ale, us supplying the scran!
    My earlier error
    It’s a 7pm kick off in the Iberian Derby. Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Seems I got my timing wrong Supersub, or my mum and dad did, I arrived there in 57 so walked in right at start of Sam's Rugby era. I think I know the Wigan team you refer to, we went to the Wigan area, I think just the once, and played this lot we were told played RU just as a bit of a change from their normal RL games. They were good, they gave us a right pasting, both physically and on the scoreboard. If they didn't play very often, or even not at all, it didn't show.
    I arrived in 1957 too so we were probably playing in the same team!!

Morocco and Iran play at 4.00.

Could be interesting and get scrappy and tempers flair, its a Sunni - Shia game!

Oh! Goodie!

Salah doesn’t play as Egypt get robbed 0-1 by Uruguay in the last minute with Suarez missing sitters.

It does look sunny in St Petersburg and it is 0-0 at halftime. It’s not sheer magic yet - or should it be shear magic?

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)