+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup latest

Burnley winger Jóhann Berg Gudmundsson remains doubtful for Iceland's second Group D match of the 2018 World Cup against Nigeria on Friday, June 22.

According to Iceland assistant manager Helgi Kolvišsson, it is uncertain whether he can count on Gudmundsson after he suffered a calf injury in their 1-1 draw with Argentina last weekend.

''Joe is bad. If he is not ready then a man comes in his place. This is something we make a final decision tomorrow, "
    Kolvišsson said at Wednesday morning's press conference.

"This will be close. It is completely clear. We hope the best and do everything we can do. "

Good luck Joe!

Why do the VAR referees need to be in full kit to sit at a TV monitor they are not even in the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by whittyclaretandblue View Post
    Why do the VAR referees need to be in full kit to sit at a TV monitor they are not even in the stadium.
    Because they have been instructed to do so by their bosses. Do as you are told and it usually will prolong your career. MInd you, I have been unable to discover whether or not they are equipped with their whistles and cards!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Because they have been instructed to do so by their bosses. Do as you are told and it usually will prolong your career. MInd you, I have been unable to discover whether or not they are equipped with their whistles and cards!
    That just kicks the can down the road Ss, why then have their bosses told them to be in full combat gear when they're hundreds of miles from the action ? I think I know the answer actually, because the people running this farcical VAR circus are fruitcakes and morons, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    That just kicks the can down the road Ss, why then have their bosses told them to be in full combat gear when they're hundreds of miles from the action ? I think I know the answer actually, because the people running this farcical VAR circus are fruitcakes and morons, that's why.
    As seen in FourFourTwo magazine:-

According to a certain Pierluigi Collina, who chairs FIFA's Referees Committee, and suggests the officials' stress levels justify them wearing the full kit.

"It’s because they sweat like they do on the pitch," the 58-year-old Italian told reporters.

"It’s not like watching a game on the couch while drinking coffee. It’s very stressful, so they can’t be dressed like a clerk."

Another rule tweak which has sparked lively debate is the committee's decision for referees not to make tight offside calls so that VAR can effectively override them.

Collina added: "If you see some assistant referee not raising the flag, it’s not because he’s making mistakes. It’s because he’s respected the instruction to keep the flag down.

"They were told to keep the flag down when there is a tight offside incident and there could be a very promising attack or a goalscoring opportunity because, if the assistant referee raises the flag, then everything is finished."

If Morocco had had a decent striker they would have walked the game against Portugal. Needless to say, the Potuguese superstar sealed the result very early on in the game whilst he and a number of his team mates continued with quite a lot of play acting in an effort to get Moroccan players booked. Where is VAR when you want it? It certainly hasn't had any effect on some of the divers!

FIFA need to clearly define, "Clear and obvious".

My wife laughed out loud for a full five minutes when she saw the Men from Vars dressed up in full referees' kits.

It still tickles her now, but then she asked with ten TV screens to look at, how could they miss the two Kane penaltes?

I honestly had no answer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    FIFA need to clearly define, "Clear and obvious".

My wife laughed out loud for a full five minutes when she saw the Men from Vars dressed up in full referees' kits.

It still tickles her now, but then she asked with ten TV screens to look at, how could they miss the two Kane penaltes?

I honestly had no answer.
    Perhaps this is the problem, they dress like refs, so they act like refs, and miss the bleedin obvious. Get 'em dressed up like ordinary fans and they might manage to see what's actually going on.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Perhaps this is the problem, they dress like refs, so they act like refs, and miss the bleedin obvious. Get 'em dressed up like ordinary fans and they might manage to see what's actually going on.
    You mean like the ordinary fans who think that you can't have a free kick in your own half if someone is deemed offside? lol

BT --there was so much pushing and holding going on at the corners that, just like the PL every week, it is impossible to sort out just who has done what without guessing ----officials should not guess.

They did not need to guess, 56 bleeding cameras captured every wrestling hold.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)