+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Derby Manager is...

Quote Originally Posted by boltonblade View Post
    I don't mind Frank Lampard at all. TOP player and seems humble. I wish him well except when they play us. Would not wish failure upon him. Gerrard on the other hand. Cant stand him.
    It's not about your petty likes and dislikes of players, it's about everyone being given a fair crack of the whip. Granted, Frank Lampard has started his coaching badges (he's not got the Pro licence yet mind, although that didn't stop Gareth Southgate being given the Premiership job at Middlesbrough) but he has absolutely no experience of management, just like Gerrard.

Other managers have either had to start in the lower leagues (Tufty, Rowett) or have been thrust into the management of a club due to being a warm body (Darren Moore). I'm a firm believer in the right man for the right job, and wouldn't want someone to get promotion or a new job just purely based on time served (you end up with the usual merry go-round of has-been managers continually getting new jobs that way), but people like Lampard and Gerrard getting these jobs at big clubs is just ludicrous. Same with the likes of Giggs thinking he should have been given the Manchester United job. What exactly have they done to prove they deserve it?

Obviously, given my family ties I hope that Derby do well (albeit not as well as us), but I think it's a massive and stupid gamble, much like the one KK took when he gave Robson the job (and yes, I'm aware that Robson was already a proven failure, despite keeping West Brom up, whereas Lampard is more of an unknown quantity). The weight of expectation on that club is massive, and despite Morris saying that there's no objective of promotion this year, that won't wash with the 20 odd thousand season ticket holders who've ploughed their money into the club only for Morris to go for the glamour signing.

I don't think their under any more pressure than us.

They'll be under pressure if it goes wrong because they have a biggish budget

We'll be under pressure if it goes wrong because we haven't

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Frank Lampard.

Oh boy...
    Cant blame you for not adding this news to the Derby County thread,that turned into a McLiar thread.

He was at the playoff final Coventry v Exeter , bet he goes for Mcnulty

I think it's a great move by Derby because we all know being a decent player is the key to top management success,
    Weir
    Robson
    Gascoigne
    Ince
    Barnes
    Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyEdge View Post
    I think it's a great move by Derby because we all know being a decent player is the key to top management success,
    Weir
    Robson
    Gascoigne
    Ince
    Barnes
    Shearer
    Martin Peters

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Martin Peters
    We'd have been better with Mary Peters, or Lenny Peters for that matter...

Do we think ZZ bucked this particualr trend or was he just lucky to be in charge of REAL MADRID? UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    Do we think ZZ bucked this particualr trend or was he just lucky to be in charge of REAL MADRID? UTCB
    Bit of both I would say,however winning the European Cup 3 times on the trot,is one hell of an achievement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast