+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What would you like Rafa to do next season

What would you like Rafa to do next season

Me I would like it if we had a more positive approach and build the side around a player
    Most sides do this

I currently would build this around shelvey

This would make us more attacking

To do this he would need to bring in a striker or keep mitro and a fox in the box type scorer

He would also need a cante type player to defend the wholes left when shelvey goes looking for the ball

When shelvey was played to his talents last season the team played well

And we looked good

When you ask him to play a defensive roll we looked and were gash

Number one priority is two new strikers followed by a LW-hopefully Kenedy (probably on loan)

I agree about a Kante-type player too. Diame was outstanding in the second half of the season but we need another option because I don't think we can rely on that happening again (doesn't mean he won't, though)

What is key is that Rafa is given enough money-not just what he brings in from selling players-and is allowed to spend it how he wants.

As for style, again, if Rafa is allowed to do his job, I think we'll see the style of footy we saw after January. I agree, a lot of what we saw before Xmas was shocking but once the extra pieces of the jigsaw were added it was much easier to see what Rafa was trying to do and I really enjoyed watching us.

I'd like Rafa to continue what he achieved last season but to be given the players he wants..

I wouldn't mind if he bought 2 defenders and a defensive midfielder as long as they were the players he wanted and no one interfered with his transfers..

To achieve 10th last season with what was a very good championship team / poor premier league team would have been worthy of manager of the year but to me that's Sean Dyche

I just want Rafa to be in charge of what he wants and allowed to do so

We’ve got the keeper we needed, and ideally a new right back and centre half to really push Lascelles and Le Jeune, as has been said Kante type midfielder, (hopefully) Kenedy and 2 x strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Number one priority is two new strikers followed by a LW-hopefully Kenedy (probably on loan)

I agree about a Kante-type player too. Diame was outstanding in the second half of the season but we need another option because I don't think we can rely on that happening again (doesn't mean he won't, though)

What is key is that Rafa is given enough money-not just what he brings in from selling players-and is allowed to spend it how he wants.

As for style, again, if Rafa is allowed to do his job, I think we'll see the style of footy we saw after January. I agree, a lot of what we saw before Xmas was shocking but once the extra pieces of the jigsaw were added it was much easier to see what Rafa was trying to do and I really enjoyed watching us.
    It wasn't really shocking though as we all knew the players weren't good enough. Once we added some quality - it only took a decent GK and a winger - we looked great. But agree Zip, if Rafa is allowed to get on with it, I think he'll give us some good footy.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)