+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jon Stead

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Stead has never been prolific
    I would think most defenders would be disappointed scoring just 4 goals in a season

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    He was passed his best the season before and we should have let him go to America.
    I actually agree that we should have let him go, but only if we had someone better in the squad! he is a trier & you cannot blame him for the service he received last season, he could well be very useful next season as a stand in or impact sub if we are chasing games.

Though I feel Stead is past his best I do think he has given his all, being the target man when your not a target man is a thankless job. But his worth can’t be just measured in goals.

He was fouled numerous times around the area resulting in set pieces, no doubt some resulting in goals. He held back the Coventry right back from rushing toward Grant, giving him the time to score, for the opening goal in the playoffs.

He contributed 9 assists this season joint fourth highest in the league and only behind Akinfenwa, Taylor and mcconville.

Think a full season took its toll on his aging body but he gave 100% and I think he still has something to offer the club. Bear in mind that his FA cup goals probably paid score one of his replacements.…

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    I would think most defenders would be disappointed scoring just 4 goals in a season
    Good job he scored more than 3x that then. Why people are pretending his other goals don't count I'm not sure, guess you need to find some way to discount him.

Stead's worked his b*llocks off for Notts whether he's been scoring 20 a season or 14, 14 and 13 as he has done over the past 3 years. He also got 9 assists last season so contributed to 22 of our goals.

If you take his assists in to account in the previous 3 years he's contributed 23, 19 and 22 goals (64 total)

Over the same period;
    Hemmings - 73 with 33 in Scotland and 12 in cup games in 16/17
    Dennis - 59, with a year in the conference and one in League 1

With the signing of two proven goal scorers at prime ages in their careers, I'm much more comfortable about Jon Stead staying now. It looks as though Hemmings and Dennis (and perhaps another striker too, who knows?) will take the strain and Stead can provide cover and inspiration from the bench. Indeed, a reduced amount of game time may well improve his impact and goal output when he does play. There's no doubting his ability or effort, but the guy was simply looking tired and lacked a spark in the second half of the season. The demands on him were too great for someone in their mid-thirties.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Good job he scored more than 3x that then. Why people are pretending his other goals don't count I'm not sure, guess you need to find some way to discount him.

Stead's worked his b*llocks off for Notts whether he's been scoring 20 a season or 14, 14 and 13 as he has done over the past 3 years. He also got 9 assists last season so contributed to 22 of our goals.

If you take his assists in to account in the previous 3 years he's contributed 23, 19 and 22 goals (64 total)

Over the same period;
    Hemmings - 73 with 33 in Scotland and 12 in cup games in 16/17
    Dennis - 59, with a year in the conference and one in League 1
    No one is doubting his effort and he has been good in the past but of late he has been largely ineffective.

The 4 goals is how many he scored in open play in 45 league matches

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    No one is doubting his effort and he has been good in the past but of late he has been largely ineffective.

The 4 goals is how many he scored in open play in 45 league matches
    I understand he scored 4 from open play in league matches but a goal is a goal, they all count the same unless I missed some rule changes, it's like saying Forte only scored 3 because the others were with his right foot or head or something, completely pointless.

Of the 4 Cup goals which seem to be being dismissed, 1 was against a Premiership team, 1 against a Championship team and 1 was against a League One team, it's not like he hit all 4 against Oxford City so putting them on a lesser standing than his league goals is completely pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    I understand he scored 4 from open play in league matches but a goal is a goal, they all count the same unless I missed some rule changes, it's like saying Forte only scored 3 because the others were with his right foot or head or something, completely pointless.

Of the 4 Cup goals which seem to be being dismissed, 1 was against a Premiership team, 1 against a Championship team and 1 was against a League One team, it's not like he hit all 4 against Oxford City so putting them on a lesser standing than his league goals is completely pointless.
    Sorry Jon 😂

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12