+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T - Greatest Ever

Quote Originally Posted by JuanShoe View Post
    less physically demanding .
    That's the question isn't it? What's the definition of less physically demanding? If you mean by that not getting kicked to absolute phuck whilst getting zero protection from the referee then I guess you can say it was less physically demanding. As we know though, that was NOT the case in Maradona's era. I would say it was THE most physically demanding era in football history - the 70s and 80s were BRUTAL. I personally think Messi would have been destroyed by the like of Claudio Gentile.Conversely, I reckon Christiano would have fared better in that era.

That World Cup match the Battle of Santiago in 1962. That was brutal beyond anything that could be imagined now!

Probably right though that in 80s players were still going out to deliberately break legs and getting away with it.

Might get away with a few things now but thankfully refs can and do step in

Likes of Best and Law had to dance round the brutal challenges all match

Modern era is the best but very different to football 50 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    That's the question isn't it? What's the definition of less physically demanding? If you mean by that not getting kicked to absolute phuck whilst getting zero protection from the referee then I guess you can say it was less physically demanding. As we know though, that was NOT the case in Maradona's era. I would say it was THE most physically demanding era in football history - the 70s and 80s were BRUTAL. I personally think Messi would have been destroyed by the like of Claudio Gentile.Conversely, I reckon Christiano would have fared better in that era.
    Physically demanding refers to the way the game is played not reffed. Players run faster and for longer. They are physically stronger, fitter and sharper than previous eras. You simply would never get a player of Maradona's physical capabilities succeeding at the highest level anymore.

Also find it curious as to why you think Messi would struggle (a player who gets up time after time having been kicked and gets on with the game) and Ronaldo (who rolls round the floor and then goes into the cream puff anytime anybody challenges him) would succeed. But as previously said, it is impossible to compare players from different eras with any accuracy.

The criteria I apply for greatest ever is when you look at a particular player and really examine if they made such an inherent difference that elevated an average team to greatness. I look at Pele and the Brazil team of 1970 and wonder would that team have still won the World Cup without him? Quite possibly. Messi plays in/has played in possibly the greatest Club side in history. Would Barca have still won a lot without him? Quite probably, yes. Messi has benefited massively by playing alongside the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Suarez, Neymar etc etc.

However, when it comes to Maradona, look at the sides he played in. Would Napoli have won Serie A titles without him? No. Would Argentina have won the World Cup without him? No. What allowed these teams to achieve greatness? Maradona.

I am not for one minute saying that Messi is not an incredible football player, of course not. But at this point, sorry, I don't think he comes close to Maradona. Having said that, if Messi carries what looks like a currently average Argie team to the World Cup this year then, yes, things may need to be re-examined.

For me George Best is the greatest natural talent ever seen. Sadly the demons took over.
    I believe Marco van Basten would have surpassed them all but for injuries.

Hard to disagree with the the usuals. Eusabio should be mentioned too.

For me, Zidane. Majestic.

Original Ronaldo got me at the right time too. 13/14 years old discovering Spanish football. 34 goals in 37 games & seeing a powerhouse control the ball at a sprint like nothing I’ve saw before or since.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi debate results in folk dissing the other and idolising one.

They are both freaks of nature, the likes of will never be seen again for a long time. Think only Pele from the past comes close. We should just be grateful been able to witness them both over the past decade.

Prior to them, Brazilian Ronaldo and Zidane were both unreal and won major international honours.

Messi not winning World Cup will dent his status as best ever should it remain that way.

No mention of the actually best player there's ever been? Maradona. 🙂 As an aside I wore my Denmark top from Mexico 86 yesterday. Biggest miracle? It still fits. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    No mention of the actually best player there's ever been? Maradona. 🙂 As an aside I wore my Denmark top from Mexico 86 yesterday. Biggest miracle? It still fits. 😂
    Apart from all the mentions of him?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)