+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would you respect Tony Stewart more if...

would you respect Tony Stewart more if...

instead of all the "shopping at Harrods" talk and telling us all we had money to spend he said this:

"Look, let me level with you, we will have the smallest budget in the championship, and we can't afford big transfer fees.We will probably have to use the loan market, and buy either unknown players from the lower leagues and maybe take a few risks on those with a point to prove. Having said that we are going to give it a right bloody go this season and we are going to feyt and scrap for every point. so now you know where we stand, so quit bellyaching and do your bit and roar us on this season"

Yes I would because we all know that unfortunately this is the truth.

We are a small fish in a big pond and the amount of money some clubs are willing to overspend chasing the Premiership dream is frightening.

As Millers we love a team of scrappers who ruffle up supposedly more illustrious opponents and come away with the spoils.

That's why we loved Ronnie Moore's battlers so much they got stuck in and at times punched above their weight.

I'll take us competing, having a reight go at it and finishing 4th bottom before a ball is kicked next season.

We fortunately now have hindsight, and being a wonderful thing, I think he's a lot more realistic with where we sit in the footballing pyramid. Investing in the staff is one step forward, being frugal in the market with quality loan signings could see us survive. This strategy paid off this season, however facing yet more teams with parachute payments, higher than ever expectations and massive budgets, I think our team spirit is crucial. Being favourites to get relegated is fine with me; having the smallest budget in the league is fine with me, but giving 100% is expected from me, regardless of the names playing for us or how much they're on.

I bumped into Tony after the Wembley match and he simply said "bring it on". For me, the respect has always been there for what he's done for our club, but I think he needs to let Paul Warne do the talking to the media and TS give his support in the background, that for me is where more respect will come.

So, in short, yes!

UTM

The man has my utmost respect because there would probably be no RUFC without him and we certainly would not be playing in the Championship and have a stadium that is the envy of many. Okay, so he used to call PW Warnes when interviewed, he sacked Ronnie on impulse, he has appointed 2 managers who proved to be useless, and he is prone to the comment about being a Yorkshireman and therefore careful with his money. He is after all a human being and therefore prone to mistakes.

But he is an enthusiast and actions speak louder than words. At this moment in time the Millers are in a very good place. I would like to see the 7-8 thousand become 9-10 thousand every week at NYS and then possibly the club will be able to grow into an established Championship club. NYS may even be extended. In terms of respect , then I would say that I would certainly respect the additional 6k who went to Wembley if 40% got season tickets. Not going to happen though is it?

Quote Originally Posted by sCORaFU View Post
    . Okay, so he used to call PW Warnes when interviewed
    I hold myself partly responsible for that. When somebody put on Millersmad lookalike photos of Neil Redfearn and Joe Cocker, I wrote " let's hope he gets us up where we belong", a reference to the hit single by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes. Tony obviously read that and three managers later - "Warnes"
    Last edited by mikemiller; 02-06-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Comments said 4 year ago. Nowt like holding a grudge

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    I hold myself partly responsible for that. When somebody put on Millersmad lookalike photos of Neil Redfearn and Joe Cocker, I wrote " let's hope he gets us up where we belong", a reference to the hit single by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes. Tony obviously read that and three managers later - "Warnes"
    Brilliant mi owd cocker!

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Comments said 4 year ago. Nowt like holding a grudge
    T'was after Jackett went and it wasn't meant as a grudge comment. it was just to say that like all human beings he is fallible. Best chairman I have known as a Miller by miles and its about time some respected him more.

Yes

a Don’t care what the bloke says, be better if we did cherry pick up and coming players from league one & two instead of wasting a wage on has been s who are only out to milk a wage.

Long live big T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast