+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Marvin Johnson

Marvin Johnson

Asked boro if we can have him on loan. Ex oxford winger. Don’t know much about him.

Great singer, "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose" and "Take Some Time Out For Love". N/S classics.

Source?

He can play left wing back. Tall, mobile, good going forward and a powerful left foot. Versatile, has even played up front.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    Great singer, "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose" and "Take Some Time Out For Love". N/S classics.
    Err, Rose has never been NS and TSTOFL was by the Isleys.

Both were played in clubs long before the term Northern Soul was coined.

Freeman just right for the LWB

was amongst the cream of the lower leagues when they picked him up, boatloads of assists and a fair few goals if i remember rightly, but seems to have struggled to kick on

In my estimation both are N/S. Mixed TSTOFL with "I Miss You Baby"
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    Err, Rose has never been NS and TSTOFL was by the Isleys.

Both were played in clubs long before the term Northern Soul was coined.

johnson was signed to tamla which became tamla motown . is song rose for my rose is motown/soul. an interesting fact is marvin gay was a drummer with Anna records a forerunner to tamla motown,who then signed him to become a solo artist.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    In my estimation both are N/S. Mixed TSTOFL with "I Miss You Baby"
    I miss you Baby is a great record. We'll have to disagree about "Rose" but in all my years I've never heard it played at a Northern event. I'd call it Club soul to be honest. It's my favourite MJ song.

He recorded "Come to me" on the initial Tamla imprint in 1959. It was a local Detroit label at the time and the record was picked up for national release by United Artists who he stayed with until 1965 when he signed for Motown. He recorded on the Gordy label (Tamla Motown in the U.K. Tamla and Motown were seperate labels in the US ) and "Rose" was issued in 1968 both here and in the States.