+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Millers v local teams - closing the gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Barnsley have a bigger fanbase than us because historically their townsfolk showed more interest in its football team than ours did. They have the same teams around them that we have so we can't use that as an excuse.
    You can have your opinion mate but i dont believe it..i live (and always have done) a 5 minute max drive from millmoor, 7 minutes from nys, 7 minutes from winkobank, 5 minutes from thorpe hesley..thorpe hesley is full of you know who's..an overflow of chapeltown..full of you know who's winkobanks in sheffield anyway, and just over the top is the sty..we have sheffield families getting out of the city for favourable rates in rotherham who have kids and grandkids etc..wether they supported wednesday or united..on an aerial view i have you wouldnt believe how close millmoor bramall lane and hillsbro look..of course, barnsley's got them as well..but we're poisoned with em..

We do enjoy significant support from over the border in west yorkshire .

Pontefract , Wakefield , Castleford , Featherstone , Normanton and it reaches inside the Huddersfield border at Clayton West , Denby Dale and Skelmanthorpe .

In South Yorkshire Goldthorpe is predominately BFC and Wath has very good support within it for the club .

We reach out to a wider catchment area where as yourselves it's quite limited because of the two Sheffield clubs .

Down to pure geography in my opinion and nothing more than that .

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    I'm surprised Barnsley are so much higher than us I remember them having some piss poor seasons in the lower divisions in the 60s and 70s and always thought we were a bigger club than them as I stood on that slag heap behind the goal at Oakwell.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/o...ley/index.html

He's actually right , the old away wasn't fully terraced until 1979 fire .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Like many other rotherham supporters, ive been on that end many times..like millmoor, it had tradition..i remember the bump in the six yard box in the away end..one game, in around 69 or maybe 70, my teacher gave me and my classmate tickets for oakwell as he played right wing for barnsley..think it was a draw not sure..the one that stands out for me though is the 3-0 win for barnsley with the rotherham dustbinman colin walker getting i think a couple..to think some of their lot turned up in pit helmets sounds crazy now...

Quote Originally Posted by millavanilla View Post
    Like many other rotherham supporters, ive been on that end many times..like millmoor, it had tradition..i remember the bump in the six yard box in the away end..one game, in around 69 or maybe 70, my teacher gave me and my classmate tickets for oakwell as he played right wing for barnsley..think it was a draw not sure..the one that stands out for me though is the 3-0 win for barnsley with the rotherham dustbinman colin walker getting i think a couple..to think some of their lot turned up in pit helmets sounds crazy now...
    Bob Earnshaw vanilla was your teacher I believe .

No I thought that was the slag heap he was on about.

Bob Earnshaw vanilla was your teacher I believe .
    Thats right animal, not overly skilled, but like lightening on a run..a good p.e.teacher too..hes only just finished teaching believe it or not..the other footballing teacher at kimmy school was roy massey who played some games for the millers (off hand dont know how many )(i remember him chipping alan hodgkinson the sheff utd goalie in the tivoli end in the county cup ..i think we won 1-0 ?

Quote Originally Posted by millavanilla View Post
    .the other footballing teacher at kimmy school was roy massey who played some games for the millers (off hand dont know how many )(i remember him chipping alan hodgkinson the sheff utd goalie in the tivoli end in the county cup ..i think we won 1-0 ?
    Good post Galant and yes it does put things in perspective.
    Long may it last, welcome back to the Championship.

I remember Roy Massey from the mid- 60's.
    Didn't play too many games for us from what I remember.
    He did go on to have a good career as a coach and finally ended up at Arsenal.
    There's a YouTube clip I watched a short while ago where he was talking about Jack Wilshere and Rio Ferdinand as youngsters.

That away end became a seated terrace when they reached the premier league, and when they knocked it down to build the new stand, the seats from the old terrace ended up in the railway end at Millmoor. And they're still there 😱

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12