+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic transfer targets .....

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Ahhh but you can only spend what you earn saxo
    We have billionaires as owners but it counts for nothing in the eyes of financial fair play.
    Wolves?

Latest link is a league of Ireland forward, Burke..

Alarm bells ringing loud!

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Latest link is a league of Ireland forward, Burke..

Alarm bells ringing loud!

I recall having a look at BRFC's 12 months ago (as it was very very quiet on here) and I saw this exact comment about Dack. People where asking why we where spending £750k on a player from Gillingham who nobody had every heard of. 12 months later he picked up the best player in the league trophy, and pretty much single handedly won us promotion.
    Nobody had heard of Bell.
    Nobody had heard of Fleetwood or Jamie Vardy before Leicester City paid a £1m to take him from the non league to the Championship. I'll bet my life their fans where asking the same question then? Jamie who??

The only one question you need to ponder is this .....do you trust Mowbray?
    We will be looking at this lad for a reason.

Don't know about that robin.. Wigan have money to spend after their takeover.

Putting previous 'mistakes' behind us all now, its worth considering how cash rich the Venkys actually are.
    In the Prem, I think only Man City are cash richer than us. The Venkys group are one of the richest on the planet. They are as a family billionaires several times over. We as a club are Premier League. Brockhall is Prem standard. Ewood is Prem standard. Our training facilities are Prem standard. Our budget is much bigger than Wigans. Our set up as a whole is far bigger. We can attract top players, Wigan cant. We are a much bigger club.
    Armstrong has no connection with Wigan. He does with Rovers. He would want to be part of the best team spirit he's ever been involved with (in his own words) and he performs his best for Mowbray.

Wigan cant outspend us, cant offer him better wages than us. Their facilities are simply nowhere near as good as ours. We get bigger crowds, we are a bigger club. In no way, would they be a more attractive offer than at Rovers. But he is not worth £3m. If Wigan spend that on him, they are stupid.

Saxo you are quite correct in highlighting wolves
    They along with quite a few others have escaped punishment sadly we only need to spend a pound over and we are punished
    Will Wigan take a chance or head back to league 1?we seem content with getting our house in order which is fair enough but is that good enough for the chunk of our support who want instant success?

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    I recall having a look at BRFC's 12 months ago (as it was very very quiet on here) and I saw this exact comment about Dack. People where asking why we where spending £750k on a player from Gillingham who nobody had every heard of. 12 months later he picked up the best player in the league trophy, and pretty much single handedly won us promotion.
    Nobody had heard of Bell.
    Nobody had heard of Fleetwood or Jamie Vardy before Leicester City paid a £1m to take him from the non league to the Championship. I'll bet my life their fans where asking the same question then? Jamie who??

The only one question you need to ponder is this .....do you trust Mowbray?
    We will be looking at this lad for a reason.
    Not a crit of TM.. I do trust him.. But these targets(if true) are definitely in the bargain basement category.. If its reflecting the budget he has to work with, I think we can forget Armstrong signing here ..

Not a crit of TM.. I do trust him.. But these targets(if true) are definitely in the bargain basement category.. If its reflecting the budget he has to work with, I think we can forget Armstrong signing here ..

I think over the next month we will know alot more. At this point everything is merely speculation.
    Mowbray & Waggot went to India with a plan, of which they received a positive response (by Venky's).
    Meaning they would get full financial backing. Or they (certainly Mowbray) would leave. Which, to be fair he's already confirmed. The budget was discussed, the tying down (of our key players) on improved terms on long term deals. A list of targets, loan players & permants. And the release & transfer of certain players. All this, with FFP in mind.
    They do not want to throw £25-30m in one go at this. It would be complete madnes. And no gurantee we would be promoted. Plus it would destroy the current dressing room etc. Another thing to consider, at this point we have sold just 2 and a half thousand season tickets. Are the fans really demanding this & that? Doesn't look like it to me, and mote importantly the owners. We do not generate nearly enough as a club, with our general overheads. And without support, in no way can we simply expect huge investment. We played in Div 1 last season. People need to calm down.
    No, TM wants a steady approach, stabilise this next season (finish mid table or above) then push on next.
    As for a type of player? If we went for Newton (from Div 2 Stevenage) that doesn't mean we won't be in for a player for £2m. We will spend money in the necessary because position. Bell was signed in Jan from Fleetwood for £500k because he became available. Signed for the future. He fits into the 23-27 year old lower division type TM said he wants. And Championship quality. Which he will sign once he's back from holiday.

As for Armstrong, if we can get him cheap for £1m then I think we are the head of that queue. He isn't worth much more.
    Our budget last season was bigger than Wigan. It will be again next season.
    Last edited by champs95; 04-06-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Early days saxo a couple more weeks and we will know a little more
    Mowbray apparently had irons in the fire before the meeting so these players no matter how bargain basement they might seem they might be just a cog in the machine
    I am still confident we will see some good championship players coming in and some unproven
    In Mowbray we trust.

Anyone heard any news on the Chapman front?

I’m none too sure why there is this worry why we are not looking like matching this, that or any other club really.
    That’s really got us into the mess we got into in the first place.

Today’s football circus is IMO a mess all through simply due to £££’s !
    I just do not watch top flight footie at all , I have no interest in this ‘joke’ of a Russian World Cup event.
    I have no interest whatsoever in Sterling’s latest faux pa / escapade.

I do have an affinity for my home town club , that’s it.
    All of the above, and worldly events determine where we do and will sit in the scheme of things. But we have a good man at the helm, and that gives me confidence. Throwing money about is not what I see as a good way to manage a club. Take a look at them down the M65, they seem to be doin ok 😉

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)