+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your World Cup Memories

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    brilliant that Animal. Classic youthful exuberance. Set off with good intentions but the road to hell was paved with good intentions weren't it
    Pass , my mam got the frying pan on when I eventually got home , she saw how much weight I'd lost and in them days i'd nowt to lose .

Beer and more beer and a few chips for over a week .

We all had the brit sunburn going on to boot , met loads of lads from other clubs who were all in the same boat , nobody had a cracker in those days .

What the hell did we know about world cups in 82 ? , nobody had been to one that we knew , not like now .

Pioneers mate

:-) :-) :-)

Getting up at daft o'clock and going to the pub to watch England v Brazil in 2002 .

Our local was packed at 7 in the morning and everyone was on it .

Feckin hell !!!

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Getting up at daft o'clock and going to the pub to watch England v Brazil in 2002 . Our local was packed at 7 in the morning and everyone was on it . Feckin hell !!!
    Ohh yes I was into all that stuff Animal in '02, and Ive mentioned this on another thread as well tonight lol.
    It was a Friday morning & lunchtime when we beat the Argies 1-0 in the group game, thanks to Becks of all people scoring the pen.
    Our local pub was in absolute chaos and I felt so proud (and probably pi*ssed as well) that day to be an England fan.
    Its why Im so looking forward to these upcoming England matches again in the locals, you can't beat it if your a genuine fan. And whether they/England keep on letting me down etc., I will still be there again every two years if we qualify.
    Last edited by Acido; 02-06-2018 at 10:09 PM.

When Croatia ripped the German's a new one in the 98 quarter final to the tune of 3-0 .

Davor Suker and Boban were top notch that night .

Doesn't happen often but it's always good for the soul when you see the German's outclassed at a tournament .

Belgium beating the impressive Soviet Union team 4-3 in '86, that is one of my alltime favourite matches. And Italy beating the typically overrated Brazil team 3-2 in '82, thanks to Paolo Rossi's hat-trick.
    Costa Rica beating the jolly Scotch in '90, and even Iran's extremely political and controversial win against America in '98.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Belgium beating the impressive Soviet Union team 4-3 in '86, that is one of my alltime favourite matches. And Italy beating the typically overrated Brazil team 3-2 in '82, thanks to Paolo Rossi's hat-trick.
    Costa Rica beating the jolly Scotch in '90, and even Iran's extremely political and controversial win against America in '98.
    Typically overrated your having a giraffe acido .

Best team I've seen that never won the world cup , Zico , Socrates , Eder , Junior and Falco .

Kin travesty mate !!

Tigger was a 10 year old boy at the time of the world cup in 1966. I was football crazy, I followed every game, I was so excited as England progressed toward the final. What could possibly go wrong. My brother !!! He was 9 years older than me and totally not into football. He chose the day of the final to get married. Tigger had to go to the wedding and miss the final. Tigger, needless to say had a face like a slapped arse and to make it worse I was the door trapper (opening the car doors) and I trapped my thumb in one of the car doors. Not an understatement to say that Tigger was not very happy that day.

Mario Kempes at the 78 world cup , socks rolled down and scoring some seriously good goals to win Argentina their first world cup , as a 16 year old kid I thought Mario Kempes was fecking brilliant in that tournament .

Roberto Baggio at the 94 world cup who seemingly took Italy to the final against Brazil on his own , shame about the penalty in the shoot out mind .

Not a popular view but Maradona did single handily win a world cup in 1986 , yep the hand of god was a travesty but the second goal and the two in the semi against Belgium were off the scale , genius .

David Platt in the last minute against Belgium at Italia 90 , what a moment .
    1978 world cup stands out for me, loved Mario Kempe's in that tournament, also Archie Gemmill scoring against Brazil or Holland can't quite remember. Also taking bags of cut up newspapers to Oakwell to throw in the air when reds came out as in that World cup.

It was just before my time as a fan, but after reading about it since then, its clear why most people say that '78 was the most blatantly rigged world cup ever (at the time anyway, until these allegations about Platini fixing things for France also came to light).

Typically overrated your having a giraffe acido . Best team I've seen that never won the world cup , Zico , Socrates , Eder , Junior and Falco . Kin travesty mate !!
    Yes they were an impressive Brazilian team Animal, and I remember that '82 tournament for allsorts of good reasons and it was my first WCup as a fan. However, don't you all get sick of the media creaming themselves over Brazil at every single WCup, its pathetic to be honest. And when I look back to that match, I was cheering for Italy and Paolo Rossi scored the winning hat trick didn't he.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast